1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird Problem With Steering Wheel Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mwester, Nov 6, 2010.

1. mwester

mwester New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greeting from a Prius newbie! I just got my 2004 Prius last week and so far I'm liking it a bunch! (50.3 mpg on my 57 mile commute to work. Oh yeah!)

About 70 percent of my internet searches for Prius info bring me to this site so I figure this must be the place to be!

On to my question... I have just realized that the Prius has steering wheel lights... this is not because they are so dim as so many others have reported but in my case they simply were not working.

What happened is that I made a sharp left turn at night, turning the wheel over half way round and the lights came on. They stay on as long as the wheel is turned but then go off as soon as the wheel comes back to the center. Occasionally the lights will come on when making a right turn but not every time. They are always out when the wheel is centered.

I also noted that the dash light dimmer switch doesn't seem to do anything except switch to day mode when rolled all the way up. It doesn't have any other effect. Probably not related to the steering wheel problem.

Any ideas what might be happening with the steering wheel lights?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a "spiral cable" that provides electrical connections to the steering wheel switches. My guess is that cable has a broken wire.

Regarding the dash light dimmer variable resistor, you might try disconnecting and reconnecting the wiring harness connector. If that doesn't help then you probably need to replace the variable resistor.

1 person likes this.
  3. mwester

mwester New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks Patrick.

I'll give the wiring harness idea a try... probably wait on the steering wheel since it involves removing it... not sure I want to take that on for lights I can barely see anyway.