1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Were you told "There's No Such Thing as a Toyota Special Order?" Read This

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by ggood, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think there have been other isolated posts pointing out that Toyota does not actually do special factory orders, but I thought it might be useful to others to dedicate a thread to this issue, and detail my personal experience with this.

For the avoidance of all doubt, here is the official Toyota line on this matter:

If the dealer doesn't have the vehicle I want, can I place a special order?
    Toyota dealerships work with our regional offices to determine what vehicle combinations are in demand in their geographical market, and request vehicle allocations accordingly. Because of this, some model configurations and options may not be available in your area, while other options may be available, but only as part of a combination of packages. Your local Toyota dealership can advise you whether a preference can be submitted for your desired vehicle. This preference request does not guarantee you will receive the vehicle with the exact options requested, and may create an extended wait-time.

Why can't I configure a vehicle with the equipment I want using the Build a Toyota feature?
    The Build a Toyota feature on our website is regionally based and is designed to identify vehicles commonly available in your area. The information is not necessarily indicative of all the option package combinations that are available through your local Toyota dealership. Additionally, not all options/packages are available in all regions of the country.

Our vehicles are generally equipped with options and model grades that we have found to be popular in the geographic area in which they are marketed. We do extensive market surveys and studies to assist in forecasting product features and equipment that will be desirable to the consumer.

And in some instances, particularly with new models just launched, your region might have limited or no availability of certain trim levels or selected options while we build up inventory.

If you would prefer to purchase a vehicle with no options or additional/different options, please contact your local Toyota dealership for availability or the possibility of placing an order for such a vehicle. The dealership may also be able to perform a vehicle exchange with another dealership to accommodate your preference.

*********************************************************************************************
    In my case, I went through a local dealer to "special order" a 2015 Hybrid Camry XLE with Advanced Tech package (with PCS), including specific exterior and interior colors. I did this because the wholesaler for the Gulf States region (Gulf States Toyota or GST) is not bringing in any Camrys with the Advanced Tech option installed. At the time, a few cars with the specs I wanted were available in some other regions, but my dealer had offered a fair below MRSP price (based on KBB), I wasn't in a hurry, I didn't want the added trouble and expense of buying out of region myself, and I didn't want to press this particular dealer to do an out of region trade.

FYI, I previously assumed out of region trades were not common, but Frodoz737 says in another thread that
    "6-8 weeks is to long a wait and usually means waiting for one already scheduled into Regional make-ready, a special factory order or a tactic to get you to settle for something else on their lot. They can Dealer trade within their group or outside to another Region, and it takes 3 days to slightly longer than a week depending on location and negotiating the trade. Gulf States is not a problem, but sometimes the Dealerships are." and also: "They can, do and will trade within and "outside" the GST Group if they want to...I know first hand...but face time makes all the difference."

I ordered 11-14-2014. From what I can gather, GST had to approve making this special order or preference request, and then submit it to Toyota in the course of their regular ordering process. The dealer was not able to confirm this "order" had "taken" until early January, when it showed up in the computer. An ETA date did not show up in the computer until recently (hard saying exactly when, since I haven't been calling every day or even every week, and the sales guy hasn't exactly been diligent in following up). The ETA for arrival in Houston of this "preference" car is currently 4-7-2015, and it won't get to the dealer until a few days later (since it has to go through GST's port system).

From what I can gather from a brief google search, and from the info provided above by Frodoz737, this 5 month wait period is rather long, with 2 to 3 months being more common. I'll update this thread when the car is received, or I get new information.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i enjoyed the ordering process and anticipation of the pip, including tracking the car carrier from japan to here. it would be nice to see toyota make this available as a regular part of the ordering process.

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I still remember being told during the 1980s (in newspapers and business classes) how robotics, computers and just in time inventory were going to usher in a golden era of quickly delivered custom cars and other custom products. Turned out that was right up there with the Jetson's flying cars. In the age of rapidly evolving technology, cars need to become far more modular and far easier to upgrade and customize.

Good question.

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    What is to prevent you going out of region to get the car you want if it is available elsewhere at a price you find acceptable?

Because of issues with the South East Toyota distributor add-ons and their pricing at every in-state dealer, I went several states away to find a car without all the distributor add-ons. Simple over the net deal, took a train up to 5 miles from the dealer, salesman picked me up, 30 minutes after arrival I was on the road with no up-sell, no surprises and transport tags. The beauty of an all cash deal and selling your own car via craigslist in 4 hours. Also the beauty of being retired and not worrying about spending a day and a half doing the delivery.

