1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volunteer to test 12V voltage range and Prius model(s)?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Feb 7, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

My recent experience with our NHW11 and a failing 12V battery has shown:

1) 12.85-11.9V - normal 12V battery range, all functions work.
    2) 11.3V - the remote key-less entry seems to be failing.
    3) 9.8V - lowest voltage measured that starts the car.

It appears some Prius functions, remote key-less being one, and the ability to start the car being the other are voltage dependent (assuming enough current.) But I don't really know the limits.

Does someone with a good DC power supply (0-13V DC, 10A or better) and a Prius do an experiment to answer:

1) At what voltage does the remote key-less entry fail?
    2) At what voltage does the Prius no longer start?

There may be some current minimums too if the power supply also has a current limiting function.

Alternatively, if these voltage and current ranges can be found in Toyota's TIS or other sites, please share.

With this information, we may be able to use 'key-less entry failure' as an ad hoc diagnostic for a weak 12V battery BEFORE the car won't start. Yes, we can use the 'secret' diagnostic screen or an OBD scanner or a VOM to read out the voltage. However, we often deal with 'non-technical' people who may have difficulty with more technical approaches. Finding 'things already in the car' that do not work can give an easier way to communicate with non-technical folks.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

scotman27 likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Bob, Another 'non-technical' test is how fast the power windows are with the car in ACC then in READY.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think that is in the current-range tests versus a voltage range test.

Bob Wilson