1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using Prius generating capacity overnite

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by epodietz, Aug 14, 2008.

1. epodietz

epodietz New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have an inverter which can provide up to 75w of household AC from the Prius appliance socket (aka cigaretter lighter socket). I want to use it to power a CPAP machine overnite, which draws around 50 w continuously. My plan is simply to leave the ignition on with the car in park, run an extension cord out of the car to the CPAP machine in my tent, and voila - I'll be able to have a restful night of sleep, free of breathing complications, anywhere I can drive my Prius.

Does anyone see any problems with this scheme (other than someone stealing the car and me getting dragged out of my tent by the extension cord)?

Thanks for any insight!

2. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your idea sounds fine... i guess. I tend to tap strait into the 12v battery ( rear hatch, right side)

This leaves me with the option of hooking up other 12v supplies... like my 12v rechargable spot light.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Prius needs to be in 'Ready' mode for this, or else the 12 volt battery will be discharged. In this mode the engine will cyle on occassionally.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might want to look at something a little more 'umph' for house emergency power:

Prius - UPS Project

Bob Wilson

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    When you use the Prius' 12 v system and a 1 KW (or so) outboard inverter its fuel burn per KWH is very similar to the small Honda portable generators (example EU1000I). I find that impressive as the Prius consumes several hundreds watts for 'housekeeping' in ready mode. Lower emissions and a bit quieter than the Honda as well :)

However, with small external loads (like 100 watts), the Prius will burn nearly as much fuel, so its efficiency at the task suffers. Just sayin'...

7. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    be careful what you try to power and keep an extra couple fuses on hand. i blew out like 4 fuses (these were all the same fuse - cig lighter socket) trying to power some high loads... like a coffee pot!

it seemed that one cig lighter block + inverter seemed to have a higher capacity then the other, not sure.. its probably my imagination

the most i tried to power using my prius was a 13" tv and a satellite reciever + dish switch

i thought the inverter would trip its own circuit breaker before the prius would, but the prius blows first

off topic trivia
    crt monitors usually degauss on power up, and this could easily blow a fuse
    my nec multisync actually took out a ups or two

8. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Many CPAP machines convert to 12VDC internally, so it's very wasteful to use an inverter to go to 120VAC to plug it in. Unfortunately, only a few models allow you to tap directly into the 12v circuitry.

If your CPAP needs to be replaced in the future, you may want to get one that has an option to run off of 12v. Then you just need a 12v adapter without the inverter. (I switched to a Respironics RemStar Plus LX which has this option. Bought it off eBay for a fraction of retail and adjusted it myself to the proper pressure.)

After you do that, you can pick up a Vector or Black & Decker (they're the same company) jump starter like this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000AMMNB2?tag=priuschatcom-20 use this for camping and it can last for 3 nights between charges. It allows me to completely ditch the extension cord. Also, its compressor and jump start capabilities have also proven useful for my less reliable vehicles.