1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water Pump Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Red Hybrid, Oct 3, 2009.

1. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used a jack stand and a 2x4 for a similar job on another car. Don't bother wasting money on an engine stand...

2. scott.in.colorado

scott.in.colorado Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just took my 2008 Prius in for a few recalls. Both water pumps changed, hybrid pump and engine pump. Paperwork indicated around $100 for each pump; I have an extended warranty so no charge to me. I was not aware of any leaks from either pump so I question this, but when free you don't ask too many questions. At 65k miles this is the only work ever done on the car and the 1st time into the shop. I change my own oil / air filters. The dealer said the car is in great shape, the 12v battery is fine as are the breaks. Fluid levels are good but the topped off. I thought about looking for a new Prius, selling of trading mine, thinking issues might start occurring at 65k miles, but all seems fine.

Scott

3. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My daughter just took her 2004 gen II into the dealership for the steering shaft recall and they noticed the following items. ICE water pump leaking at weep hole( not leaking much just red crusty around the weep hole), one license plate lamp out, belt should be replaced, cab filter, engine filter. Quoted her over $700.00. Needless to say she called me and I will just do this stuff next oil change.

I just changed my ICE water pump (same red crusty around the weep hole that I have been monitoring for the last 6 months) and by ordering the parts through Champion Toyota world and buying the Toyota coolant at the local dealership and changing the belt at same time it cost me 126.00 in parts. Worst part of the whole job is removing all the air dams and shielding under the engine area. It's nice having the Airlift for changing the coolant without having to worry about air pockets.

4. mgb922

mgb922 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had a recall on my 2007's water pump. After the dealer changed it though the convergent tank pump crapped out and it took some talking/arguing to get them to changed it and they charged it to the warrenty. But now I have to fill the overflow tank every other week.

I you don't have a recal...Village Toyota $48.37. If you have significantly over 100k mile capture the coolant and run it through a filter and reuse. It's good for 100k miles and its a little expensive.

5. gcbron

gcbron Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2009 Prius with 65,404 miles. Replaced the inverter water pump yesterday for $358. Took a little less than an hour to replace. Technician mentioned that they replace at least 5 inverter water pumps per week and always keep them in stock. Car was having issues with the ac working fine in the morning but going from cold air to blowing hot air during the afternoon drive. After three days the red triangle light up along with a few other warning lights. I has already made an appointment to have the car looked at but drove straight to the mechanic when the red triangle came on.
    Car is running fine and ac is working normally.

6. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. Yudha

Yudha New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    New here and Glad I just read this post, have been quoted $1100 for the following job from local toyota dealer in Melbourne oz.
    2004 prius 278000 km (car drives great)
    slight leak in water pump (crustiness at seep hole)
    Water pump $246
    Fitting $616 !!
    Drive belt $77
    Drive belt fitting $154

Total $ 1100

(BTW just handed over $838 for major service and said no to a fuel injector flush at $199)

Dare to say they won't see me again !

8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just looked up prices at a local auto parts store. Drive belt is $17, water pump is $48.

I'd just watch the coolant level and replace the pump when I have to add more coolant too often.

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    or 25 bucks for a gallon of coolant that you would probably have to add a few ounces a year.

x2 with RobH

10. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Reading the comments at 579,000 miles I’m so glad no one but me has been under the hood since 30,000

iPhone ?