1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Virginia Update on Tesla Stores

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by wjtracy, Aug 18, 2013.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that as Tesla momentum grows that the dealer lobbies will have a harder and harder time restricting sales.

3. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't know. That is a lot of lobbying money to overcome. Especially in Virginia where pols are apparently easily bought.

The death of the old iFile tax website comes to mind. A cheap to run, free program is killed in favor of telling people to use TurboTax. The bill itself was easily tied to big donations from Intuit and HR Block.

Heck, in this case, you'll have pols who will give a speech about how regulations strangle business, but then bow to the dealer lobby and tell Tesla they can't operate how they want.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...that really messed me up when they got rid of Virginia iFile...I used it every year. Do you really think it was political handout to TurboTax?

5. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't remember the name of the politician who introduced the bill, but there were several in Richmond who received sizable donations from Intuit (TurboTax) and H&R Block that year.

There also was little reason to get rid of it. It apparently was cheap to run and "paid for itself" by encouraging people to file electronically. A couple pols pointed that out, but they were overrun by the money.

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The ironic thing is' the more fuss and legislative deals the auto dealers sponsor the more people hear about Tesla.
    And they hear about them in the framework of politicians and dealers trying to stop Tesla from selling its cars.

I can't think of many organizations people don't like in general other than dealers and politicians. So people check out Tesla in more depth, speeding the adoption of EVs.

LOL. Ok I was curious,so I went looking and found this:
    Honesty/Ethics in Professions | Gallup Historical Trends

Looks like car salesmen and members of congress finished last in terms of high or very high behavior of ethical/honest behavior in a Gallup opinion poll.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the "poop" on the demise of VA iFile tax system fyi (see comments also):

Blue Virginia:: Penny Wise, Pound Foolish, and Bipartisan to Boot

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should have mentioned this earlier.

Virginia will probably be very welcoming of Tesla stores: VA probably has the highest car taxes of any state on a Tesla. Here is what my VA tax spreadsheet predicts for a Tesla. I would need to validate for a real Tesla owner in VA. My number could be low... I think you would need to buy in December to get the January depreciation discount (but rare cars are not in blue book so they probably handle case-by-case on those). Also this is for NoVA area tax rates.

Tesla_S_VA_tax.jpg

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes,, you beat Maine. 5% st + 7.15% 5 years, +0.4%/yr +5% st on elec over 750kWh/mo.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update- I now actually calculate a maximum 25% car tax rate in Virginia (over 10-yrs) inclusive of the new $64/yr hybrid fee. This maximum tax rate case would be for a hypothetical, expensive, clean fuels car with *low* depreciation rate. Since I am assigning a *moderate* depreciation to the Tesla, it comes in closer to 20% estimated car tax over 10 years.