1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Very Minor Collision...Insurance Issues?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PerfectTimingLV, Jan 18, 2014.

1. PerfectTimingLV

PerfectTimingLV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Greetings,

Happy owner of 2012 Prius II here...I have an insurance / minor collision question I am hoping someone can help with.

About three and a half months ago, I had a very slow speed collision with the support beam of the carport in my complex (there was construction closing half of the width of the aisleway, and still learning the dimensions of the vehicle, I misjudged it). I hit it on the front driver's side. It was so minor, I was surprised it caused damage, but the area around the turn signals was pushed in, beneath the headlight. There is also a very minor crack in part of the panel because of it.

I am not at all concerned about the damage from a cosmetic standpoint; it is noticeable to the appearance, but I do not want to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars for strictly an aesthetic issue (as I tell my wife, it helps keep my ego in check). However, here is my dilemma: I have collision and comprehensive insurance coverage on the vehicle. If I choose not to get it fixed, and I am in an accident where there is significant damage that does need to be repaired, am I endangering my insurance coverage? I would, of course, note that there was already very minor damage in that area, especially if the potential collision affected that area. If there was an accident involving a different part of the vehicle though (let's say a rear-end collision where the vehicle had to be repaired), what would my insurance company say/do about the front end damage? I would be honest that the damage was pre-existing and would not expect it to be fixed as part of the other repairs, but would the insurance company be OK with that? Can I even continue having collision and comprehensive coverage?

Any advice? I really don't want to spend any money to get this fixed, but I want to make sure I still have coverage that replaces / fixes the vehicle in the case of a serious accident.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no prolemo, the insurance company doesn't care what condition your car is in, as long as you don't try to get them to fix it if there was an accident they were liable to pay for, as you mentioned.