1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird noises from Prius. Water pump problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dhman2006, Aug 5, 2013.

1. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    For the last few days every time I accelerate from a stop I have been hearing water bubble like noise from the Rear-right side of my 05 Prius. I think there's a water pump back there. Does anyone know why that sound just came on? Also, every time I turn the car on loud engine noise has been coming on. Is that mechanical engine noise? Is there a recall on Prius mechanical engine? Any help/suggestion?

EDIT: If I need to replace the water pump, can I buy an inverter water pump online and have my mechanic install it?

Does it look ok?---

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is no water pump in the back. More likely you have leakage around the hatch. Look under the 12V battery and the spare tire for a puddle.

If you have a problem with the inverter coolant pump, Toyota will repair it under the present safety recall for free. Call them up and tell them you want to bring the car in for recall C0T and C0U. (C Zero T and C Zero U).

You need to be more specific about your other symptom. Make a recording if possible and post it here.

3. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you for your reply. Is the inverter pump and the mechanical pump the same thing?

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All fluid pumps are mechanical. The Prius has two coolant pumps, one for the inverter coolant loop, and the other for the engine coolant. The both pumps can fail, but the engine coolant pump is not under recall. It is located at the end of the engine, driven by a small belt.

You need to get the car running with the hood open, and listen for where the sounds you are referring to are coming from. Some mechanics use a length of hose like a doctor's stethoscope to localize the sound.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The North American 2G Prius has four coolant pumps, all located in the engine compartment:

1. Engine coolant, powered by the serpentine drive belt.
    2. Inverter coolant, powered by electric motor. This is the subject of a recent Toyota recall.
    3. Heater core circulation, powered by electric motor. This helps the cabin heating when the gasoline engine stops running.
    4. Coolant heat recovery system pump, powered by electric motor. This usually runs for a few seconds upon startup and shutdown and is part of emissions control.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  6. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds like water has gotten into the battery well area. Remove the battery and spare tire cover and look for water or dampness. If so, do a search on this forum for likely sources of the leak.

7. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ok I'm thinking Engine Water Pump needs to be replaced. I'm hearing grinding noise everytime I turn the car on and it's usually with something related to water pump. Now my question is can I replace the engine water pump at any local mechanic shop or it has to be done at a Toyota Dealer?

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any competent tech can replace the engine coolant pump. I suggest the serpentine drive belt also be replaced.

It is possible that the noise you are hearing is coming from the idler pulley which exerts tension on the drive belt, so that should be inspected when the drive belt is removed.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  9. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Went to Meineke after work and they said the bearing inside the water pump is going bed.They quoted me $436 for water pump + the tensioner. They also said they may need some "special tool" to change the tensioner. Does anyone know if there's really any "special tool" to replace the tensioner and the water pump? Can this be done at a local mechanic shop that may cost me around $250-300?

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No special tool is needed.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  11. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Thanks for the reply. Is there any special tool to check the tensioner? Guys at Meineke said they'll need special tool to check the tensior drive belt.

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As I said before, no special tool is needed for any part of the job. Suggest you find another place.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  14. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Ok thanks. Do you recommend getting the job done at a local mechanic shop or should I go to a "chain" name?

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My recommendation would be that you use an independent that specializes in Toyota vehicles - if you don't have a recommendation from a trusted friend or neighbor in your area.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  16. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Still putting out your very reliable advice Pat. Good Show!