1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VCS, Red Exclamation, Yellow Exclamation, Check Engine Lights all suddenly turned on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by vttym, Aug 31, 2014.

1. vttym

vttym Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey everyone,

While my car was idling in a CVS parking lot, the VCS, Red Exclamation in a triangle, Yellow Exclamation in a circle and the check engine lights all suddenly turned on.

In reading the forums, it seems the two most likely issues would either be the inverter pump (which I had replaced as part of the recall, and I see the fluid moving in the reservoir), or possibly a bad 12v battery (which I had replaced last year with the forum recommended Optima Yellow Top).

I checked for error codes, and there were numerous ones there at first, but I think that might have been related to the old 12v battery dying (I never reset after that). I cleared the codes, and no new codes are generating.

The car has 193,000 miles on it. I have had no performance issues with driving it up until now. I get the oil changed regularly - with the last few oil changes, I've noticed that the car is burning through all of the oil (it's not leaking, as I don't have any oil stains on my driveway). Not sure if that's related to this issue or not.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts that I should consider before I take it into the dealer (which I'd like to avoid if possible).

Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    optima's have been a problem, i would check that out. hopefully, it's not your hybrid battery, but at 193k...

3. vttym

vttym Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I forgot to mention that the car still runs and is drive-able.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess drive it and see what happens. if it throws another code, post it here so the experts can help. all the best!(y)

vttym likes this.
  5. vttym

vttym Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I did do a battery check as part of the troubleshooting -

Press “Vehicle Signal Check” - the battery voltage is shown and should be about 12.4 to 12.8 Volts (normal for an unloaded battery) [My voltage was 12.6]
    - Again without brake pedal, press Power button and release to put a current load on the battery - the voltage should stay above 12.0V (if less than 12.0V the battery is not well, or there is a fault or unusual load somewhere) [my voltage was 11.9 - I thought this was "close enough", but maybe not?]
    - Press brake pedal and press Power button once to enter "Ready" mode - the battery is now charging at about 14V (if less than 13.6V or more than 14.4 there may be a problem with the charging circuit) [my voltage was 14.1]

The second test worried me a little, but considering the other tests were OK, and how close it was to normal, I thought it was ok.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be on it's way out. small fluctuations can make the computers do funny things. i think a meter on the posts in the morning before starting is a better test.

7. vttym

vttym Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the responses. I sure hope it's not the Optima battery, considering I just replaced it.. then again, considering the alternatives, maybe that's not so bad.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    should be under warranty.

9. vttym

vttym Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I drove it a bit more, and what the car was doing wasn't encouraging.

On the 10 minute drive, the battery never got above 2 red bars (mostly was 1 red), and I rarely saw the ICE charging the battery - only braking consistently would show arrows charging the battery. The ICE ran constantly, and there was a significant delay between when I'd push the pedal down, and when I'd feel the engine move the car. Towards the end of the drive, I was flooring it, and not moving much at all. The engine would rev, but it felt like the gear wasn't catching (as if I was holding the clutch down in a manual transmission). After a few seconds, the gear caught and it moved, but it was no where near the power it normally would be, and I was struggling to get up the small hill my house is on.

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wait for it to code, then pull the codes. That should define what the problem really is. Sounds like the 12 volt may not be the problem. A little weak, but still usable IMO.

FWIW, the Optima's are not what they used to be IMO.

Britprius likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, i can't believe the dash didn't light up!

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you say 'burning through all of the oil', do you really mean all?:eek:

13. vttym

vttym Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes - There were times I would have to add oil to make it 5k miles for the oil change. The last few times I had an oil change, they basically said I was running on little to no oil.

Oh, the dash was lit up - it had all the lights I mentioned above on. But I wanted to see if it was driveable, and maybe get it to generate a code (it did not, at least not a code that I could see in the screen you get to from turning the lights on and off while holding Info)

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, that can't be good for the ice, don't you check it between changes? i'm not sure how it plays into the battery problem though.

15. vttym

vttym Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Friend came by with a reader, and pulled 2 codes down: P3014 and P0A80. If I'm reading my search results right on these, that's the traction battery (p0A80) and Battery Block 4 becomes weak (P3014).

Perhaps I should just start looking at a new vehicle.. Toyota's running 0% APR for 60 months for the next few days..... it was a good run, right? :)

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly, go for it!:cool: