1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What changes after break-in period?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dachshund, Aug 31, 2006.

1. dachshund

dachshund New Member

I just bought an '06 model. It has about 300 miles on it. I had it in for the "clearcoat" (touch of class) application and got to drive a loaner with 3K miles on it. It felt more solid, generally quieter, and drove smoother.

I wondered what others have noticed after having the car for a while.

Thanks in advance.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The engine shuts down more smoothly

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    it's considered a mechanical break in point - which pretty much means all the rough edges have been worn off. This leads to a generally smoother operating ICE, which implies increased MPG (less internal resistance to the power being used/generated) and a smoother shutdown, as was already mentioned.

There are also other break in points down the line, where others have claimed to see similar improvement to the 5k break in. Not being that far along myself, i haven't experienced it (but hope i do!).

Note that it's not a sudden thing (ie you won't jump up 2MPG overnight when you hit 5k)... instead it's a gradual break in that occurs over the entire distance traveled. It also can include driver training - ie you learn better how to drive the car. So track your mileage, and i'll bet it'll be better when you hit 5k than it is right now.