1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning Light after repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AJBC, May 28, 2015.

1. AJBC

AJBC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Guys,

I had my petrol engine water pump replaced yesterday at a local mechanic, as it was leaking coolant. As far as I know the hybrid water pump is fine.
    After about 15-20 minutes of driving, I get a red exclamation mark flash on the dash, followed by "Problem" on the MFD. It happens once, then a few minutes later, 3 more times within a couple of minutes for about 5 seconds at a time. I stopped to try and figure out what it was, couldn't, then continued on and didn't encounter the error again.

This morning while driving to work, it happened again after about 20 minutes, but this time after the "problem" it gave me an actual error symbol in the left corner of the MFD. It is the symbol for "high coolant temperature".

I had them install an off-market water pump as they assured me it was just as good quality, and came with the same warranties as a toyota pump, and was overall $150 cheaper.
    Could this be a faulty pump, or have they installed it incorrectly?

Thanks guys

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps they didn't bleed all the air out, it's bit more difficult than a regular car.

3. AJBC

AJBC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Right okay, thanks for that.

I am taking it in tomorrow to get them to look at it, is there anything I should tell them that they need to do?

This was why I've been using Toyota since I got the car, I've felt that local mechanics just won't be as well versed in the minutiae of the car, and I've been willing to pay a huge premium at Toyota for piece of mind.
    Toyota quoted me $550 for the water pump replacement, and the local dealer did it for $250 with an off-market pump, so I couldn't really justify that.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't blame you for that. the trick is finding a mech who is wiling to check toyota service lit and follow it, instead of assuming the prius is the same as any other car. some things are, some things aren't.
    MERGED
    i don't know the process off hand, but there are threads here with complete instructions, or you can try googling youtube.

#4 bisco, May 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2015
  5. Per Stumo

Per Stumo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I changed the engine water pump myself about a year ago. Quite easy to do. I'm not saying that to brag, just saying any mechanic should be able to do it easily.

Maybe the aftermarket pump installed is faulty? No odd sounds or leaks in the area where it sits? (left side of engine)

6. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    did you check the fluid level in the radiator?
    are the fans still working?
    I know I would not drive it that way if you blow a head gasket the shop isn't going to fix it for free..

7. dpeverhart

dpeverhart Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Most likely it needs coolant and bled. Air pockets can be stubborn to remove.