1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Viscosity? We don't need no stinkin' viscosity...

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mr Incredible, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's gotten out of hand here. The OP (Mr. I.) started this thread but he does not own it or create the rules. He can claim he does, but last I checked, this is PriusChat. He presented his case of 'why' and some of us, including me, don't agree with the journey he trying to take us on, or the destination he is trying to lead us to. I have nothing against Mr. I., but his comments in this thread have the appearance of trying to rile up the population, put in some commentary along the way, and then sit back to see what happens and where the dust settles. It almost appears he's questioning authority - he will do what he thinks should be done, not what someone is telling him to do.

He outlined his research, how viscosities overlap with different weighted oils, etc., but I honestly don't see the point he's making. You can be good at presenting data, but if you can't make any determinations, or come to a conclusion that differs from what is documented should be done per the manufacturer, what's the point other than what I said above? He can do all the testing of different viscosities and experiment with his own car and report back, but other than that, he apparently is not changing any minds here.

ztanos likes this.
  2. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Agreed. But what do you do when you are watching a tv show and something you don't like comes on? Do you leave it or do you change the channel and carry on? Sometimes it just isn't worth it, you know? There seems to be a few brash personalities all clashing over a topic. This topic has had a thread closed already. Mr. I tried to restart it and see if anybody had any experiences other than his. Let's be helpful to the topic and either provide data or change the channel.

3. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kind of agree about the tv analogy, but changing the channel is the only response you can take because the tv can't participate with you in a conversation.

I think what most of us can agree on this thread's subject, is additional data is not necessary, but Mr I. thinks it is necessary, or wants us to think it is necessary. Just because someone wants to question something doesn't invalidate their opinion, but it also doesn't dictate the need for more data either.

4. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is a useful compilation that shows the variations within a specified grade. If one wants to investigate the differences among oil performance specifications, see the link below. Especially note the considerable performance differences between Toyota's specified "ILSAC multigrade" and the A5/B5 and A1/B1 ACEA grades.

dataStack

jhinsc and frodoz737 like this.
  5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Arguments always happen when engine oil type, brand, viscosity or change cycle is discussed. The direction this thread took was inevitable considering the majority demographics of Prius owners is not mechanically based.

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly, this post has lost its direction, and this discussion has taken place many times in many various sub-forums. Closing this thread for the sanity of all involved.

frodoz737, citroenjohn and Merkey like this.
  7. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, about that relative viscosities thread...

I thought that for just a moment we might hold a conversation away from the bleating of the sheep, but I see that sheep-fu is strong here. I misunderestimated their ability to make it all about them, rather than the intended thread topic. There is a big difference between having a lot to say and simply talking a lot, but I see there are some upon which the subtleties are lost.

I thank those that had relevant comments and participated in the manner the thread was intended to take. I hope there were at least a few people that found the spreadsheet thought provoking and interesting.

I apologize to those who felt I insulted them. There is a lot of nuance lost through the keyboard when inflection and eye contact is not experienced. But there are those who seem to enjoy the fight since they have nothing else to bring to the table.

The info about the viscosities is easily found online by googling the brand name, the oil weight, and Technical Data Sheet. " Pennzoil Pure Plus 5w-20 Technical data sheet " . It is sometimes enlightening to find things out for yourself.

Happy motoring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.