1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warranty on bulbs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by web1b, Mar 24, 2012.

1. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have actually had a couple of issues with this on the Lexus vehicles -- Lexus had a problem with the license plate socket corrosion. It was actually a design flaw that allowed water into the socket.

They would cover the cost of the socket under the CPO and then charge you to replace the bulb. They sometimes did this with the key fob batteries also.

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually checked the warranty booklet in my all toyota cars and they have almost identical exclusions and bulbs are not among them. At the same time typical maintenance items are excluded. I was surprised myself, but I do admit bulbs last long time these days.

3. web1b

web1b Active Member

Someone posted that GM includes bulbs in the first 36 months, so it shouldn't be that surprising that Toyota does also.
    Cheap good PR to not look petty by trying to justify excluding bulbs that might fail right after driving off the lot if they were defective or deal with different service managers making up arbitrary time limits of what they want to consider normal vs premature bulb failure. 36 months is reasonable.
    There was a big deal that the HID bulbs in Gen II Prius had a high failure rate not long after 3 years, so Toyota extended the coverage PAST 36K miles to 5 years, 50K miles after a class action lawsuit settlement.