1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weather.com poll: 38.6% not convinced global warming is real

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by priusenvy, Jun 17, 2008.

1. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    38.6% is also the percentage of Americans who rely on the National Enquirer as their main source of science news.

weather.com Poll Answers

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Even the white house recently admitted that Global Warming is indeed happening. I think cars incorrectly get more of blame then they should. I think the fact that there are more people and less forests then there used to be is as big a factor.

3. sendconroymail

sendconroymail One Mean SOB

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bet the dinosaurs argued about whether the earth was getting colder. The dinosaurs in charge said... My fellow dinosaurs don't worry about earth cooling that is only a myth. In fact earth goes through cycles of heating and cooling so this is just normal and nothing to worry about.

Yeah right.

4. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The real question should be: How much effect do humans have on the global climate?

I think it is pretty well established that the global climate drifts up and down in cycles. Are humans speeding up or slowing those changes? Or are we disrupting the cycle all together?

Bob

5. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    38.6% convinced that dinosaurs held conversations in non-accented English. :pound:

6. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Well what do you expect. Weather.com's founder thinks that GW is the "greatest scam in history". It's like asking Fox viewers whether China is drilling off the coast of Key West.

7. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Don't forget, Bat Boy is behind it all. :D

8. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah, when that was reported, I had a good laugh at how gullible Neo-Cons and their supporters are, talk about suckers. Reminded me of the Obama Medrassa story Fox did, they never checked anything, just reported it from whoever, as long as it fits with keeping the blind in line. :pound:

9. stacked

stacked New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'd have to say, I am still up in he air about the theory of global warming. I support elimination of private gasoline use, I support conservation, and protecting the enviroment. But some of the information just doesn't add up. I think it is funny that people who are not convinced about the theory of global warming are cast as stupid. I didn't believe climatologists in the late 70's when they said the next ice age was coming in the next century either. That is the easy way to convince people you are right, just call them stupid if they ask for more information.

10. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Blame it on the President and the reactionary Republicans (conservative is a misnomer) for refusing to acknowledge Global Warming even exists until recently, and for making the U.S. look like a backward country compared to other industrialized nations.

Blame it as well on the American media, which has treated the issue as a political one--and not a scientific one--and has thus poorly informed the public.

11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't you mean to say:
    'I didn't believe Newsweek when they ran an article about how we could be entering an ice age'
    or
    'I didn't believe the ONE study mentioning that we COULD be entering an ice age over the next thousand years'
    or should it have been:
    'I agreed with Rush when he said that all the climatologists were screaming about the ice age coming within decades'??

12. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The real problem is that Scientists, in an effort to garner increased government funding, have been screaming the sky is falling for the last 50 years or so. This isn't just with the climate, but also what is good to eat, what is bad to eat, what harms us and what benefits us. One day wine is bad, one day its good. One day eggs are bad, one day they are good.

People just don't trust scientists due to these "flip-flops". Or maybe people have realized that "data" can be interpreted to say whatever the scientist wants it to, or maybe the people have realized that scientists benefit with increased funding when the scientists "discovers" some new potential harm that needs "studying".

The Earth hasn't warmed in the last 10 years (since that 3rd hottest year in 1998), on some levels the Earth has actually cooled by a .1 of a degree! People no longer implicitly trust scientists, and scientists have no one to blame but themselves and their ultimate whoring for more funding.

13. Scruge

Scruge New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    DITTO !!

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Wrong! Scientists can blame media hype and hyperbole. There is a world of difference between consensus science and frontier science of which the media focuses on frontier science almost exclusively.

BTW, we understand the "cooling" trend taking place and it does not undermine any scientific global warming postulations.

15. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    STOP CALLING IT GLOBAL WARMING!!!!

The real title should be human caused global climate change! This misnomer of "global warming" implies that things will be "warmer" and this is not always true.

The consiquences of climate change manifest itself in many ways, INCLUDING warming in some areas, colder in others, drier in some, wetter in others, and so on and so on. The problem (as I have said infinitum!) is that people confuse climate with weather. As such it is impossible to blame any one event on climate change (such as the current Misssissippi River flooding). Because of that it is easy to dismiss such events as anomalies. Climate on the other hand is looking at ALL these events in the context of the whole.

To those that don't believe that human caused global climate change IS NOT happening, drink only the cool-aid of those they agree with. The only real argument is not that it is happening, but to what extent. To that we can have an honest argument. The problem is that the naysayers can take any study that conflicts with any other to say " See! Even climate scientists disagree, ergo it isn't happening" It is like saying because I am color blind proves that green doesn't exist for everyone else.

Icarus

Look at arctic sea ice averages, Antarctic ice, average sea levels, droughts, floods and their patterns and you can't help come to the conclusion that things are changing. The question is what are the consiquences and what can we do about it.

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You mean the small handful of papers published in support of the above mentioned claim? No, in the 1970s there was no consensus amoung climatologists. The claim that there was is bogus and has been debunked by a study that searched for and counted the number of papers in support of the claim "we are entering an ice age" vs those against it. Even then one has to delve even deeper and look at exactly what the particular paper was trying to postulate as the reason for cooling or warming. There is quite a bit of information on the subject of natural cooling and how we could be coming out of our warm interglacial period and going back into a cooling cycle if one cares to search for it in journals. The popular media can again be thanked for the confusion on the subject both then and now. :)

17. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Even the Bush administration admits (after a flip-flop) that we are the cause of global warming.

... Brad

18. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Gotta disagree with you here. The reason the Administration started calling it "global climate change" instead of "global warming" is because of an impact study that some agency did which concluded that gcc is less alarming to the public. All "global warming" means is that the temperature of the global climate overall in increasing, and it does not imply that it is increasing everywhere. And it is alarming. Let's call it what it is.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Gee, that's almost the same percentage that don't believe in Evolution.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We can thank Frank Luntz for that. :rolleyes: Even he came clean on it and feels the scientists are right and we need to work together to come up with solutions. At least that was his stance last I checked.