1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volk Racing CE28 Eco Drive Wheels for Prius Only!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by xfader, Oct 10, 2007.

1. jukeboy

jukeboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    seen at the LA Auto Show:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    But nobody has asked if the TPMS sensors fit! Maybe not if they are including the valvestems.

3. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    it looks nice... should of got a picture of the rear...

4. jukeboy

jukeboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(omgitsroy326 @ Nov 23 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]543420[/snapback]</div>
    by special request...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh no, I'm a long time NASIOC member too (same nick as here, drees, 03 WRX wagon).

The Volks sure are expensive, but they are also very light which should help noticeably off the line. I don't think I could put 17" wheels on the Prius, even if the wheels weighed the same as stock, more of the mass is further away from the hub so they have more inertia. Plus, tires will be more expensive.

I'd think that a nice, light 15" would be ideal since tight handling isn't a top priority with the Prius. The problem with the 16" tire size is that the "ideal" size 195/55/16 is a bit of an oddball. 17" 205/45/17 is pretty common, though, but the again, the bigger the wheel, the heavier the wheel/tires tend to be and also more expensive.

I switch between the Prius & WRX for commuting (trade cars with my wife, my daily commute is about 27mi each way.

The WRX is mildly modified (SPT springs, swaybars, shifter bushings, exhaust, etc). It took me a while to find the ideal combo of parts that suits daily driving well without getting to harsh/loud. It sucks down premium fuel at a rate of 24.5-26.5 mpg depending on how judicious I am with the right foot.

The Prius is still stock, but makes a very good commuter and highway trip car. It doesn't encourage you to drive quickly with the sluggish throttle response, but body roll is better controlled than I thought it would be but it still has a very healthy dose of understeer near the limit. I'd think the TRD sportivo suspension kit and dialing in some negative camber up front would help that out a good deal, but I can't justify spending $900 on it when the suspension on the WRX cost less than $400 (granted, the struts were lightly used 07 WRX takeoffs).

So far getting about 47 mpg in the Prius, so it's saves a good deal of money compared to the WRX in fuel, I estimate if I drove the Prius 5 days a week it'd save me about $35/week at current gas prices! Of course, the WRX still gets driven a couple days a week and the wife takes it out for errands when I have the Prius so actual savings are less than that.

Damn, I've gone on quite a tangent, haven't I!

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't seen any grumpy old men grumping so I guess I better.
    What do you want them thar fancy wheels thar son? They aint nessessary, you don't need em. Ya just goin ta bother the neighbourhood with em.
    Grumble grump grump grump.
    Green house carbon grump grumble gas consumption, moan.

There, I feel all better now.

Nice looking wheels, out of my price range but very nice.
    Would it really be smart to pay the extra freight to have them imported with tyres on? It would be lots cheaper to have bare wheels sent over and find silica compound tyres locally. Would Japanese released tyres meet local standards? I don't know, I'm just raising the question.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Actually Pat, they are rather inexpensive, for Volks. IF I wanted to change my wheels for some reason (too much money, need to spend it ;) ) I'd get a set. Both sizes are amazingly light. I don't think they'd make enough of a mileage improvement to justify the cost, but some don't need that for bling.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If mileage improvement is not enough, these rims will cut down one second from 0 to 60mph. That means about 9.5 seconds.

9. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Cutting 16lb off the wheels does not improve 1 sec of 0-60 times.
    I have my reservation on that claim. <_<
    Definitely nice looking wheels.

10. xfader

xfader Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drees @ Nov 28 2007, 01:21 AM) [snapback]545122[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Drees,

Looks like our member numbers are pretty close, but mine's a little lower. :D You're lucky to still have your WRX. I just put mine up on Craigslist this morning. I can't have both. :( I know I'll miss it, but I do love new things! Hopefully, I can get my Prius soon if/when I sell my car. You know I'm going to put something on it to make it a little bit different. (you know, so I can find it in the parking lot. :rolleyes: ) I like the mag grey with the anthracite Volks look. Looks like I know what color I'm shopping for.

