1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what does the ct200h have that a loaded Prius doesn't have?

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by zmre2b, Mar 13, 2011.

1. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i believe it requires some hardware too :).
    I mean car revs will actually go up and down, has to be something on PSD doing that.

Prius and other HSD cars dont really have that annoying CVT drone... I mean they do a bit, but it is a lot like any other AT transmissions... real CVT transmissions like in Avensis... well, that gives another meaning to what journalists are talking about. I would never ever buy an CVT car without virtual gears after trying out S-CVT in both modes... never ever ever!

Due to electric motors help, you actually start moving quicker in Hybrids so you lack the bad experience of your engine being at 5400 RPM and your car seemingly not moving at all :).

2. zmre2b

zmre2b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But what are the specific differences that make the CT "more balanced" or more "luxury"? What features, gadgets or other specific differences?

What are the "compromises" of the prius?

3. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Examples for compromises: General shape, wheels, suspension, length to width to height aspect.
    Areas of superiority were discussed by others here and in other threads: ride and handling, seating, interior build quality, it's more fun to drive especially in sport mode.
    These things are best appreciated in a test drive, try and take one.

4. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Going from a Toyota Sienna, test drove the Prius, loved the Prius. This is my 2nd Prius, total of 5 yrs.

Test drove the CT200h last week, and loved the CT, will NOT be buying a 3rd Prius, even if it's a PHEV for the same price. I'm not alone in this.

IOW, 40+ MPG with confort & style is "good enough" for me. Breaking the 50MPG barrier with the Prius is not my concern.

I own a Prius because with my research, it's the best bang-for-the-buck (iow TCO) in North America. No more brake jobs, no more yearly 'tuneups', oil changes just when I switch between summer & winter tires.

With the CT it feels like I'll be spoiling myself with luxury & comfort w/o sacrificing what I had with the Prius. Too bad I have to wait another 3-4 years, but then by then the CT + Tech Grp should have the Prius TG bells & whistles too (lane keep, parking, radar...).
    Hoping.

5. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The CT also offers real leather or the standard NuLuxe. The NuLuxe is an environmentally friendly leather replacement. The CT also debuts some environmentally friendly plastics and rear carpet I believe.
    Lexus CT 200h features world's first use of bio-PET; a breakthrough ecological plastic — Autoblog Green

It also has 17"wheels standard with wider tires. There will also be more factory approved F-sport parts for the car (sways, springs, wheels etc).

The dash material is far superior to any Toyota short of the Land Cruiser. The Gauges change from normal to sport (blue to red).

You can change the trim on the dash (aluminum, bamboo etc)

It is the first vehicle to put real bamboo in a car.

The optional speakers use bamboo, a first in a car.

The fit and finish of any Lexus is at a twice as high tolerance rate as a Toyota.

Some have mentioned it but the CT seats are SUPERB.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, the front seats of the CT are fantastic! The back seats, not so much.

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Actually, I was kind of impressed by the backseat, at least compared to my Prius. It was still a bench, but with some contouring and padding that made it nice. Of course, there was a lot less room than the Prius.

8. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey wait a minute. Nothing wrong with the Prius shape. I can put 8 ft 2x4s or trim in it and close the hatch which is one of the reasons why I purchased it instead of another truck. Well that and another truck was a wee bit more expensive.

9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Shape, form follows function, but it is shaped like a prius. I don't think that is a compromise, it is part of what makes a prius a prius.

Seats are a big one. I think the prius seats were to hit a cost and weight goal. It is what stopped my brother from buying one. I would think you could put in much better seats in the prius.

Handling has two major themes. The ct has a much better suspension, but that is mainly a matter of cost, not anything to do with fuel economy. The wheels and tires are also better and these do reduce fuel ecomomy.

General materials are much better but that was done on the prius to hit a price point.

10. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    The unconventional shape, which was done for a purpose, may have frightened 'some' potential buyers...in this respect it is a compromise.

Giora.

11. 1SMUGLEX

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^^ The Prius shape is one of debate. On one hand buyers (and there are tons of them) love it for the way it stands out. Also it has tons of utility being a hatch. I have to say I am quite fond of the Prius with the 17" wheels (espcially in black). I find it to be a good looking car then. Honda clearly used it as inspiration for the current Insight.

On the other hand some people don't like it b/c it screams "Prius". Some people want a hybrid that looks like a normal car. The CT offers this for them. The details are there, if you take your time and review the car, the Lexus "L-finesse" really does a great job with style (to me). B/C of the style you lose some space inside.

I think Toyota/Lexus really has a great combo with the CT/Prius and with the upcoming Prius C/V and the next Lexus IS/ES will offer hybrids.

I think they should have made the HS a hybrid coupe as it offers ANOTHER 4 door with styling that most do not like (oddly my mother loved it and purchased a loaded one).

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think Prius looks better than CT from the outside. If Prius is wider and shorter, it will look even better. Did I just described Prius c?

13. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

when it comes to seats, luxury brand seats are always more comfortable but they also are big and give us less space on the back seats...

In Toyota you sit more upright, like you are on the bench, and hence space at the back is much better as well... In Lexus, you get armchair at the front that also takes up space at the back.

so in the end, it is question of if you want driver to be more comfortable or the rear passengers... I know which one I would chose :)

My GS350 had superb drivers seat... just superb... for instance, much smaller Avensis has drivers seat that is just not good enough, but then at the back, you can fit people in a lot more luxury than GS...

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like I need to spend more time back there ;).

I do recall just barely fitting. I was comfortable and not cramped but of course the real test is if I can sit like that for an hour or two.

15. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I rather suspect it is the other way around. Porsches are unconventionally shaped as well. The shape is an excuse for people who want (for whatever reason) to hate the car.

16. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius (all generations) somehow did not appeal to the Europeans, the CT is first of all a try to answer this.

Giora.

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    CT200h may most likely follow Auris HSD success.

18. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i think it will be more successful than Auris HSD :)

19. 1SMUGLEX

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the Euro market is a tough crack since Toyota has not really led with class leading diesels, which are the majority of the market there. Toyota is leading with hybrids which are slowly growing in popularity but still not preferred to a diesel. Europeans still prefer a more interactive car and the Prius isn't a driver's car.

Early reports show that CT reception has been very warm in Europe. Lexus strategy there is pretty much all hybrid going forward outside of F models to appeal due to lower emissions/taxes.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the companies that buy hybrids would love them. They make good company cars lol. (esp. the RXh)