1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

water damage in transmission????

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by slaino, Mar 15, 2013.

1. slaino

slaino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ok this sucks!! No one is taking the responsibility for the water in my transmission. I brought it to sunrise toyota because the car was making a noise and 600 dollars later- mind you new tires were put on before they even diagnosed my car, told me to take it home it can not be fixed it has water damage from the storm..joke, ha ha...I live in SC and was not in Storm Sandy but they insisted I was. Took it to another shop and it was agreed that yes there is water damage but no one knows how it got there. Insurance don't want to hear about it, neither does Toyota motors. They insist my insurance cover it and i am told it should be under warrantee. Who stands behind the consumer??? My car is 2 yrs old and brought it in for a noise and then told to take it out of the shop because they don't want to deal with it. My car is freaken useless now with new 600 plus tires and Its not drivable..and worse now because all the lights are going on saying there's a problem with ABS and slippery roads and the brakes go to the floor. Oh did I say there is a new dent in my car as well..one that occurred while being at the Toyota dealer in oakdale.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    TsKarma likes this.
  3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Red flags all over in this one. Who would install water in tranny? How and why?

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Was your car ever driven through high water or allowed to sit in high water? That is the only way that I can see of getting water in the transaxle.

I can understand the dealership balking at repair.

5. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think I smell a fish.

6. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    After being under my car replacing the passenger axle, I don't see how water would get into the transaxle unless you drove through high water or it sat in high water. High water would be submerging just about half of the wheel in water. That is just about the height where the axle fits into the transaxle. Water could seep in from that area.

I can also see why the dealer would balk at this falling under warranty work.

7. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So has anyone actually changed the transaxle fluid and took pictures of this 'water'?
    What exactly is this "water damage" in the transaxle? How is it quantified? This is weird......

The Prius transaxle does not have an open vent at the top. It has a pressure release valve.
    It is not open to the atmosphere. It is spring loaded and only lets air out at high temps.

Water can't get in at the axle shaft seals, just like the ATF can't get out of those seals.

How did you get sold on tires? Return them.

How is the brake system related to any of the other issues? Are there warning lights on when you are just driving?
    If you braked hard on a slippery road you will have a different feeling in the brake pedal when ABS is working.
    And if you were corning hard on slippery roads you will get traction control and vehicle stability kicking in and flashing warning lights and beeps at you briefly.

You could have an independent shop change the ATF (again?).
    Save what comes out. If it had water once there will be traces of it still in there.
    You could send off a sample for oil analysis. I'd really recommend this if you are being told your transaxle has "water damage". It costs $15 for an oil analysis kit, postage paid.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are correct to question water in the trans-axle without a sample. However shops in effected areas usually recognize water damage, whatever the source. Two shops in this case. To the OP, was this car purchased new or used, and are you telling us everything?

9. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    But I was asking 'How exactly is water damage recognized?'. What are the symptoms, tests performed, etc???
    Either you drain the ATF and have two separate liquids come out or you don't.

If it had water and the first shop drained and changed the ATF, there is still going to be traces of water in the next drain. And this can be quantified by getting a sample and having an oil analysis done, $15 for the oil analysis and $40 for the ATF and whatever labor an independent shop would charge.

But then the OP is not giving enough details to tell WTH has been performed on his car so far....
    Other than to being duped into buying tires to fix a mystery noise.
    This is sort of 'fishy'...

OP, I hope you are keeping detailed records.
    What is the noise? What exactly makes your car 'freaken useless'?
    Take it to every Toyota dealer in your area and ask.
    Play nice. Smile. Don't talk too much. Just ask about the noise. Spare them the long story. Bring donuts ???

Good luck !!

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In the opening statement the OP said: " ok this sucks!! No one is taking the responsibility for the water in my transmission."

He was subsequently told by two shops that there is water damage possibly from a known storm, not stating water in the tranny, just water damage.

The shops actions, reports of water damage, suggestion to file with insurance, unexplained "noise", complete brake failure, implication the Toyota Dealer damaged his car and "no further clarification from the OP" leads me to believe the car was involved in a flood like condition, either known to the OP and/or one that happened prior to purchase....if used.

slaino if wrong, I sincerely apologize right now, but something does not add up.

11. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Frodo,

I see what you are saying.. no clarification from the OP.
    "Water damage", what/where ? Does the interior smell like low tide?

slaino,

You posted on Friday, ( I missed that ) and haven't responded since then.
    What's the deal? If you were making some sort of 'recorded statement', you have lots of responses and no replies.

I hope this wasn't a waste of time and advice.....

Good luck anyway!