1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What does $7k really get you?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by lensovet, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Trust me when I say it's one of the better faux leathers out there. Press on it and it crease like leather (instead of fold like vinyl) and it feels pretty good. Much better than the NuLuxe synthetic material found on the CT200h and other "leatherette" type materials on the German cars.

2. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Any idea how Softex wears over time? Leather gets shiny as it gets rubbed over the years and looks cheap like vinyl leather. If Softex wears better, at least it won't be such a negative.

Personally, I've never understood the appeal of leather. It's sticky and as a result hot. I suppose pet hair cleans more easily off of it, but the flip side is that it can't take any gouging from sharp objects like pet claws, while fabric can at least recover from small gouges.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Since it's new no one can say. Toyota has said (I would guess from their testing) that it wears far better than leather.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The softex feels much better than the so-called leather in my old Corvette, GMC truck, Trans Am and even my friend's SS truck.

5. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree.. I don't understand the overall appeal of leather... hot and sticky IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  6. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The leather in my Prius feels really slippery. I feel like I'm going to slide into the passenger side when I'm doing a hard left turn.

1 person likes this.
  7. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but they are made from real cow skins, no "naugahide" or Softex on our Model 5's :)

8. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If it were made of naugahyde (vinyl leather/pleather) it would be even more slippery than leather.

9. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    wow.. that HUD looks scary... cool but scary, I don't think I would like it.... already enough glare at night without having something written on my windshield conflicting with what I see out the glass! I have no issues about seeing Nav or such where they are on the MCD screen or forward display... I can appreciate the idea of not taking your eyes off the road, but I want to see the road and not confuse what I'm seeing out the glass with what the display is showing.

The PCS is a cool idea for texters that like to rear end people, but I'm leary of technology that thinks its smarter than me and my driving skills..... A good idea if it doesn't conflict or fight against aggressive driving, but not a good idea if the car takes over with a mind of its own in questionable situations..... what is dangerous for some is not for others...
    I haven't used it yet, but I'm envisioning the car braking when I"m simply entering a lane marked off with barriers on the sides or barrels.... in other words.. what looks good on paper doesn 't alway fit all real world circumstances.. and there doesn't appear to be a way to turn it off as its active on its own once you hit the power button to start the car.

I"m sure some of this technology would cause crashes on a race course..... not that the prius is for racing, but sometimes aggressive driving comes to play.

The DRCC seems ok but too expensive..... since its only active while in cruise mode I could see it as an asset as cruise is somewhat of a nuisance to use in crowded traffic.... again, I am trusting the technology to keep me safe rather than being alert and doing it myself....
    People will use this as a crutch and learn to not pay attention as well making themselves dependent upon the technology coming through for them in a pinch.
    While this all has great intentions and could actually save lives, I don't like trusting it..... warning, bells, whistles I can ignore or turn off is ok.. but when I starts messing with my brakes and acceleration I'm nervous.

I suppose when cruise control first came out there were the same concerns.. so I"m sure I'll get over it.. but for now, I won't pay the money.

priuskitty likes this.
  10. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is that everyone who has HUD likes it. You have no issues seeing the nav? I find that hard to believe, because there's no physical way for you to see it while keeping your eyes on the road. This is a safety feature. It's been on Lexus vehicles for years and I have yet to hear of anyone crashing because of it.
    As far as PCS and DRCC are concerned, machines are actually smarter than people. Pretty much always. If you think PCS is only for mindless texters, I would like to suggest that you have apparently been very lucky in life but should never count on this to always be the case. Freak accidents happen all the time and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As long as the technology doesn't override what I'm trying to do or do something not welcomed I suppose it's a good thing.
    I'm sure there is a "cool" factor that comes with the hud and it looks like it's easy enough to turn off if it's a bother....
    I just wonder if it's like the cool solar panels I paid so much to get.... Really neat, but if someone stole them tomorrow, I wouldn't know or miss them.
    I'll have to take your word if you've used it and like it... I guess I don't feel I need it for the money... If it came free as standard I would try it and find out.... But just can't see the 7k to find out...

I've always gotten top of the line packages on my last 3 prius's, but this time I may be making an exception.

Another thought, I've never seen any led lights that stand up to the Halogen package that come with the gen 3 prius.... Especially with silver star ultras or ZXE or similar... The main advantage would be that hopefully the leds would be a non issue for maintenance..... Especially since it wouldn't be funny at all to see what they cost should one go out.

SCH-I535 ? 2

12. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    i couldn't justify the cost either, which is why I got a base pip :)
    you should try checking out the LEDs in person. They don't come anywhere close, imho, to any of the aftermarket mods. They cost $600 each new for just the headlight units without the ballasts. My plan at this point is to try to scavenge them off recycling yards or ebay for much less, but that will be a process. you can check out my mods thread (see sig) for some links.

13. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It is a matter of choice, priorities and values. I tend to own cars a long time--as well as other things. If the 7K is a big deal then I trust you keep your cars a long time because frequent turnover is far more expensive. So is borrowing in times of normal interest rates. My philosophy on "things" is know what you need, list what you "want" and then work, save and spend. Then maintain what you have worked and saved for. I happen to really like the bells and whistles on the Advanced technology package. I am still surprised by them. I also note in many threads laments and complaints regarding things the Advanced package solves. The LED lights are awesome. Far better that premium lights I had in series 2 (that I had to replace twice at $375 a pop). The HDD audio is a fine unit. What a surprise to turn on the audio and find that all my playlists and songs play without paying extra for tethering, or USB connecting. I just get in hit audio and my music or audio books begins where it left off. Never have to fumble with the phone everything is displayed on the large HD screen. Sound is rich and full. Much improved over the premium system in series two. HUD display is just nice--nothing important but neat. The seats are really good. There is a reason luxury cars use leather and it cracks me us the way some demean that quality-the faux leather is a good simulation and I find it exceedingly comfortable and clean up is a breeze. The adjustable power seat has more latitude giving more head and leg room for size challenged people like me. The DRCC was a surprise feature that I find amazing and will forever spoil me for generic cruise control. It is one of those things that once you have, you will miss. Like power windows. I believe it is also a good safety feature.
    I use the entunes power management more than I thought. I haven't found much more of use in entunes. The Home link to operate the garage opener is one of those nice things that eliminates ugly controls on visors. The PCS system works--best at helping when you shouldn't be driving--tired etc. However I found it kicking in when I had not yet recognized a hazard. One time I was looking away from the road and it engaged. I doubt it has prevented anything yet but it is nice to know it is there--again a surprise feature I was not shopping for but appreciate nevertheless.

All this worth the 7K? Only if you enjoy it and can afford it. When I was "poorer" is still wanted the goodies so I waited and bought premium equipped models used. Let others pay the premium and suffer depreciation. This is not an option with the Plug in and I wanted to take advantage of the $7.5K in discounts, incentives and tax credits and 0% interest. So those I used as rationalizations to "justify" extravagance. I'm very glad of the choice I made. Love the car and find no need to demean those who economized on the base model or to label as wasteful those who were willing to pay extra for desired features. Good thread

DadofHedgehog, mnml and ftl like this.
  14. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    well said. hud, drcc, pcs were toys i wanted to have and adding them after would not be possible. could have added leather/softex and the premium nav aftermarket, but it's a hassle to me (quality and oem seamless look at a reasonable price). sure, toyota made some more margin w/PipA but that's why they only offer one trim with all the toys.

15. rcf@eventide.com

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Like some others, I bought the base over the advanced because I analyzed what the additional features were worth to me and decided that it was a lot less than $7k. I was an early orderer and so never got to compare the two versions in person. If I had, or if Toyota had put an asterisk next to the base nav system description saying

" *The base version of the nav system has a small, ugly, unreadable map display that isn't nearly as good as even those in much older models. If you want a better display, buy the advanced version "

I would have paid up for the advanced PiP. Their marketers clearly missed an important blandishment.

Richard

16. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Anyone else notice post #14 by ClaySacramento? After all he wrote down, I like how he ends up with an Advanced in his profile. I had a good laugh.

According to the dealers I visited in my area, no one buys base models. This was not just Toyota. This was Kia, Hyundai, Ford, and Mazda. I could not find a base model of any of the cars I wanted besides a PiP. And let's face it, the PiP base is hardly base being equipped with Nav and seat heaters. Every Toyota dealership I contacted had more Advanced than Base models. I simply don't understand it. How can more people be willing to purchase the Advanced model? All I can say is kudos to Toyota. They got the price differential correct.

Yeah, and the Base Nav sucks. Wish Toyota would've taken it out and given me my $1000 back. Worse piece of garbage than the first Garmin that came out over a decade ago.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not to get too sidetracked on lights, but for those who love to see well at night, the Halogen setup on the gen 3 blows away the hid system on the gen2...I have both, I hate to drive my gen2 at night after being used to the gen 3.

Is the Halogen on the gen 4 better? I don't know.... But I do see lots of led lights on the road and leds look very bright when they are shining at you, "the higher kelvin" but lose their magic for actually illuminating distant objects and having those lumens bounce and reflect back so your eyes can pick it up.

Ever see those blue 6000k leds that hurt your eyes so bad in the rear view mirror?
    Pull up next to one of those guys so you can see what they see and you will note its pretty poor.

I agree most technology is not appreciated till you get dependent upon or used to it.... It does make our lives easier.

There have been very long threads discussing the frustration of not being able to pick and choose.

This will cause some folks to pass up the whole package and Toyota will miss a selling opportunity. While others will buy the whole package to get the one or two items they want and actually find they like some of the other addons that come along in the package too.
    So it comes out in the wash with less footwork for Toyota to not allow too much picking and choosing .

I too am cursed with wanting what I want and usually don't mind paying for it as I keep my cars a long time too.

For me the real nut cruncher issue is "do I even want or would I appreciate those features" regardless if the price? ....

I see negatives and positives....When spending lots of money, a little negative spoils the costly ointment.

SCH-I535 ? 2

18. mnml

mnml Ain't nobody got time for that.

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Great points, Big Dude.

I don't regret getting the Advanced package and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. I went from a Lexus IS350 to a PIP and there were certain features that I was use to and didn't want to give up. The Adv package provided offered most of those features from my previous car so it was hard to go with the base. Nothing wrong with the base model but if you're use to something, it's hard to go back.

19. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Big Dude, one thing I will mention is that the audio software between the two models is identical. The browsing and Bluetooth features you describe work exactly the same way in the Base.
    And yeah, no one buys the base models of other cars – I mean, look at the Prius Two. The Three gets you lots of nice goodies for just a few k. Not 7k!
    Anyway, talk about resurrecting old threads. Lol.

20. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    But the Hardware in the audio is different and I believe much better .[4] display, AM/FM CD player with MP3/WMA playback capability, eight JBL® GreenEdge™ speakers with amplifier.