1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Viscosity? We don't need no stinkin' viscosity...

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mr Incredible, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H. L. Pony

H. L. Pony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Now this is the spirit that I find lacking on this board! A sense of adventure and a drive to experiment!

But, you know, if you are willing to put your money where your mouth is, so am I. I'm going shopping for some 5w20!

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, well, the experiment isn't over yet. But what could possibly go wrong?

The LS1 in my Z28 was yammered about as being dangerously required to have a "thick" 30w or even a 40w to keep from self-destructing. I found the lightest 30w I could get locally (5w-30 Havoline Deposit Shield or Castrol Syntec 5w-30) at the time and tried the DS. The UOA numbers were absolutely no different than any of the other 30w's I'd used...which were no different than the 5w-40 M1 Truck & SUV that I tried. Which I also did in my V10 Super Duty with the same results.

3. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Using the right weight oil and oil change interval per Toyota (or any other auto make) is simple and easy to understand, and doesn't need to be questioned whether it's right or wrong, because at a minimum, it is the right thing to do. You can have all the data in the world in front of you, but that's all it is unless you have extensive first hand "hands-on" research that will back up any theories the data may be pointing you to. Toyota didn't just stick a bunch of morons in room and said 'figure out the thing about oil' (let's hope not!). Their maintenance schedules are extensively well researched and thought out, and I haven't seen any evidence other than theory that it should be questioned. Case in point; 2 examples where research was NOT handled properly by an auto company: Ford Pinto gas tank, and GM ignition locks in certain models. In both cases, the auto companies had the data that should have led them to a different decision versus the one ultimately made to remedy the respective defect/problem.

Dan Lovell and Mr Incredible like this.
  4. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    1) If that is the level someone is comfortable with, by all means stick to it.

2) Who's to say what the engineers came up with is what made it's way unaltered to the booklet that came with your car? Marketing says MPGs and long maintenance intervals! How much marketing for the US market is supplanting engineers? Can you quantify it??

3) What does that have to do with oil, and where are any numbers?

Focus.

5. Dan Lovell

Dan Lovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

I gave my opinion, my facts, my reasons, my whys already. Just because you disagree doesn't mean I didn't write my back ups. My responses are not necessarily what might be expected and that should be more than ok. Thanks. :)

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I never said I agreed or disagreed... and you didn't actually say anything other than this is how I do it, until after I asked. Once you responded with why you did it, I told you thanks... why so angry?

7. Dan Lovell

Dan Lovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Angry?

I'm not angry.

I thought that you were angry.

8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No, I was just saying thanks for following along. You had missed part of the requested commentary and then you filled in the blanks. Beginning, middle, end. Please and thank you. :LOL:

9. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Dan, if you aren't going to add anything of substance, please leave. If all you are going to do is start arguments, you'll simply be reported and let the moderator(s) deal with you.

If you wish to discuss as per the original portion of this thread, please advise us of your facts and figures. Otherwise, please leave.

That is all.

10. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Now you are just being argumentative for no good purpose.

"There are no numbers"......for what ??

And those who are posting in this thread obviously ARE thinking about it.

Your recent comments are coming dangerously close to being insulting.

I posted what I did to try and illustrate that there might be factors that NONE of us are really aware of......and that includes you, believe it or not.

Nothing in your reply answered the question: WHY NOT USE WHAT IS RECOMMENDED.
    If you really want to address that, I'm listening. If not, I quit.
    This "discussion" is becoming incredibly boring.

11. Dan Lovell

Dan Lovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Mr. I, I have started nothing. I have added a lot of substance. You don't see it that way because you disagree with me. I'm ok with your disagreeing. I welcome your disagreement, but I don't appreciate your constant bullying when your claims are rebutted.

You just have it out for me because I push back to some of what you write. You don't like that. You hate that.

I have read your post history and you hate it when others push back.

If you don't like my writings you can always ignore them.

Have a good evening. :)

12. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Dan, you have added nothing. You've merely restated your opinion with nothing resembling an argument for it other than "the book says so." We're trying to go beyond that. Restating your opinion another three times does nothing.

