1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

vibration while driving.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mypriuscious, Nov 25, 2014.

1. mypriuscious

mypriuscious Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2010 Prius III. Purchased at 75,000 miles now at 135,000 miles.

At all different speeds I'm getting a vibration. It used to be much more slight. But in the the past few months it has gotten progressively worse. I have read many other threads about it happening at near idle speeds but haven't found any previous topics concerning my dilemma.

But it happens when I'm trying to accelerate. Not hard acceleration but rather moderate or less. If I take my foot off the accelerator and reapply it it stops. I don't know what to think considering how different the problem is compared to descriptions of the mr2 acting funny.

And the engine is running when this happens. It is not in between turning on or off.

#1 mypriuscious, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  2. mypriuscious

mypriuscious Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As it has gotten worse in the past few days I can say that it when it happens it feels like a misfire or a cylinder not firing.

3. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Its really difficult to judge based on your description.... if engine was misfiring that bad, the check engine would come up. It might be something like CV joints or even tires. Maybe if you describe the problem in more details somebody would give a better answer.

- Alex

4. mypriuscious

mypriuscious Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It was doing it at a stoplight yesterday so the can mark out cv joints. And today while at a stoplight and accelerating on green the acceleration came with two loud clunks while turning over the motor.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    motor mount?

6. mypriuscious

mypriuscious Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I read some people who experienced that, but that wasn't it. It was a misfire indeed. But caused by a faulty egr valve. If I'm remembering what the tech said. This happened with a similar part on a buddy of mine civic. I didn't put the two together. I think because the prius engine turns off and on making it come and go.

#6 mypriuscious, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    bisco likes this.