1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Prius Advice - do I need CPO?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by KatieK, Sep 6, 2014.

1. KatieK

KatieK New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All!

Apologies if this has been asked many times over, but I've been searching around the SoCal market quite a bit and keep vacillating back and forth as to whether I need a CPO vehicle. Frankly I'd rather not spend the extra money for one, but am concerned about the battery life/replacement fee horror stories that I've heard around the rumor mill.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...as a side note I'm not completely sold on a specific year or make at this point.

Many thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! i think the question can be answered if more info is provided. if you're looking at newer vehicles, 2-3 years old, under 60, 000 miles complete service record and no accidents, proxy not. if you're looking 4-5 years, closer to 100,000 miles, maybe. and if you're looking older than that, definitely. all the best!(y)

3. writes123

writes123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    CPOs are usually overpriced.

Since you're in SoCal, look for a car that was orginally registered in a CARB state such as CA. The hybrid battery warranty for CARB states is 10 years or 150k miles unlike the standard 8 yr or 100k miles. Enter the VIN of prospective vehicles into toyota owners website to pull up the dealer service history as well. There are some shops that may be able to examine a prius hybrid battery via looking it up and doing some fancy stuff to determine the current state of the hybrid battery. The key is the registration date of the initial purchase.

Some cars have a new hybrid battery that has been installed under CARB warranty. Maybe you'll come across one of those as well.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What is CPO?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    certified pre owned.

6. BPardoe

BPardoe New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on the Prius you are looking at. The CPO and Non-CPO Prius models go through the same inspection and process when coming in to the dealership so either model will be fine. The CPO only ends up being about $1,000 - $1,500 more than the non CPO with the newer years and you get a longer warranty which is always nice. Another benefit to the CPO models are special interest rates. All Toyota CPO models have 2.9% for 60 months if you are planning on financing.