1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Very with highway MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by MSA14, Jun 21, 2014.

1. MSA14

MSA14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We drove our still "new" prius two for our beach vacation this weekend. We drove short of 400 miles one way at 75-80mph and still managed to get 44mpg calculated.

This is with 3 adults, a baby, and associated luggage that completely packed the hatch and under floor compartment all the way. I'm still amazed how much we were actually able to fit back there, and the tie down lugs are placed very well on this car, I think. The car handled the weight very well, I think. It was stable at high speeds.

Even though this is my first tank under 50mpg(usually achieved driving solo to work), I'm still very happy. We cut our fuel cost in half compared to driving our aging ford edge.

What mpg are you folks getting in high speed interstate driving @ 75+ mph?

Edit: title should be "very happy with highway mpg". How do you edit the title on mobile?

spiderman likes this.
  2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have enough trouble editing on PC. :p

Drive your Prius unloaded under ideal conditions with just you in the car for a tank. That's going to be the best MPG you can expect. Every person and item of luggage only brings it down from there. ;)

That's the rub with MPG figures...they are all based on ideal conditions, not real life. The caveat is that you should still do better than what your last car did under similar conditions.

This is where Ford's EcoBoost got in trouble over MPG projections. EcoBoost is little more than a turbo booster so that they can milk more HP out of a smaller engine. The better MPG is based on NOT engaging that booster. Every time you use it to get the power you want/need, you are killing your MPG average (like the Prius being gunned to use the ICE all the time).

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The only way to edit thread titles is to report your post to a moderator and request the change. Similar for deleting a duplicate thread, etc.

4. Ralith

Ralith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm driving 150-200 miles/day, probably 80-90% of the time at 60 or 70 speed limit, I do 63-64 or 71-72 on CC. I'm the only person in the car, with a few piece of equipment (20-30lb probably) for work.

I have only been driving a week, but the temperatures were 85-90F outside, so with A/C running I am getting 51-52MPG on 2 full tanks so far. Also I live in WV, so it is very mountainous driving. I get about 65+MPG going to work and probably 35-40MPG coming back up the mountain. Tires are Michelin Weatherwise, with a fair bit of mileage (64k on car, so I'd bet first set after OEM probably), I think they are around 38-40 PSI, but I haven't messed with that much yet as I've only owed the car for a week so far!

So far very happy so far with the MPG. I've not really seen much in the way of driving techniques to improve MPG at highway speeds, specially in the large mountains here.

retired4999 likes this.
  5. MSA14

MSA14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! I'm going to dial the speed back down to 70mph on the way home and see what the impact is. I think it'll probably be in the high 40's.

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With lots of hills and generally 2 adults in the car my GenII (less mpg to begin with) with sticky winter snow tires still manages 44-48mpg with interstate driving. Except for the known speed traps where everyone slows down to 70-72 (65mph speed limit) I keep up with the flow of traffic going 85mph in the right lane and if I park it in the left lane, 95mph to 105mph. The Prius is a great little beast.

7. John Knapp

John Knapp Johnk

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just drove 3600 miles, New York to Texas to Oklahoma and back, running 65-75 with two persons and two suitcases in the car, and we got 51.1 mpg with my 2012 Prius 2 per the trip meter. Tire pressure set to 35 front and 33 rear on Goodyear Fuel Max tires. We actually might have got better mileage but my wife tossed in this big rock to take home.. lol

retired4999 likes this.