1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird key fob situation

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rando1000, Oct 9, 2014.

1. rando1000

rando1000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 prius that I bought used 2 years ago. Since we bought the car, I was unable to get the automatic entry to work, but that's fine, I can press a button. So, every time I start the car, I've been pressing the button to gain entry, walking up to the car, sticking my key fob in the slot, and start. My wife's fob never worked.

Today, I walked out, went to unlock my car, and nothing. So, I went online, found out how to get the little key out, and was able to unlock the car manually. Put the fob in the slot, car starts fine. I replaced the battery in the fob with a new one, but still, car starts fine, but fob cannot unlock the car.

My wife's fob, which I just replaced the battery in as well (I bought a set of 2), now unlocks the car. However, it won't start the car when placed in the slot. So, if I have both keys, I can unlock the car (her key) and start the car (my key).

Any idea, short of going to a dealer (single income, quite broke currently), on how I can get ONE key to do both of those?

2. J L

J L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You might find an answer on the 2nd gen forums . But that's really weird; maybe a code issue on the car's computer or the keys themselves? I'd suggest reprogramming the keys either through advice of those who have done it, or by calling an automotive locksmith.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! since your wife's car never worked, and now can only unlock the door, it might be an incorrect fob. you might want to test your 12 volt battery. all the best!(y)

4. Susan Burman

Susan Burman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    2010 Prius. The problem started when I couldn't unlock the passenger door from the driver's side arm rest. Now the driver's side switch doesn't work on any of the doors. Now I can't open the car with the keyless entry, and when I push the buttons on the fob, they just beep and flash and nothing happens. I went to my dealer and replaced the battery on the fob, but that didn't help at all. Now all the doors are intermittently open and closed, including the back hatch which I don't know how to operate manually at all. I am reading all kinds of horror stories online, afraid to bring it in. The mechanic at the dealership admitted he hadn't seem this before, but 'bring it in.' That scares me. Any suggestions, or should I just use the key and pretend I don't have a power locking system at all. The car is only four years old. I assume there's a short somewhere from other peoples' answers. The one that sounded most like my problem ended up being a mouse eating the wires. but I'm sure there are other possibilities that would cause a short. Any good outcomes out there?

5. Susan Burman

Susan Burman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm just wondering why you want to solve the Fob problem but not the lock problem also. My problem is the same as yours, and I have to use the key to unlock the door too. I want to know why that is happening. Check my answers and hopefully we'll both find out what's going on.

6. Susan Burman

Susan Burman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have the same problem with not being able to open the door with the fob, only the key. Maybe you'll get an answer from my post today. I think it's a wiring problem from things I read in other forums, but not easy to diagnose, it seems.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe you might have loose wiring/connector in the driver's door. You can try and remove the driver's door panel and look at the connector. Make sure the wiring and connector look to be in place.

Most audio or auto glass shops also remove the panel on a regular basis to do audio and glass repair. They may be able to help you if you are afraid to bring it to the dealer.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. There's is an SKS button under the driver's steering wheel, where your knees normally would go. Make sure that SKS button is turned on for the SKS functions to work.

2. Make sure there are no stuck buttons on your 2 remote FOBs. If there's a stuck button, the fob will not work properly. Also with a stuck button, it'll drain your battery and the battery could be dead again.

If I were in your situation, I would change out the battery on both FOBs and make sure no buttons are stuck. That should fix the problem. (make sure (sks) is turned on too.