Here's the link if anyone's in the market! http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/car/492054410.html

11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I'd have to figure in the cost of a fifth wheel, just in case something happened to one and they were no longer available/difficult to get.

That's probably the single biggest issue I have with aftermarket wheels: their availability in the years to come.

Also --and this is purely subjective on my part-- I feel like those wheels (and some other ones which have kind of an 'airy' design) expose too much of the brakes and suspension. The parts aren't really anything super special: In the front, for example, the discs are tiny; and in the rear, those cheap drums aren't something which I'd want to show off. And it's not like anything exotic is going on with the suspension, either, IMHO.

But the idea of increasing mileage/performance is really great, on its own merits...I guess I didn't think these wheels were the ones for me, is all (I ended up buying a used set of Touring wheels).

12. h311b3nt

h311b3nt Junior Member

OK your spirited enthusiasm has crossed me from casual lurker to avid participant. Has anyone purchased either the Tom's or the Volk racing wheels? I would love to hear back on performance. Also which tire did you compliment your wheel with? I have some money burnin a whole in the ole pocket.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Nov 28 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]545258[/snapback]</div>
    Having 16 lbs added in my 17" rims with 20mm wider tries does have noticable acceleration impact. I did not do the 0-60mph test but it is noticable.

14. CalvinL

CalvinL 2013 Prius Persona Black Cherry Pearl

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Volk Racing CE28 Eco Drive Wheels for Prius Only!

I found a little more information on those who are curious of its fabrication and/or materials used:

CE28N

But I am not sure if they are the same CE28's we're talking about here... Alum. alloy... good stuff but still...

If "designed for prius" means these are for street use as is, that maybe fine but I have a couple friends who race them in Europe on tracks. So I just hope its "prius street racing" and ot "track racing" since the dynamics are a little different.
    I live in New York/Long Island and go into Manhattan often - I don't fancy a wheel that can't handle a little pothole.

So the main & big question: Anyone take them through a couple potholes yet?

15. SyCo

SyCo Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Rays / Volk Racing are RACING wheels. They are forged wheels which are lighter AND stronger than "cast" wheels commonly sold on the market.

I had a set of Volk TE37 on one of my previous car and they are almost bulletproof. I also have a set of SSR (forged also) on my Street/Drag/Track Civic and they stay straight even after a lot of abuse.

There is a lot of good things regarding forged wheels, except the price ;)

16. fred

fred New Member

found a site called wheel connection. have an alt light in silver 149 each. wt 13.2 each. looked pretty nice.

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Got a direct link, that Wheelconnection.com is just a resource with links, not a direct sales place.

18. SyCo

SyCo Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Konig has some nice 16x7 lightweight wheels also at 13.2 lbs Konig Daylite

and please when looking for wheels look at known or reliable manufacturers. I saw some bad experiences in the past when using "cheap" or unbranded wheels in severe conditions :(

19. l8apexr

l8apexr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Anyone know if TPMS will fit on this wheel yet? If they do, I think I'm going to get a set.

20. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

OK i really want these wheels!!! in the flashier silver color!!!

need to know about TPMS for us 08 drivers/owners?

for the NAY SAYERS - ive had 4sets of VOLK racing wheels on many of my cars, and they are SUPER LIGHT and SUPER STRONG, VOLK racing made their name on the race track, hence the word "racing" in their brand!!!

the CE28N is made with monoblocked forged aluminum alloy as stated on their website

the only difference i honestly see between the "regular ce28 and the eco's are the wheels size and fitment (prius) specific and that is it!!!

so whats going on with the GB? any hope?

if not i will try to work something out let me know!

thanx

side note: friend crashed his 97 prelude going 80mph on a freeway ctr divider, only thing intact were his 18" volk racing ce28n in bronze, rest of car was considered total loss
    i even had pics, but last time my PC crashed i lost them all, thank god for my mac