1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB Drive Folder Navigation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by skuldar, May 25, 2014.

1. skuldar

skuldar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My biggest convenience complaint is the awkwardness of navigating a large set of music folders on the USB thumb drive I use. The display screen scrolling capability is very slow, even if it were not disabled at any speed. When driving, I have to hold the up or down steering wheel buttons to move between folders one-by-one, which is very slow because I have about a hundred folders. At least it wraps, but if I am on, say, folder 20 and I want to get to folder 60, I have to hold and click the button 40 times.

Is there any alternative to that, assuming the constants of a USB drive and many folders?

2. Kurt Weiske

Kurt Weiske Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The documentation calls out nested folders as a limitation - Do you have a lot of subfolders? I had 3 levels when I copied my music over to a key drive, and have noticed an improvement in speed when scanning up/down by "flattening" them all, making the directory 1 folder deep.

On my unit, I can use the alphabet soft-keys to skip around quickly, even while driving.

I'm wondering if a combination of removing nested sub-folders and finding a really fast USB drive might help.

3. skuldar

skuldar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I only have 2 levels of folders. So each band has a folder, then each album, but the third level is all audio files. I have prepared my archive for flattening to just 1 level of folder, but I haven't done it yet.

Also, I don't see any alpha soft-keys anywhere in the audio interface. This is a 2011 Prius iii. The rotary dial seems to quickly rotate through songs, but not folders. It would more workable if when I hit the Select Folder button, the dial worked at the folder level, but even then that dial is somewhat awkward to use while driving because of the distance.

Maybe I'm must running up against the inherent limitations of the system. USB drive support seems like more of an after-thought and they may not have anticipated large collections.