1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Waking the Dead

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mendel Leisk, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Anyone watching this British crime drama? It ran for nine seasons, wrapped up maybe four years back, on BBC. We're seriously hooked, curious if anyone else loves this show. Please: no spoilers.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No time......
    I'll might put it on the bucket list, depending on how it sniffs out.

Funny thing about some of the stuff we're starting to see from across the pond......
    They don't have the budget for overpaid stars and mind blowing sets and FX....so they have to 'settle' for superior plots and writing.

3. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Britain has always had a large number of very good journeyman actors (both genders) who turn their hand to film, TV, stage, radio, according to where the work is.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Waking the Dead? It was a low budget show on an obscure channel if I recall. I watched it for a few episodes but it never really went anywhere and slowly fizzled out. Now there might indeed be some finale but I couldn't possibly say :)

If you liked Waking the Dead you might also like another low budget show of a similar type, In the Flesh. It's pretty much about life settling down AFTER a failed zombie apocalypse, how the zombies can be treated medically and turned back into 'normal' human beings and how humans and the Zombies or PDS (Partially Deceased Syndrome) sufferers as they now known, interact. Lots of serious subject matter with overtones or connections to race, sexuality, bigotry etc, but in a watchable way. It's a take on the Zombie bandwagon without the usual head shooting/smashing nonsense.

Not sure if you guys get it over there but In The Flesh is definitely worth a watch.

This link gives an idea but don't read it if you don't want to know what happens ;)

In the Flesh (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Onager

Onager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Huge Dr. Who fan but I'll check it out. British mysteries are pretty good so is their Sci Fi.

6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well the new Dr Who is actually ok. The first episode is a bit lame but the second one with Robin Hood is fun. Much better than the dross that was Matt Smith. But this is coming from someone who was then wasn't then might be a fan again. Couldn't bare Matt Smith; he was just a tit.

7. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You left out the Daleks episode!

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol so I did. Yeah that was ok. Told you I wasn't a fan as such. It reminded me of a Tom Baker late 70's episode but it didn't really go anywhere did it. The Robin Hood one was much more interesting.

9. Onager

Onager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LoL! The Old Timers and British fans don't seem to stomach a young gregarious Dr. Who very well!

10. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My youngest hated him and actually much prefers to watch the old Pertwee and Baker episodes. He was even hooked on one of the old b&w first series episodes the other week. I think they're slower and easier to understand for a child. And I wonder if that's where the later series of Dr Who has gone wrong? They write the story to appeal to fans and give them what they want rather than what a 7 year old would like, whilst still making it watchable to adults. I think they tried to address that with Matt Smith but in a patronising way. I liked Dr Who as a kid as I didn't see it as a kids programme (even though it obviously was).

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hmm, the byzantine complexity of some Waking the Dead episodes has me wishing for slower and easier to understand too. Most episodes tie up most of the lose ends, though a couple seem to leave the original perpetrators "at large" or just sorta forgotten...

12. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just started on In The Flesh. It seems very good.

13. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Spooks was brilliant for that sort of thing. They blew up about two things in six seasons, and had to rely on good writing and good acting.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our latest addiction is Forbrydelsen (original, Danish version of "The Killing"). The title actually translates to "The Crime", I've read. Just about done season 3, no spoilers please.

Season one in particular very captivating. Sofie Grabol as Sarah Lund is just captivating. Amazing show. If I was gonna quibble: there's a few loopholes (or maybe my brain cells overtaxed), and the political side seems a bit tacked on, and drags at times.

Still, very worth watching.