1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WATER DAMAGED FOB

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dee8081, Apr 29, 2013.

1. dee8081

dee8081 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. I'm new to the forum....just signed up today. I accidently washed my FOB key and now my prius wont start. When i realized that it got wet I immediately tested it and the car started right up. Today (next morning) i went to start it and it won't start. Will I have to buy a new key/FOB??

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the gen II forums from the Prius v forums

Try opening it up and let it dry better, or open it up and stick it in a sealed container with some uncooked white rice for a day. Also, while open, check the contacts for the battery and see if they are now corroded and need to be cleaned for better contact. It's a crapshoot I guess if it is fried or not.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take it apart and clean it. I washed mine too. Years later still works fine. Need a very small phillips screwdriver like eyeglass repair size. Take the spare mechanical key out. Then the plate with the emblem on it slides up and exposes the phillips screws.

There's directions in the owners manual on how to disassemble this FOB.

Before you begin buy a new CR2035 battery. Avail at Home Depot or just about anywhere.
    Using iso alcohol and q tips clean off the circuit board. Wash the membrane and the case with soapy water and rinse and let dry. Install new battery and button it back up.

I do this to my 2 remotes about once a year. FOB's are expensive and a little maintenance will help make them last for years.

4. azsaxguy

azsaxguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got tWo fobs when I bought my Prius in 07. Did you only get one? The advice so far is good. I think I'd let it dry completely - the rice works well. Then just get a new battery while you're at it. Good luck!