1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are the cons of ALWAYS driving in Power mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by blizzardwhat, Mar 31, 2013.

1. blizzardwhat

blizzardwhat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've only had my prius for 1 week. Biggest complaint is the slow acceleration, especially when at a stop light and it turns green, the Prius just drags. Today I tried power mode for the first time and wow it feels "almost" like a normal car, and it doesn't seem to effect my MPG much.

What are the downsides of always driving in power mode? I don't mind pressing the PWR button at every start up. My only concern is if this will have a negative effect on my car's long term performance and possibly cost more in repairs and maintenance later on.

Thanks.

2. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There should be no negatives on long-term performance or reliability. It's not like you're flooring it every chance you get, so you are driving your car within its design parameters.

Having said that, I think everyone that comes over from a conventional car finds the Prius accel slow. But in time, you get used to it. Unless you are merging onto a freeway, the speed is adequate. Maybe those who have done extensive tests between normal and PWR mode can share their experience re: mpg. PWR mode does make the pedal more sensitive so trying to pulse and glide maybe a bit more difficult (if you're into that sort of thing: driving for high mpgs)

sdizprius likes this.
  3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it will harm the car to have it in PWR mode a lot.

I find if I'm in stop and go freeway traffic, I mean Bay Area 'parking lot' freeway traffic, the car is too responsive and jumpy in PWR mode or even normal mode, so I'll pop it into ECO mode to chill it out.

ECO mode is really soft on acceleration so it only gets used for bumper to bumper and for better economy when I've got the heater or A/C running.

If I'm in a hurry, I reach for the PWR mode. It might be nice if the car didn't need a power mode button, but for now it has one. FWIW, Camry Hybrid doesn't have PWR mode button and believe me, it doesn't need it.

4. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The power button doesn't do anything beyond the computer. You will get no faster acceleration, just the same acceleration at a lesser gas pedal depression. Nor will you hurt anything in the car, nor cause a need for more maintenance.

On the other hand, driving such that you feel the need for power mode is likely to increase needed maintenance, and decrease your mileage (whether you do it in ECO or PWR mode).

5. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You know the old saying..."Speed/power costs money". "How fast you whanna go?". About the only thing that driving in PWR mode will do is take it's toll on your wallet.

6. Buckley

Buckley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't seen any negative effects from driving in power mode, and I use it every day. As stated above it doesn't make the car "faster", it just changes throttle response. I don't hyper-mile, pulse glide, etc., so I'm sure I'm not milking every last mile out of each gallon of gas. But, to me, the response from ECO and standard modes is frustratingly slow. I'm just glad the car gives the option to adjust it.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I suspect if you were careful and experienced you could get nearly the same mileage in "PWR" as "ECO". It's just very hard to modulate the throttle that much.
    But if you are not trying to get really good mileage there should be no difference.
    I drive in "ECO" almost all the time. If I want brisk acceleration I push the throttle down farther.

8. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What I'm saying is, using the car in "PWR" mode just alters the drivers driving habits. I think the inherent design of the car was basically meant to do that. Along with that, there are some fuel saving features that are bypassed when the vehicle is in "PWR" mode. Namely, the HVAC system. In "ECO" mode the system defaults to "recirculate" to conserve fuel. Not a huge saving but none the less,in the Summertime it could be more significant.

9. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    the biggest con is having to remember to push the power button EVERY time you start the car.

F8L likes this.
  10. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right! I had a BMW R90/6 ( air cooled 2 cyl.) years ago and it said in the manual "If you drive in the Red on the tachometer, you drive in the red in your pocketbook."

Goes for anything that gives you the chance to make a choice as to how muck acceleration you want. I will admit to using POWER mode at times when I want to surprise some lout who wants to play stoplight grand prix. It usually does catch them off guard.

I don't mind the eco setting I am in it all the time of course I grew up with 40 hp VW air cooled engines too pushing me along.

ES44AC

TwoUnderPar likes this.
  11. blizzardwhat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In normal mode, I tried pushing the throttle down further, but the engine makes that loud roaring noise and the display jumps all the way to "power". I usually drive pretty conservatively and it makes me uncomfortable to have to gas it that much to get it to go. Maybe this is just something I have to get used to.

I don't have a problem driving normal mode on freeways. Only when the stop light turns green and everybody passes me and I'm struggling to keep up. Oh the humanity! First world probs. lol

12. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to watch the video of Wayne Gerdes showing a guy and his kid how to really get super mpg out of the Prius. If his method of pissing off and ignoring other drivers behind him doesn't make your skin crawl, you're a better man than I am!! LOL

I love it at 7:44 ....Wayne yells "GO TO TEN ! GO TO TEN!" Lmao

Kidding aside there IS some good info there but you''ll never see me putting my car in neutral as he does. Clearly illegal in some states and don't think the black box in the car wouldn't show that info if you were in a wreck and they analyzed the contents.

ES44AC

13. blizzardwhat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @ ES44AC
    I'm cracking up at all the cars passing them. I'm frustrated in regular mode, not even gonna attempt Eco mode. ;) However, I'm getting 55 mpg so far without even trying. Just driving the way I normally do, but pushing the pedal a little more than I'm use to to get the car moving. Not bad.

14. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The on-board display is a bit optimistic you will find if you check the actual mileage by measuring how much fuel you put in compared to how far you went. The inaccuracy is about 2% to 3% from what I read and have observed myself.

I bet at some point you'll be gliding in ECO mode and laughing at the others who don't even get 40 mpg let alone higher, which you will find is very easy to do without irritating anyone. :D

Cheers,

ES44AC

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The HSI display enters power section at a paltry 2000 RPM or so. It's not like you're really pushing the engine hard. Even floored the engine is only in the 4000-5000 RPM range. The Prius ICE lives an easy life.

Much More Better and xs650 like this.
  16. has been

has been vote for anyone except Trump

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was at that seminar in Yakima.
    Did a drive with Wayne.
    He's a good guy.
    I do the neutral thing alot.
    Nothing coasts like a Prius.

F8L likes this.
  17. Jzerocsk

Jzerocsk Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Besides, it won't let you over-rev. Let the thing sing! All my previous cars have been 4-banger stickshifts, so I guess I've learned not to be afraid of letting the engine spin up when I need some get-up-and-go.