I was later called by the sales manager and dealership owner and asked why I didn't buy from them, I calmly explained why and implied in what direction I had traveled to get my deal. They understood.

I have had no issues with service at the only local dealer, quite the opposite.

Some manufacturers do just this. Go configure a Porsche and see how many options you can add on. They will special order for you, let you track where the car is, what port it will leave on, what ship it is on, when it arrives, when it is prepped, when it is on the car-carrier and you can watch it be unloaded at the dealer. Now look at what those options cost! Very easy to add $30k in options. It isn't cheap to do business that way.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota's approach is the approach a world leader in automobile manufacture has to take.
    They are designed to manufacture vehicles in large quantities, and sell to the masses.

And it works. For most of us? We are going to find what we want, at a local...or perhaps not so local dealership lot.

For those that desire something not as easily obtainable? At least a process that allows this to happen does exist.

It will be interesting to see how the process unfolds for the OP.

I remember when I was growing up, this is in early, mid 70's...my Grandparents who loved Toyota's, but were very specific about everything they would purchase, would always "special order" a vehicle. This is back when there wasn't even that many options available PERIOD. But they would always find some configuration that wasn't readily available, and special order it.

So they ended up with Corona's and Corollas with vinyl doors BUT cloth seats....or the at the time AMAZING option of air conditioning...but no radio...

They lived through The Great Depression, and I always felt they were just very careful about anything they purchased. They would get the vehicle, special ordered from the factory...and then? Well...I can still remember getting into their cars, and asking "why" their vinyl door panels were "protected" by the plastic still left on from the factory?

Yes...it was a little weird. But they were the people from which you wanted to buy their car used. They would keep it a long time, but take extra ordinary care.

6. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Henry Ford said you could have a Model T in any color, as long as it was black. He didn't want to get into the difficulties of customizing the product, and neither do most auto makers.

But there is a business case for special orders. They command a higher profit margin than stock items. That's why smaller companies do it more than the larger ones.

7. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the Build Your Toyota is simply a marketing tool. I learned this last year when trying to buy a Tacoma. My experience with Toyota parallels your original post.

Toyota is extremely good at inventory control and just-in-time delivery of their products - to the dealers, but not necessarily the consumers. I'm a huge fan of Fighting Chance New Car Buying Guide - How to get the best deal when you buy or lease a new car. and their car buying strategy. Toyota wants you to think their cars are in high demand. That's why piercing the veil of hidden inventory is sometimes so hard for the buyer. Key to buying is treating the new car as a commodity to be purchased primarily on price alone while letting the dealers locate the car you want instead of doing it yourself. Turn the equation around. I want THIS car with THESE features. You 12 dealerships go out and find it. Whoever comes back with the best price wins. Some won't want to play but enough will.

#7 Yakoma, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  8. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Right, "go online to build your Toyota with 2-3 stock options for each choice, and we'll transfer the vehicle to your dealer that sorta matches that description."

9. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I did just that for my PIP. I wasn't in a hurry and had no reason to go to any extra trouble or expense for this particular car, though my wife might disagree!

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ordering in packages makes it easier for shoppers of a used car market. Ever tried searching for a used BMW, Mercedes, or MINI? Good luck finding out *everything* that the car is equipped. Used car dealers and sellers won't bother and will only highlight the main things (Fully loaded with leather, heated seats and nav!!! Must go!!!). Everything on their lot is "fully loaded". It also makes it hard to compare prices between similar models because you don't know what a la carte options each car has. The only way is to buy it from the first owner directly (Well, the best chance anyway and by luck, he might still have the Monroney sticker that lists the options).

With Japanese cars, it's easier to find out what options the car has by searching up an old brochure and looking at what packages were offered. For Honda, it's even easier since they almost always have trim levels and no options. If you get an Accord EX, you know what's included (dealer accessory not withstanding).

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i remember old timers telling me you could order a mercedes, fly to germany, pick it up and drive around europe for 2 weeks and then ship it home, and all that expense was the same price as buying one here.

12. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had a friend who did that with a new Volvo back in the 80s and it was more or less true. Not sure exactly how close he came to domestic sticker price, but he got a vacation out of it. Of course he was an airline employee at the time, so he had very little airfare expense.

13. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In 1967 I bought a 1968 brand new Karmann Ghia convertible off the Frankfurt auto show where it was on display. It was loaded. Which means nothing as there were no options, but I did buy some extras. Price was $2200. A month later, shipped it back to Los Angeles, sold it 3 years later for $2300.

