1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Version 11.1 DVD upgrade for GEN6 navigation (question/complaint)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bmaxwell, Jan 13, 2012.

1. bmaxwell

bmaxwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought the 11.1 upgrade for the Nav system, and it works, but there is one new feature that I REALLY don't like, and there seems to be no way to disable it. The full DVD Upgrade revision number seems to be "#2011-070 Rev.1(Oct. 3 2011) Version 11.1".

When you are on a major highway (like 95 or 495 or 128, in MA), the right-hand half of the map screen is filled with a scrolling list of Point of Interest icons with an entry in the list for every exit that is ahead of you on the highway. This means that the map portion is shrunken down to just half of the screen.

I spent a LOT of time going through every single option I could find in the menus, at least three times. There is one called POI popups, which I turned OFF, but the stuff still comes up on the screen. I even went to the dealer and their service expert went through it and said that that setting should do it. But it does not. I also have the POI icons disabled, in addition to the "popup".

Does anybody know how to disable this? I have been calling the dealer for the past 2 weeks (the original expert guy is on vacation for a month), but they are not serious about it. They can't even give me a phone number or email address where I can find somebody who knows for sure how this feature works. The service guy said to call him back (again) today, and I called twice, and he didn't return my calls.

I CAN'T STAND this feature, and I am ready to return the disk if it can't be disabled. The service people said they would take it back (at the dealer's parts department) if the feature can't be turned off, but I have yet to find out if they really will. Turns out the DVD package says "NOTE: No Returns Except for Warrantable Concerns" on the label on the envelope. (If I had known that, I would not have purchased the DVD -- but the service person didn't say anything on the phone, and they mailed it to me, so I never had a chance to see the label before I got it).

One reason I can't stand it is because I like to see the entire route back and forth to work so I can see where the yellow and red traffic portions are (I have the traffic feature on XM satellite radio -- which is not free!). But, it's hard enough to see the entire route when you have the whole screen -- it's unusable when you only have half of the screen for the map.

Another reason I don't like it is because the scrolling list of icons doesn't do anything! You would think you could at least press the list to get more info on the places represented by the icons, but you can't.

There is a "Map" button, which temporarily gets rid of the scrolling list, and it zooms in on the area surrounding the exit, and shows the POI icons there (even though I've disabled the POI icons in the settings menu). You can then hit the zoom out button a bunch of times and see the whole screen. BUT, if you do anything else with the screen, like hit the "Audio" button to choose a preset radio station, the scrolling list COMES BACK!!!!!

And, besides, the navigation map itself is now WORSE for my use. It now makes more mistakes where it says to take a "slight left" for example -- but really the road just curves left, and there is not even an intersection at that point sometimes.

I suspect that this might be part of the reason that the DVD is priced lower. I'm guessing that maybe having a Shell or Exxon gas station icon on your screen at the upcoming exit is part of the reason, and maybe there is no way to turn this off. I hope I'm wrong about that.

If I can't find a way to disable this, I'm taking the DVD back -- as soon as they talk to me on the phone, that is.

2. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actually this one is pretty easy. Touch the screen in the bottom left where there is a circle, just above ON>>, then click on Single Map. End of issue.

2 people like this.
  3. bmaxwell

bmaxwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dummy post 1 of 4 to get up to the 5 minimum that it says I need before I can post something containing a URL to the pictures that are on a separate part of this forum. I will post my reply after these dummy messages.

4. bmaxwell

bmaxwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dummy post 2 of 4.

5. bmaxwell

bmaxwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dummy post 3 of 4.

6. bmaxwell

bmaxwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dummy post 4 of 4.

7. bmaxwell

bmaxwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey, thanks! That worked, but it took me a while to figure out that the car has to be moving to be able to change the setting. (And, you might also have to be on a Freeway too -- I only tried changing it while on the Freeway).

The button to push is on the map screen, as shown below. It's the one with the circle containing the little triangle, just above the button in the lower-left with the plus sign in it.
    [​IMG]

After you push that, you see the following screen:
    [​IMG]

This is the screen you will see when the car is not moving. The button just to the right of the "Single Map" button is marked "Freeway", and is greyed-out. When you are moving, if the Freeway function is enabled, the Freeway button will be selected (it will be highlighted in blue), but if you are not moving, it will look just like it does in the picture even if it is selected. If the Freeway button is selected, it enables the list of exits I was complaining about.

To turn off the Freeway function, you have to hit the "Single Map" button while the car is moving.
    -------------------------------------

I didn't realize it, but this function was in the old map DVD too. But, it was never enabled. I don't know how the feature got enabled with the new DVD -- either I enabled it without realizing it, or somebody else did -- or, maybe it defaults that way.

I let the service person at the dealership know about this, and I'm keeping the new DVD. I'm still surprised that he didn't even know about this feature.

I'm also a little embarrassed that I didn't see, before now, that this feature is actually mentioned in the Owner's Manual for the Nav system (I only have the Nav manual that came with my 2010 Prius). But, I had to leaf through a lot of pages before I saw it. I actually did take a look there before, but tried finding it in the Table of Contents and in the Index, and failed to find it. Of course, like lots of other things, it's not very clear how to actually use the feature from the writeup in the manual.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

8. BonGeo

BonGeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :)Can someone tell me if this Version 11.1 DVD upgrade Gen 6 will allow the I phone contact list to be transferred to the 2009 Prius ???

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that pressing Dual Map will enable the Freeway Mode as well. (It'll automatically switch when you enter a road that is designated as a freeway in the map data)