1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What does this warning light mean?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Wendy Cutler, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Wendy Cutler

Wendy Cutler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2010 Prius is showing a yellow indicator light that looks sort of like this (!) with a squiggly line underneath. I found the indicator in the manual, with a bunch of others, and it just said something like these are some indicator lights.

1 - Is the a diagram somewhere that specifically says what symbol means what?

2 - Does yellow mean just warning, not imminent terrible problem? Am I fine driving the car in town Monday and taking it in to Toyota on Tuesday?

Thanks.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds like low tire pressure. See TPMS Light Confuses Drivers Study Says.

Whether or not it's going to be a serious problem depends on how low the tires are. It could range from no problem to excessive edge wear to tire failure to tires and wheels being permanently damaged.

Also, when it's on, you won't be able to tell the difference between the now and the tire(s) being really low or having a major puncture or leak in any of the tires.

Go buy a tire gauge (if you don't have one) and properly inflate your tires now.

1 person likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1 person likes this.
  4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any chance that it is on the left side above the Ready light and it is a symbol of a car with the squiggly lines underneath?

If that is the case, this is the Hill Start Assist. If you press the brakes a little harder than normal this will come on. Its purpose is to hold the brakes on an incline for a couple of seconds to give you time to move from the brake to the accelerator pedal.

And yes, yellow is warning. Red is a fault indicator.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wendy Cutler

Wendy Cutler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, everyone. Of course, that looks just like a tire! How could I have not recognized that. The light in question is over there on the right where the other trouble indicators are.

I'm an old lady (well, young senior), and I'm terrified of putting air in tires, as every time I tried to put air in my bicycle tires they totally deflated and I had to walk the bike to the bike shop. This would be a lot more serious. It's good to know that yellow means I can drive it to the shop (8 blocks away) and get air before going any farther on Monday.

6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is also related the low ambient temperature due to the winter season. To prevent this issue I would also inflate the tires at the lowest ambient temperature that the car will be operated in. This way, you will ensure that the pressure is adequate even on a cold night.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as it isn't blinking (which indicates a malfunction). If it's just low tyre pressure, it should be a steady light IIRC.

Yes you do need to adjust tyre pressures between summer and winter (inflate during the winter to account for colder temperatures and deflate during the summer to account for higher pressures. Remember to reset the tyre pressure warning system if you change the tyre pressures. You can do that by pressing and holding the "SET" button underneath the driver's side steering wheel [Look waaay down by the pedals])

1 person likes this.
  8. Wendy Cutler

Wendy Cutler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I would never have thought of that - had no idea I could do that.

Yes, I was thinking that our recent low temperatures was probably the cause.

cwerdna, I just read the posting on the symbol. Thanks for including that link. I agree I'm too stupid to drive, and was happy to read that someone else admitted to taking a car in for service to get the tires filled. I had to look up "TPMS" too - Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Actually, it was only the word "monitoring" I couldn't figure out. Makes sense, of course.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It might be one of your tires has picked up a nail (or something), and is losing air. Do get it checked out.

It's not that hard to check your own pressures, and put in air. You can get a simple pressure gauge, at Lordco or Canadian Tire or others, for around $10. There's also dial or digital gauges, but the plain ones work fine.

Taking the pressure is maybe the trickiest part: you need to press the gauge onto the valve quickly/firmly or you will let air escape. It just takes a bit of practice, getting familiar with the gauge.

I just picked up a gauge, and found it quite finicky, compared to others I have. My others have higher pressure range, seem just as accurate, and less prone to losing air.

Chevron is a good station for adding your own air. They are one of few still offering free air. Check pressure when the tires are cold, driven say less than 2km. If that's not possible, add a bit too much, and recheck when cold.

BTW, a lot of Prius owners raise their pressures. The 15" stock pressure is around 35 I think, but many go to around 40 psi, with a bit more in the front than rear, due to engine weight.

1 person likes this.
  10. Wendy Cutler

Wendy Cutler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. All fixed now. It was just that the tires need air. If I go back to riding my bike, I'll practice on that.