1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used car safety record - Prius at top of list

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jul 28, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I remain interested in Prius safety so this recent news report was good news to share and matches my earlier analysis:
    Source: SunLive - Safety ratings strengthened - The Bay's News First

My analysis of the NHTSA fatality data shows the Prius has half the fatal accident rate of the USA fleet.

Bob Wilson

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd be a little dubious of their results. New Zealand has a low population with very many old(er) vehicles on its road and insurance is not compulsory. So how does one find out if someone crashes their car? Especially a 15 year old Mitsubishi out in the sticks (boonies?). I know most collisions here will go through insurance and thus a log kept, but in New Zealand I guess it will only be newer (and thus more likely to be insured) cars that get logged or the very serious accidents.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The data is related to serious injury or death.

The bigger problem IMO with these studies is that they do not normalize the driver. Even today the Prius driver demographic is different than at large, and this was even more true 5 and 10 years ago.

kdewester likes this.
  4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You mean we're all old, boring and safe? :unsure:

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Speak for yourself :p

I was just talking about the average.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Don't forget "all our women are stronger, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average." (thanks to Garrison Keillor who characterized the average Prius owners.)

Bob Wilson

TheEnglishman likes this.
  7. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Appears to me that the data includes Australia which would give a much larger data sample with relatively few very old cars.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anecdotally, from the accidents i've read about here, the prius and their owners come out in pretty good shape, wit owners mostly unscathed.

9. elobster

elobster Lobster

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    The cut & paste is from the link below. (not allowed to post yet)

The results of this research is especially useful for inexperienced drivers purchasing their first vehicles.

"rightcar.govt.nz/used-car-safety-ratings"

How the Used Car Safety Ratings are calculated
    Records from over 5.5 million vehicles in police-reported road crashes in Australia and New Zealand between 1996 and 2011 were analysed by Monash University Accident Research Centre. The ratings were calculated using an internationally reviewed method and are influenced by the vehicle's mass, the structural design of the body, and the safety features fitted to the vehicle, such as airbags and types of seat belts.

Each of the driver protection ratings in the 2013 update has been recalculated based on the most recent crash data available so they are not comparable with the ratings published in previous years. Models of vehicles that cause lower injuries to other road users with which they collide, including other drivers, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists, as well as providing excellent protection for their own driver, and are fitted with Electronic Stability Control (ESC) are awarded the "Safe Pick" label.

The score for each individual model can be compared against the ratings for all other vehicles.
    The driver protection ratings are about the risk of death or serious injury to the driver of the vehicle in the event of a crash. The ratings are not about the risk of being involved in the crash in the first place, which is generally determined by a range of factors including driver behaviour, vehicle condition and the road environment.
    Question: Won't certain kinds of vehicles score a good rating because of the types of people who drive them or where they are driven?
    Answer: These factors were taken into account as much as possible when the data were analysed. The ratings were adjusted for factors such as driver gender and age, type of road user involved, speed limit at the crash location, number of vehicles involved, crash configuration, and year and location of crash. As far as possible the ratings are about the contribution of the vehicle to injury outcomes in a crash and not who was driving the vehicle or where it crashed.
    Cheers

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the post elobster. As far as possible is not very far.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Better than nothing. I remember a study such as this for the time of badge engineering. A Chevy or Pontiac would have a worse rating than a Buick, and yet they were literally the same car.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Better than nothing, but not good enough for the conclusions we are trying to draw. To try and separate out the owner from the car we could look at accident data in the cars people drove before they bought the Prius, perhaps also corrected for age. It is a complicated problem perhaps never to be solved; the best for now is to be aware and not put more import in these car safety data than they deserve.

This is why I pay more attention to the standardized tests.

The Consumer Reports reliability surveys have many instances of badge bias and/or owner differences. The Toyota Corolla/GM Prizm was a great example.

Trollbait likes this.
  13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also, the thread title is misleading. The numbers were for small cars. Given that the Prius really isn't that small it isn't surprising to see a lower rate.

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Any statistical study is going to be subject to errors and I'm OK with that. Absent the raw data, one can speculate about other factors such as 'self-selection' of the Prius by exceptionally skilled and careful drivers. But was the Prius selected because the owners also looked at the empirical crash ratings?

When I examine a statistical report, I first look at the source, not just a news summary of the report.

I would go to original paper or report and try to get access to the raw numbers to see if they are large enough to sustain testable hypothesis. I then look at what is claimed to see if the proposed hypothesis are sustained by the numbers. The first is to determine if the overall accident rate can be calculated with any degree of confidence. The second determines if relative 'models' have enough accidents to establish a rate. For example, a Rolls Royce Silver Phantom would be in such small numbers that a single accident would 'peg the scale'.

I don't rule out bias in the data collection however the 'usual suspects' will have history. But it isn't clear this study warrants that degree of effort.

Bob Wilson

dave77 likes this.