Remember this part:
    Read this part carefully - I am not telling you how to maintain your car. I am not telling you what to do. If you want to go by the book, I DON"T CARE. Go for it. But if all you are going to do is blindly repeat the maintenance manual and give no further reasoning...go back into your hole. I am not interested in Absolute Maximum Effectiveness or MPG. That would be an opinion or a statement impossible to prove due to the myriad control points. Make a statement, defend your statement.
    Prove your point, or there's no need to be here.

13. Dan Lovell

Dan Lovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Mr. I, you don't approve of my opinion. Thats ok. It is my response to your thread. Sorry you don't like it. In other words, Toyota has engineered the C to be exceedingly low in maintenance, and I think you often over complicate the maintenance requirements for our wonderful cars. I've had other Toyotas and have always done my own maintenance with few exceptions, and having put 300,000 miles across those cars without any repairs, I feel that my opinions do have some merit. If you want to call my opinions anecdotal, or anything else, I'll not be offended. Seriously, you need to lighten up and find away to be okay with rebuttal, and push back. Sorry you take it as a personal jab, but I assure you that it is not. I don't attack the person, although I might attack the idea ;-).

14. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And for you boys and girls who don't understand what is really going on here.........
    The above quoted statement is the DEFINITION of egotistical and condescending.........
    and there is no need for any of that here.

You are incredible all right.

Dan Lovell likes this.
  15. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Easy Rider, thank you for your participation in this thread. You misunderstand it's purpose and direction, perhaps. That a forum thread is led astray is not news, but it would be nice to keep it on track. I don't wish to be abrasive, but it may appear so on occasion.

The purpose of this thread is NOT to garner opinions. It's purpose was to counter the thought that 0w-20 oil was the only oil to use in the C, and to do so with factual evidence. I showed how close 0w-20 oil viscosity was t0 5w-20 oil, and that they, in fact, overlap their viscosities. There are 5w-20s of a lesser visc than 0w-20s and 0w-20s with visc higher than some 5w-20s. So it would be incorrect to say that all 0w-20s are better for the C than all 5w-20s, and let's discuss using quantifiable information. Opinion is only hot air with nothing to show why you pursue it. We aren't here for opinion.

Like I said before, it may be a short thread, but that's fine with me.

16. Dan Lovell

Dan Lovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

I'd have to agree with you, Easy Rider. Mr. I is a control freak. Study his writings in this thread and in many others in the history. He shows a lot of control-talk. He hates it when others rebut him, disagree with him.

He needs to grow up and accept that fact that it is okay to disagree.

Thats part of being an adult :).

17. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Again, Dan, I'm not looking for your opinion. Please grasp that concept. Back it up with factual evidence of why your opinion is valid or it doesn't belong.

Duh, I started the thread. I know what the purpose is. It isn't to get your opinion again.

If you can't follow directions why is it my fault.

18. Dan Lovell

Dan Lovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Mr. I. I will give my opinion whenever I want.

I will not take orders from you.

Be kind, be sincere, be tolerant of others.

So get over it!

Thanks!

Rules, Mr. I?

Rules?!?

You make the rules?!?

And you are the internet cop too?

I would suggests you try being tolerant, kind, and reasonable.

Learn to be okay with other views, alternative voices, other opinions.

Thanks!

19. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    "Be kind, be sincere, be tolerant of others."
    So why are you here stirring things up and not following the concept of the thread? Why are you bullying me to accept your non-compliance? Why is your opinion required in a non-opinion thread?

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  20. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Disagreeing is one thing, but not contributing to the essence of the thread is another. You have been argumentative from the beginning. I asked you to explain your opinion and you did. I said thanks and you try to start another argument. You don't always have to be on the defensive. Calm down, read what is written and if you can contribute to the questions of the thread, please do so. But going against the wishes of the OP's request is just asinine. It's like walking into a bank and telling the teller to leave you alone because you have the right to be there... While it's true, it doesn't mean you aren't being unnecessarily brash. Let's all take a deep breath and continue with the fact finding mission. While Mr. I isn't exactly the most couth individual I've met on this forum, he is asking for help to find fact. Help or read about others providing help. It's pretty simple to not be a troll.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.