In 1976, did the same thing with a 280C Mercedes, except we stayed in Europe for 2 years, came back and sold it for more than we paid for it after 4 years.

Yup, those were the days.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    amazing, i wonder what has changed, government regulations?

15. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Seems like no one gives much credit for the extra options on used cars anyway. The best way to lose money on depreciation is to order cars like I do - fully loaded. I won't give up on having PCS though. It has proven its worth to me. Should be standard equipment or at least available as an add on option on every car.

#15 ggood, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  16. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Volvo has, like I think the Germans, an OSD program or OverSeas Delivery program. Yeah, it allows one to order the vehicle the way they want it. Instead of having to get a package that includes a bunch of options thrown into it with the OSD you can pick individual options. They even allow for some color combinations for interior and exterior colors that aren't normally available when ordering outside of the OSD. They include two tickets to Gothenberg Sweden and a night at a local hotel as well as a factory tour, some meals and pickup and then drop off of your vehicle where they will ship it to a dealership of your choice. Once you get the car they give you plates that let you drive around Europe if you'd like on your own dime for gas hotels etc. Once you give them the car back to ship back home you keep the plates as a memory of sorts.

They get you for extra fees for doing it certain times of the year, upgrading seats on the flight blah blah. Basically other than the unique experience and being able to order your car in a unique way you don't save much over dealing at a dealership on price. But if you were planning on taking a EU vacation, it sure is a unique experience I guess. I've not done it but know someone who did and they made a trip out of the whole thing and enjoyed the trip and unique experience it brought to buying s new vehicle.

More info:

Overseas Delivery | Volvo Cars

Volvo Overseas Delivery

A unique way to see Europe and buy a new Volvo

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Still available in Canada.

Volvo Canada - European Delivery

Mercedes-Benz Canada - European Delivery

True, as a percentage, they lose value quicker (or in other words, the value of the options decrease with age). If it's a safety feature, it's worth getting (e.g. passenger front airbag, side airbag, ABS, TCS/VSC, Brake Assist and now PCS) especially now they're active safety features while the previous ones were passive.

18. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And now, to put on coda on this thread....
    BlueHyCam.jpg

The car arrived in Houston port (e.g. GST parking lot) on April 147th, and was delivered to the dealer April 18th, which is the same day I picked it up. Since I originally ordered 11-14-2014, that was a roughly 5 month wait. I'm still not sure why it took GST 7 weeks to confirm the special allocation, but the bottom line is that I eventually got exactly what I ordered, for a fair discount, without having to mess around with an out of state order or extra shipping charges. There was some last minute dickering about the dealer installed tint I had not ordered, and the value of my trade in, but other than that, the process was drama free. On top of that, Toyota Financial has a zero percent financing deal on the HyCam right now, with $500 "loyalty" cash back. The only minor hassle with all this was having to check in now and then on the status. For somewhat understandable reasons, the sales guy never remembered to give me regular updates. I kind of feel sorry for him, having to wait for his commission all this time.

First impressions are pretty good. We seem to be getting around 35 to 37 mpg by the computer. The seats are better than I originally thought (not as bench like as the 2007 HyCam, and nice compromise between soft and firm). Nice highway cruiser, and soaks up the bumps around town pretty well (even with the tires way overinflated, which I just discovered and fixed yesterday). The electronics seem slightly improved over my PIP. I especially like the info screen in the middle of the gauges. The steering wheel extension is bordering on not having enough travel. I had to experiment a bit to find the right combo of adjustments to be comfortable and still have the steering wheel close enough for highway cruising. That was a lot easier in the 2007 HyCam. The handling is much improved. It's not floaty at all (unlike the 2007 HyCam). Probably still too light for folks that like a more linear feel (like the Accord), but good for folks that just want the car to drive itself.

Forgot to mention:
    The blind spot monitor system includes a backout feature that beeps at you if cars are coming up behind you. Seems to work well. The wife likes it.
    The lane keep system seems to work pretty well. You get anywhere near the lines and it beeps at you a few times (not incessantly, since they seem to understand you may be doing it deliberately). Works a little too well for my wife's taste, since she has a habit of edging away from trucks, etc.!
    Radar cruise (which includes PCS - the main reason for the special order) works just like on the PIP, but you can set the follow distance for the PCS warnings, similar to the separate follow distance for the radar cruise.

19. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad you're happy...personally I couldn't/wouldn't wait 5 months for a car.

20. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    A little more detail please.
    I've often wished that the blind spot monitor in my Fusion would have a tiny beep.........but then got to thinking about heavy traffic and a possible constant beeping and thought maybe not.