1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VOTE!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by InTheWASide, Oct 31, 2004.

1. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Gonna keep this real simple kids, we all need to get out and vote. I could spend a lot of time, get all political and try to convince you to vote for who I\'m voting for. Instead, I\'ll simply say this. GET OUT THERE AND VOTE. If you\'re an absentee, take the time to go INTO A POST OFFICE and get your envelope POST MARKED NOVEMBER 2ND!! This election could efect more than the next 4 years depending on who gets elected, and I have no doubt that the more VOTES that take place, the more likely it will be that the will of this country will be done.
    So please all, get out there and vote!!</span>

<span style=\'color:red\'>I\'m aware this isn\'t a message about the PRIUS, but it is extremely important that all see this and are reminded to vote, right Danny, so I only ask that this post stay in the main forum where the majority of members can see it, until after election day. Then you all can delete it or move it to a new area or whatever, but please leave it where the majority can see it until the polls close. THANK YOU!

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well said.
    Put up or shut up.

3. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With early voting in so many states now, it's beginning to be a very lame excuse to not go out and do the civic duty. I voted, and voted the second day of the early voting window.

As a mod, I will not move this thread. However, people do need to remember that this is not a general discussion forum, and off topic threads will be moved to the correct forum if they are posted here. If one of the other mods, or Danny decides to move this thread, it will be their call.

4. DanH

DanH New Member

Ah yes, vote early and vote often! :lol:

5. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Thank you Wolfman. This year it's so very important everyone get out there, I was hoping you all would be more willing to leave it here for a couple days, especially if it was non-partisan, i.e. not promoting a certain candidate etc. I felt it best to not even mention who I'm voting for in this thread to keep the legitimacy of my non-partisan advertising of this thread, and thank you for the oppurtunity to leave this up.

One thing to add, anyone that has missed thier registration date and CAN'T vote this year, be sure to remind others to vote, and go out today and register, so you can at least be all set next time!!

Take care all, I know where I'll be on Nov 2nd (I already voted, so...) In front of one of the many 24/7 news stations. :)

6. rflagg

rflagg Member

This year, at the end of the election, both sides will have real reason to have serious victory parties.

This year is showing up to be the biggest voter turnout in our nation's history. Please, please, please vote! The polls open at 6am, close at 7pm - supposedly if you're in line by 7pm, you'll still get to vote. The lines WILL be long this year, a report today says they're 500k short of volunteers. Arrive before work - every workplace is required to allow time for you to vote.

Regardless of your feelings on our current and past wars, this is the one of the many freedoms every soldier has faught, died, or been wounded for. If you do not register your voice to be heard, no one will hear it. Have a great Monday and I'll see you at the polls!! :)

-m.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I won't move it, instead I'll make it a Global Announcement today & tomorrow until the polls close. Then we can move it to FHOP and have some OT discussion on the outcome.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If, for some reason, you're still undecided and looking for information you can count on, Fact Check.org has put out a nice summary of the lies and evasions of both campaings... Pick the one you thought distorted the facts the least!!

Fact Check.org Summary

9. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

...here come the (election) judge...

About the Absentee postmark in the original post, local election laws may vary, but a Nov. 2 postmark does NOT guarantee your absentee vote will count in my county (DuPage). They must receive your absentee ballot by the close of the polls on that date. And you can't bring anyone's absentee ballot to a polling place; it must be mailed.

Again, local laws vary and I am not trying to panic anyone. I'm just saying, while there's still time, if you have an absentee ballot and it hasn't gone in yet, you always have the right to show up in person and vote. Of course, it would help the paperwork (there's always paperwork) if you mentioned there was an absentee application for that person. But a vote in person is always allowed.

Whether ID is required can really vary by location and situation. If you have voted before in the same place, you have the advantage of being known to your neighbors who work in the polling place. If you registered by mail and are voting for the first time, NO ONE has seen you in person and you will have to show some ID. Yes, you may have to prove where you live, what you look like, and what your signature looks like.

Provisional voting in most states allows you to provide this identification AFTER you vote (but not long after - provisional ballots are set aside while issues are resolved).

Sorry for going on, but all this really means is there are rules in place to make sure one person gets one vote. So please use your right.

10. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

Vote early, vote often...seriously, get out and vote.

With regard to provisional voting...if you are a first time voter, take a driver's license, work id with photo, utility bill, bank account statement with your address and the like....try to get a vote and not a provisional vote. If you are not a first timer at your polling place, no identification is needed - but take it along just in case.

If you're voting in Souther Chester County PA tomorrow, look for my Black Prius with the Re-Defeat Bush sticker at various polling places...I'm working as one of the 10,000 DNC attorneys who will make sure that if you are registered, you will get to vote.

11. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To 2020.. All I know is it seems like all my years of savings are going forward in buying a future house (not a home) with a built in bunker or get out of this country for good. A lot of people are voting just looking at the TV commercial not realizing the real impact of the long term reprocussion. I grew up in the 80's, I was a college student, self supporting, minimum wage job and I was able to gas up my beat up car, my tuition, give my mom monthly rental and my food. I couldn't ask for anything more at that time because I know that things will change for the better and I was in USA.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm in it for the long haul, too cold in canada...

13. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Amelia the Flying Squirrel makes presidential election prediction

Selection methodology: In an attempt to be as fair as possible, the seeds were all from the same bag. They were weighed and measured to find two as close in size and thickness as possible. The two seeds were then placed in a cup.

The first one that poured out, as it was tipped, was given the incumbent’s last name initial “T,” and the second got the “B” for Biden. They were then placed in the front center of the platform in Amelia’s cage, which offered numerous options of approach.

Prediction time: Amelia started from the top of her cage and ran down once the seeds were placed down for her “selection.”
    Results: After smelling both candidates, Amelia chose the “T” seed, predicting Trump’s second term.
    See video:
    https://wtop.com/animals-pets/2020/11/amelia-the-flying-squirrel-makes-presidential-election-prediction/?jwsource=em

[​IMG]

Thanks, Joe

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Worked in the polls until well past midnight last night, and back again at oh-dark-thirty today until COB....then working until midnight again to catch up at my 9-5 (ish) job.
    Tough slog but nice to know that my little corner of the world is as fair as elections can be......AND THEY ARE!!

Not digging for praise....just reminding everybody that in our 52 laboratories of democracy, there are a lot of folks who have to go for 2-3 nights of very short rest while hand processing absentee ballots, mail-in ballots, UOCAVA ballots (look it up and learn something!) ballots from the disabled, etc.
    These result in a dizzying array of over-counts (voting for more than the allowed choices in a particular race), under counts (not voting for one of the choices - or - write-in vote) spoiled ballots, soiled ballots, non-scannable ballots requiring duplication, rejected and challenged ballots.
    Even ballots from strange and ferign lands.
    I was elevated to my county's resolution board, which means that I had the high honor of validating and in some cases duplicating votes for the just and unjust alike.
    We still have to meet and adjudicate those ballots which were cast provisionally or postmarked on or before the appropriate date that were not delivered on time by our fine postal service.

It's the same as in juries.
    You can be part of the problem.......or......in the absence of getting off of your backside and participating..........AT LEAST educate yourself about the voting laws that apply in your state!!

Who knows?
    You can maybe even lend a hand!!!!
    Volunteer as a poll worker or observer......or.....at LEAST GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND VOTE!!

In most states....50 percent of eligible residents are registered, and in most elections about half (or less) of these can actually be bothered to vote.
    WHICH.....gives us more or less what we deserve.
    Not a dearth of palatable candidates.....(although this certainly does exist) but a condition in which nearly everyone is more or less self-disenfranchised.

Me?
    When I wake up tomorrow?

I'm gonna feel pretty good about this election.
    NOT because of one race or other but because I helped make the sausage......and the stuff they have in these parts has some ingredients that I don't normally care for, but as a WHOLE????

Pretty good stuff! :)

#15 ETC(SS), Nov 4, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what state are you in?

17. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My beloved home state is Indiana.
    My adopted home state is somewhere in the deep South.
    I don't give more specific information about my hereabouts NOT from fear of those who spend their existence being 'digitally brave' but rather because some of the ladies in my orbit are a little on the shy side.

Not directed at all at you, buddy.
    I'd trust you with all of my SF-86 (gov't background investigation questionnaire) info....and besides.....all that info got sold off to the CHI-COMMS years ago.

If you're not going to be able to sleep at night without knowing, then PM me.... ;)

#17 ETC(SS), Nov 4, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    bisco likes this.
  18. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Having read posts on here since 2009, I thought your location was pretty obvious, not that I'm saying.;)

I've never missed an opportunity to vote since 1976, not once.

ETC(SS) likes this.
  19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't remember missing any primary or general. I'm not 100% positive I could reconstruct my whereabouts for every municipal, etc.

Jury service has been much less frequent here than when I lived in Detroit. The state courts for that county used a so-called "one day / one trial" system to manage their jury pool, which resulted in cycling through the pool much faster than neighboring counties. My dad in the next county north couldn't remember if he'd ever received a summons there, when I mentioned my second or third in a handful of years. But then Detroit itself, having been a city long before there was a state, had its own court with jurisdiction over similar cases—dissolved more recently, I hear, but still around when I was there. All told, there were more ways to find a jury summons in the mailbox than you could shake a stick at.

Since moving here I think I've had two summonses in a quarter century. Maybe three.

I don't remember if I ever had a summons from the federal court, where I worked. I think I did, once. When I would get a summons in another court, work colleagues had a theory that I'd usually get chucked off the panel right after the "where do you work?" question in voir dire, as either the prosecution or defense counsel wouldn't want a juror who's seen too much sausage made. Oddly, that was never my experience.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    142 million votes out of 240m eligible voters is shockingly low for this election.