1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Want energy saver A/S tires, but not available???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ktnws, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Ktnws

Ktnws Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I need new tires for my 2011 Prius IV and I want the energy saver A/S, but they are back ordered (checked Discount Tire, which has a great sale this weekend and COSTCO). I called Michelin directly and they acknowledged these tires are NOT CURRENTLY IN PRODUCTION. They politely said I could check back in 4 weeks to see if they were forecasted to begin production then.
    I think they need replacing now and I need a recommendation.

I live in Sunny San Diego and MPG is my # 1 priority. I currently average 53 mpg and don’t want to lose anything, is that realistic with any tire out there?
    Suggestions?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sams Club has the Michelin Energy Saver (not the A/S, but San Diego does not have All Seasons) For $140 a tire with $70 off if you buy 4.

Michelin Energy Saver - 195/65R15 91H - Sam's Club
    You order and they email when they get them. (they listed no tires your size in stock)

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That is the same response I had from Michelin and my local tire shops over 25,000 miles ago. They are still listed but hard to find. I just went with the Defenders and moved on.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is a familiar refrain. The Michelin business model is a bit of a head shaker. We've got 17", but for 15" the Energy Saver A/S would be my first choice too. Except, with this spotty availability, I'd likely throw in the towel, go for Bridgestone Ecopia EP20.

5. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Makes me uncomfortable thinking about the possibility of having a tire that can't be repaired. If you manage to get a set of 4, then can't replace one if the awful happens, it is like buying a set of discontinued tires.

Hope they get on the ball soon.

Roland

6. Spindifferent

Spindifferent Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is odd how some people have more success than others. there are a few others equally as good, read through some tyre threads for more advice.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TireRack.com seesm to have them

9. Ktnws

Ktnws Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, I have been waiting for about 2 months, only place I found the tires in stock wanted almost $800, no way am I doing that. Decided the Continetal pure contact looked interesting and Discount tire had fabulous sale today. Bought 4 new tires with full replacement warranty out the door $380. Figured at that price can't go wrong.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    those are supposed to be excellent, all the best!(y)

11. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Great price on great tires. I was very close to going with those for my replacements, but as I am further north than you, and snow and ice are a concern with lower temperatures than all season tires like, went with some Nokians that have a severe weather rating but are for all year use. Reviewers on tirerack say the Purecontacts do well in ice and snow and pretty much all conditions though.

Roland