1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

use B mode to go uphill?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by robertmaria, Mar 31, 2014.

1. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Is it ok to use 'B' to go uphill? My little brand new 2014 c1 tries so hard and it seems that it is revving higher in B mode. I would like to not lug the engine, so higher revs makes more sense, right? I

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe the "B" is for engine braking, not used for acceleration

WilDavis likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes.

Since B mode is only different than D mode while decelerating, you will have no impact going up hill, good or bad. One quirk, no cruise control in B as Toyota is trying to remind you to shift back to D.

(As always, B is a gear you should use like L in an Automatic Transmission, almost never. It can help if you shift to B at the top of a long downhill)

B under the D in the Drive gears? | PriusChat

minkus, WilDavis and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  4. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    B mode is for downhill braking.

5. HotDogWater

HotDogWater Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It should be fine to do, but there's no reason to do so. You're just wasting gas. B mode uses engine braking to slow the car (for long downhill sections) and is less efficient than normal driving. Just push harder on the gas, it'll be fine :)

6. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    B is designed for long downhill descents where constant breaking pressure might cause high heat build up. B uses heavier engine breaking to try to avoid using the friction breaks and emphasizes throwing off that excess heat build up caused by the breaking. It does charge the battery, but not as efficiently as D because B throws away a lot of the energy (the regen meter will still show high because of the engine breaking, but it doesn't account for the lost energy). Basically B is less energy efficient than D and should not be used unless you are making an extremely long downhill descent, such as a person who lives in a mountainous region would.

robertmaria and minkus like this.