1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird 3-bars became flash

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Dec 18, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

So yesterday I was driving home and had 3-bars remaining with ~330 miles on the tripmeter. I usually expect ~50 miles per bar and then another 50 on flash, so it looked like another 500 mile tank. Then that night, my wife wanted something and by the time I got to the traffic light, 'bing' and it was suddenly on flash. Wth?

I filled up this morning and only got 8.9 gallons, not the expected 10-11 gallons. So I suspect a bump or something else triggered a false, low-tank reading. This triggered the "flash" and unexpected, low fuel indication.

This is the most extreme mismatch between the indicated and fill-up quantity I've ever seen. Granted, the fuel gauge is more a 'guess gauge', it has got me rethinking about a different approach: calculating the fuel consumed from the engine metrics instead of the floating 'float.'

Bob Wilson

usnavystgc likes this.
  2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I use scangauge to check for exact fuel in the tank on my 2010. It only measures from 11.4 gallons to .7 gallons but in .1 increments. Turns, accelerations and braking changes the value gasoline in the tank as much as 1.5 gallons. Once near empty both gas gauge and scangauge become inaccurate. I drive additional 75 miles at the first sight of blinking fuel warning before fueling up.

3. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hate the one-beep and one-bar-flash low fuel warning. I haven't missed it so far, but one day I expect I will, and find I'll myself on the road without any gas.