1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vote for the 2013 Diesel Car of the Year

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by eheath, Mar 3, 2013.

1. eheath

eheath Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There's still time to vote for your favorite diesel (we all have a favorite diesel, right?) including cars from Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and VW . Click here or below to vote.

Place Your Vote for the 2013 Diesel Car of the Year

[​IMG]

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Diesel ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

3. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My favorite Diesel, let me think, how about the one in the Junk Yard

4. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hate paying for premium gas? Try diesel.

5. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1983 Maxima lol

But really, late 94 Cummins 12V

massparanoia likes this.
  6. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Diesel is the past. EV is the future.

sdtundra likes this.
  7. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Man if I had a dollar for the people that say diesel is better than hybrid...then when I mention the fact that I get 50 vs. 40 that their Jetta TDI gets all while paying less per gallon I get the "well it'll run after 500k miles..." yes, but will the electrical systems?

8. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Diesel will run the panet into the ground, it's filthy, and it supports foreign governments who hate Americans. Diesel costs more than gas, and electricity s cheaper than both. Diesel is the past. Old hat.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Diesel engines have the better prospects in using renewable fuels currently. Ford and GM ones can run B20. That's a larger potential displacement of petroleum than using E10.

Modern exhaust treatments have greatly cleaned them up. Using a DPF means no soot in the tailpipe, or elsewhere.

No hybrid has been able to perform a truck's duties without upsizing the engine, and reducing their fuel savings. Gas truck fuel economy plummets while towing.

People balk at the cost of premium gas, but the cost per mile might be lower than regular. Same may be true for diesel.

We should be expanding the natural gas lines so that homes can get off heating oil. That would reduce some upward pressure on diesel prices. Heating oil and the heaters burning are far dirtier than any modern diesel car.

massparanoia and wxman like this.
  10. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Diesel Study

Current Diesel engines get better fuel economy and produce 24-33% less co2 emissions than their gas counterparts. Isn't co2 what everyone gets all crazy about when they talk about the global warming scam?

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Uh, I haven't looked over the old study carefully but from Emission Facts: Average Carbon Dioxide Emissions Resulting from Gasoline and Diesel Fuel | US EPA, burning gallon of diesel causes greater CO2 emissions than a gallon of gasoline.

Yes, diesels get better FE than their pure gasoline counterparts but not necessarily vs. full-hybrids. No mass market diesel car currently sold in the US has the same or better combined mileage than the Prius. Even if it did match, per the above, it would still cause greater CO2 emissions.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The green I care about are in my wallet:
    • 52 MPG
    • 87 octane gas, E10 OK
    • over 150,000 miles with original brakes
    If someone wants to drive a diesel:
    • 40 MPG (what we're seeing in Fuelly and the EPA user reports)
    • low-sulfur diesel, 115% of 87 octane E10
    • 60,000 miles between brake jobs
    Please, enjoy spending your 'green' to others every two-three weeks.

Bob Wilson

ps. As for global warming, be sure and buy some of today's beachfront property.

cwerdna likes this.
  13. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This seems like it is talking about the co2 contained in diesel vs the other article about the cars themselves. I'll have to look more closely when I'm not lying in bed in insomnia mode.

14. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The cost difference between a diesel and a hybrid will more than cover an extra trip to autozone for a set of brake pads. Might even be able to get a gold plated c clamp to push the piston back in the caliper with.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What cost difference are you talking about? Most of the "clean diesels" at TDI Clean Diesel – Volkswagen of America have similar prices to a Prius liftback, if not higher prices. Many of them are also classified by the EPA as compacts vs. the midsized Prius. None of them are as cheap as the Prius c.

Look at the specs tab of Compare Side-by-Side as well as the # of tons of CO2 per year (drop down under Units) under Energy and Environment. Also change Show to Tailpipe & upgrstream GHG. To top it off, select California for state of purchase to look at the EPA smog scores.

Take a look at diesel vs. regular unleaded prices at http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/.

16. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You're all assuming diesel is better in cars, whereas the logical place for them is in SUV's such as the BMW X5, Audi Q7 or Range Rovers. Hybrids don't work as well in such vehicles when they're used for towing. A friend of mine bought a new Range Rover V8 diesel and it was so quiet I thought it was petrol!

Those of you who haven't seen a diesel car since 1983 really need to go an look and LISTEN to the latest diesels. Sure, it's debatable they'd be worthwhile in a Jetta sized car, but don't entirely close your minds.

massparanoia likes this.
  17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Oh, I've heard them. I've seen modern VW TDIs every now and then in the past year. Their engine sound is distinctive and most definitely can't be mistaken for a gasoline powered engine.

18. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Base prius is about $1000-$1500 more depending on market according to truecar. Not sure what the EPA calls a midsize or compact these days but I have driven both and interior room is equal. As far as all the co2 hooplah I'm not worried about that. And as for California's smog problem, well I'm not worried about that either. Diesel isn't that far off gasoline here. I was originally looking at the tdi when I was car shopping, the only reason I went Prius is because toyota was still offering the $1000 rebate on 2011s at the time, before gas prices went all crazy.

19. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With a lot of new gas engines turning to direct injection they are all starting to sound similar. A friend has a new f350 with the 6.7 power stroke and unless you saw the giant "6.7" badges on the side you couldn't hear the difference. That is until the turbo spooled up...

20. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did I say the VW engine? Nope. I said the Range Rover V8 diesel.

It also appears you get the shite diesel engines because they're the biggest displacement available for a small car. The Audi 2.0 A4 diesel is actually nicer to drive than the 3.0 V6 diesel you get. (I've driven both).

I'm surprised at this debate. We all hear the anti hybrid brigade saying how useless hybrids are without actually wanting to find the facts and look into things further, yet here we are with closed minds regarding diesels.

Trollbait likes this.