1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volkswagen unveils Jetta Hybrid for U.S. market, claims 45mpg

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Jan 9, 2012.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Lucas and anything electrical. :eek:

Tom

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Most VW owners that have had problems with the DSG trans agree that the initials mean Doesn't Shift Good. Besides the jolting and banging, many have had problems where it goes into a false neutral and doesn't shift at all.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Anybody know what an out-of-warranty DSG exchange costs ? I would ask used part pricing, but that seems like a bad gamble.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    7 speed automatic transmission? No thanks. I hope to never have an auto tranny again.

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Here you go.
    Discount Volkswagen Parts

6. chughes123

chughes123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Why is VW so dumb?? Don't use a 1.4 liter OTTO cycle gas engine! I don't think they are even using an Atkinson cycle OTTO. VW is not very good with gas engines, take the whopping 31MPG hwy new Beetle for example.

Come on now! It's real easy. Put a 1.2 liter turbodiesel like you have in the European Polo and mate it to a strong hybrid drivetrain.

Bam. Now you have more MPG than any Prius and decent acceleration due to the power of the electric motor.
    55-60MPG HWY is within reach.

I know VW can make that 1.2L Diesel pass emissions in the USA so make it happen and beat the competition! Don't use the oversized 2L diesel engine that you use in the USA Passat, Jetta, Beetle, use the small 1.2L from Europe!

I do like that this hybrid will decouple the drivetrain from the wheels when the gas pedal isn't being pressed. This is in contrast to the Prius, where it has a 'engine drag simulator' by lightly regenerative braking whenever you aren't on the gas pedal. Wastes energy.

7. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Please no diesel
    You get long cancer from it
    WHO research confirmd it

-Htc Tapatalk ( sorry for auto spell correct )

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd imagine the unfortunately, that the costs of hybridizing the car AND making it a "clean" diesel (clean enough to be legally sold in all 50 states) might make its price uncompetitive w/gasoline powered hybrids sold in the US.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting, the JD Powers review has a 'cut-away' view:
    2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Preview | J.D. Power

Some of the other car magazines can't quite wrap their head around it. From what I've read, it should be a Consumer Reports top pick: quiet, fast and probably fairly sporty in handing.

Bob Wilson

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    CR felt that Volkswagen had cheapened the Jetta interior and made the car less nimble. So, unless the hybrid is set up differently it won't be.

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Given what CR did to the VW Beetle just on 'emergency handling,' you may be right. But noise is a big determinant in CR world.

One other thing, the Jetta system looks almost identical to the Hyundai Sonata "Bluemotion" and it has a 35/40 City/Highway ... 37 Combined EPA ranking. I doubt they will achieve 45 MPG but that won't matter for the CR "score."

Bob Wilson

12. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    According to VW they don't put diesels in hybrids because of the extra expense of the diesel, but very little additional fuel economy. A diesel's big advantage is efficiency at light loads, but the hybrid sytsem can make loads bigger, increasing efficiency of the TSI engine.

First Drive: 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid - Motor Trend

btw: motor trend is guessing it will be 46mpg city, 44 mpg highway. We should know the real numbers at the end of the year. This car design should lend itself well to hypermilers. The engine should be very efficient from 1400rpm-3000rpm, and with 84mph gliding and 7 speeds efficient pulse glide should be fairly easy.