1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water in the wrong places!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dirtnapper, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I was on a trip last week and I wanted to check the lugs on the wheels. I opened the storage area only to find about 1.5" of water. I removed the spare and opened the plugs, dried the area. We did have a heavy rain a few days before so I am thinking that it was from that and would check it out when I got home. Yikes! I noticed that the small battery well had water in it also today!! I siphoned off the water, I know I will have to take out the battery and dry that area. While checking this area I noticed a small hose coming from the floor area, see pic. Does anyone know what this is for, should it be attached to anything....is it a bilge pump, since it looks like I need one :) Anybody else have water and where might it be coming from? This is a Prius 2007. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The hose is your battery vent hose.

dorunron and hyo silver like this.
  3. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The back of the tail light unit has a foam weather seal which prevents water from entering the interior.

[​IMG]

I would start by removing the passenger side (closest to the 12v battery) light and verifying that the weather seal is intact.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that little hose is a vent for the battery - it doesn't come from the floor so much as goes into it, from the battery. As for the bilge pump, I also discovered water under the battery when I changed it recently. There was only enough to need a few rags, and I haven't seen any more leaks yet, despite several rains.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look for a crack in the body seam along the hatch opening. There are other posts about that crack which results in water leaking into the hatch area.

6. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks guys for the info...if we ever get spring back I'll get on this.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It just vents gas (hydrogen) from the 12V battery to the exterior (under the car). In most cases where the battery is healthy this vent doesn't really do much, but it's a safety thing in the event of a failed battery (or charger) causing the battery to gas excessively.

Follow the leads you found in the other thread 12 volt battery change and alot of water under it | PriusChat - that's the most likely place that water seeps in from.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  8. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Well, got rid of this problem. We went tonight and bought the Prius v Three. We had been thinking about it for a bit. I was about to put new tires, wipers just yesterday. This issue kind of help move the buying decision up. I will be very watchful for this on the new one.

usnavystgc and Dylan Doxey like this.
  9. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Any reason is a good reason for a new Prius.

10. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Buying is such a PITA, the hassles with the price, and then trying to get out of the finance office. They just don't want to hear that you are financing elsewhere, and then the add-ons... It just doesn't change. My next one will be online only I think.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, that's one way to get new tires and wipers...... :rolleyes: