1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Prius VS Used ...?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jrdamien, Jul 22, 2016.

1. jrdamien

jrdamien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I had previously posted about salvaged title vehicles, which seem to be the bulk of what's available on the Minneapolis used Prius market. But I don't want a salvage.

I drive for work, roughly 100 miles a day, and have wanted a Prius for a long time to save on gas. General prices and specs for NON salvage look like:

2008 - 95k miles - $7500
    2010 - 90k - $8900

Even the ones pushing 10k are at 100k miles.

Since I can't find a low mileage Prius for under 10k and everything else, low mileage or otherwise, is a salvage or rebuilt title, doesn't it make more sense to buy a different vehicle altogether? I can get a hail damaged Corolla for 7k with 50k miles on it.

Thoughts?

#1 jrdamien, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Personally, I would stay away from a salvage title vehicle unless I were confident I could afford to fix any unknown issues. Repairing them can mount up quickly.

Can you widen your search area and plan a long weekend road trip to purchase something if you find what you're looking for?

3. jrdamien

jrdamien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm OK with a salvage title as long as it's not a Prius that's salvaged. Especially if it's a hail salvage as I don't really care what my car looks like. :)

I've been looking far and wide. This seems to be a regional price.

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Are these prices for salvage or non-salvage vehicles? I think I'm misunderstanding your OP. I took it to mean these were salvage prices. If not, these aren't too different from prices here in the northeast.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that corolla seems to be the perfect car for you. at 100 miles per day, you should be looking for closer work, or a higher paying job.

6. jrdamien

jrdamien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I fixed my OP.

7. jrdamien

jrdamien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I said a drive 100 miles a day 'for' work, not 'to' work. My job is driving, and it pays a s**t load.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent! why not go for a gen 3 with low miles?

9. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If your need is immediate, yeah, the Corolla could be a good car. If you can take your time for searching, I'd keep looking for a Prius.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk, looking for a decent prius in that price range, that you can throw a hundred miles a day at, is not going to be easy.

jrdamien likes this.
  11. jrdamien

jrdamien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Unfortunately...

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Long term, a Prius can save you money on gas, and can save you money on repairs. (they tend to be rare but expensive)

As you have noticed, it really only makes sense to buy a Prius if you drive it, so 'low mileage' is mostly a dream. (Why pay upfront for a Prius you never drive to save gas with?)

As you have also noticed, the exists a group of driver unwilling to drive a car out of warranty, so 100k and used is common. We do not see a great deal of "I just went out of warranty and my car needs help" but it might happen.

I wish you luck!

13. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    jrdamien,
    Idk your situation but, here's what I can tell you. I have owned 3 Prius and all went well over 100k miles with very few issues. My latest (a 2005) is sitting at 184,211 and is on the original battery. It does burn/lose about a half quart of oil every 5k miles. If either of those cars were taken care of, they would be worth the price and should give you many worry free miles.

14. jrdamien

jrdamien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When did you buy the '05 and how many miles were on it when you bought it?

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Regrettably I think it boils down to this.
    If you can't find the vehicle you want, or are comfortable with, within the price range in which you are shopping? Then perhaps you are looking for the wrong product at the wrong price.

If I wasn't comfortable owning a salvage or rebuilt title Prius ( And I personally would NOT be), and I found that was all I could afford? Then I would investigate other options.

That being said? Why does the dynamic HAVE to be Low Miles and Salvage Title to cost?
    Why not look at perhaps higher mileage, but NOT salvaged titled Prius?
    I find it hard to believe in any developed State in the USA that ONLY or primarily only Salvaged Titled used Prius are available.

I'd be more comfortable, I think, with a well maintained but perhaps older and higher mileage Prius that did NOT have a salvaged title.

However, if you can't find that sweet spot, between budget, and what you want to own? Then changing models or your desired target, might be your best move.

16. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bought in DEC of 2013, it had 14?,??? miles on it (can't remember exact). I wouldn't recommend you buy an 05 at this point but, an 08/9/10/11 w/ 99k or less, def.

17. jrdamien

jrdamien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I AM looking for a NON salvage title with relatively low miles.

But to my mind a NON salvage '08 or '09 with 100-120k miles seems like a gamble, too, insofar as I'd like to drive it 20-25k a year and have it for several years.

18. jrdamien

jrdamien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    How about these? Who would buy/pass?

2008 - 119k - $7500
    2007 - 114k - $6800 - 2 cells replaced in HV
    2006 - 108k - $6900

2012 Corolla - 67k - $6995 - Hail Damaged/Salvage Title

19. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Of those, the Corolla is clearly the best deal.

jrdamien likes this.
  20. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I had a 09 for 113 thousand miles when a Semi ran a red light and dragged me several blocks ahead of the trailer tires. I am sure that if I still had it, it would have 200 thousand miles. (I drive 30 thousand miles a year) As it is I have a 2012 v with 96 thousand miles. Every used car is a gamble as you do not know how careful the previous owner was.

Here is what you can do to minimize repairs to your used Prius:

Try not to overheat your HV Battery coming down steep Mountain passes in hot weather. (In MN, this should be easy) There is some hint that those in steep mountains should use B in hot weather to avoid generating heat in the Battery, which could cost $3000 to replace.

Never jump your Prius from another car or jump other cars with your Prius, done wrong it costs $4000 to replace. A Jump Pack is $40.

Routinely change the ATF in your Transaxle. My advice would be when you buy the car then every 60,000 miles. (DIY should be under $50, at a dealer under $120) The ATF bathes the Motor Generators, any suspended metals in the ATF could cause a short circuit. A new Transaxle would be $5000.

If it was me, when the brakes do finally need maintenance, use the dealer, bleeding the brakes is not trivial. (once in a blue moon, shift to N and stop using the friction brakes, just so they get some use, and you are not surprised when you need them)

#20 JimboPalmer, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016