1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weight savings....what else?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by jialideel, Apr 13, 2011.

1. jialideel

jialideel New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hey Nick...thanks for the ideas. My feedback below...

1. Based on what others have posted thus far, it seems like the Michelin Energy Savers are where the biggest gains are to be had....so I think I'll be going with those. As far 13" wheels go, the Volks don't come in a 13" with the lug pattern needed for the Prius. Is there another manufacturer that makes a lighter wheel than the 15" TE37 (8.86lbs)? Non-CF? Also, I assume the aero covers are flush hub cabs to reduce turbulence? Where can these be found/purchased?
    2. I intend to remove anything that isn't necessary for practical safety and emergency repair. Still undecided as to whether or not to remove the jack and spare.
    3. The lightest exhaust for the Prius that I know of is the Tanabe Concept G...but it is stainless...not Ti. Who makes a Ti exhaust?! Or are you implying a custom fab?
    4. Again, who manufacturers drilled out/Ti rotors? Any idea?
    5. I will test drive before and after but most likely will end up doing this.
    6. Again, who makes lightweight/Ti radiator for the Prius?
    7. Easy.
    8. Maybe...I will have to look at the implied risk of heat exposure to nearby components.
    9. This is a possibility...but I am also waiting for pics of the VS2 from Seibon...it's supposed to be a CF hood with the vent already cut out.
    10. Will explore insulation removal. I talked to Tanabe and they 'think' their shocks/struts are lighter based on logic that they are smaller in diameter than stock, but they could not confirm so I will have to test myself when I get them.

Thanks again, Nick. If you can answer any of the above, it will be a great help.

2. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Forgot the floor mats. Remove them.
    Start here:
    World's Largest Prius-dedicated Accessory Shop :: Sigma Automotive
    Hub caps are "Moons" do goggle search.
    Airplane rubber is what they use at the salt flats. Light & fast. 13" wheels should be lighter than 15's.
    S2000 > IPP > Taitec Side mount Sliding Seat Rail
    Bulletproof Automotive for JDM ti exhaust (4lb or lighter) and alu radi. Ti or Alu caps get from TRD
    TRD
    Discount Performance Brakes - Brake Pads & Brake Rotors- RACEShopper.com
    Car Tires & Truck Tires 1010tires.com Tire Search: all season, summer, winter, original equipment, racing, light truck
    Thats all I have for now.

3. nickfromny

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Check JDM post below for more tips on where to find product to pimp the ride.

4. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    13" wheels won't fit on a Prius. 15's already barely clear the caliper and rotors in front.

M. David likes this.
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure it is worth it unless you wanna gut car completely and then savings will be minimal at best.

I would start with low rolling resistance tires and high-MPG driving.

After installing 2 front Michelin Energy Saver A/S my MPG went up from high 50s to low 60s. This on commute route with a few stop signs, traffic lights and speed limit 40-50MPH.

6. jialideel

jialideel New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK...so I did some research on a few of the above. Bulletproof Automotive looked into Ti exhaust. JDM does not make one. They thought that Tommy Kaira did, but there's is stainless...not Ti. However, a company called Top Secret tuning out of Japan (I am not affiliated nor I am endorsing them) DOES make a Ti exhaust, and Bulletproof is checking availability for me. He said price would be around $1,360 for the system...which isn't so bad when you compare it to stainless still alternatives at $1,000+. He also did not know whether the kit included CAT or not...and will let me know on that as well. Do you really think there is that much to be saved in the exhaust though? Can't imagine it being that terribly heavy to begin with...but I could be wrong.

Also, I could Race Shopper for the brakes...there are no Cross drilled rotor kits available for the Gen III's yet. Guess it's a waiting game until mmod manufacturers start making goodies for these cars.

More to follow...

7. nickfromny

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Won't know till you take off the factory cat back exhaust and weigh it. MY dual factory exhust weighed 60lbs on Honda S-2000. Heat shield and factory header weighed 45lbs. New header without heat shield only 5 lbs. Net 40lbs. Went to a single 4lb Cat back ti exhasut Net 54lbs saved. I like the Sigma areo body kit (one with rear wheel covers/fenders and think that will get you extra MPG. Our car is a minivan in Europe, Japan and will be hard to get weight under 2,800lbs. Carbon hood, doors, lexan windows. Costs will be high. Might only get down to 2,400lbs.