1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What every newb should know

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by richard schumacher, Jun 8, 2008.

1. SnJGuin

SnJGuin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for sharing the knowledge. I am new to the Prius model and I am impressed so far. This forum has helped me understand this small but complex vehicle. Keep up the good work!

boneoutLA likes this.
  2. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the warnings/info. I just got this Prius C. It is our second Toyota Hybrid the other 12 Camry XLE that car has been great.

3. Tweettweet007

Tweettweet007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I pick up my Prius tomorrow evening and I'm so nervous. I've been reading and researching tons but all of a sudden I miss my Mini Cooper trade-in. I just hope that I love this car, mpg benefits, and tech toys as much as anticipated. I look forward to partaking in hypermiling very soon!

4. MI Vee Too

MI Vee Too New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    First post, leased it Saturday, haven't embarrassed myself too badly (what's that funny noise) so far. Traded my faithful 2014 Element for it. Love the visibility but I miss being above the headlights.

Howdy everyone! Will fill in my details directly.

5. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Faithful Element? You've had it less than a year; it seems you were the unfaithful one.

6. Elaine08

Elaine08 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Typo? The last year for the Element was 2011.

7. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe he meant 2004?

8. terrileew

terrileew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to have not been here in awhile. I was pretty scared, but the car was in my price range and I read a great deal about it first. 140,000 miles on a Prius is not all on the combustion engine, so not as bad as it sounds. I've replace the battery, had a couple of recalls done, and changed the spark plugs among other things. But it runs well. I'm looking at replacing the catalytic converter now which is expensive, so there is a downside.

9. pmt14

pmt14 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Newbie here. I researched this forum before I bought my Prius. Also I adhere to the recommendations from here thanks. Bought my 2008 Prius with 102K's on it and have been delighted so far. I drive approximately 80 + miles to and from work daily and was spending way to much money on gas in my Toyota FJ Cruiser so I decided to purchase something more economical. I researched and test drove the Prius, Civic, and Ford Focus. Hands down I believe I got the best. I wanted to save some money and knew I'd have to buy something with higher miles to get to my price. I bought from a very good Toyota dealer in my area. The car had previously been purchased from this dealer and locally service by the dealer. Clean Carfax and all service records. I jumped!! So far so good. I do highway and state route driving and average approx. 43 -46 MPG. My FJ was getting me about 17-18 highway. I'm keeping the FJ for winter driving in OH and it's also Fun.

10. MauiMermaid

MauiMermaid New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thankful for this forum and this thread! Learning so much. :)

11. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought my second Prius recently, a Prius 4. But before I sold my 2011 Prius 2, I "tested" it while on vacation since it was still in the "all" period of the warranty. We were traveling cross country, and on HW40 north of Phoenix, it was 119 degrees outside, the air conditioner was on, there were two adults and a kid + "stuff" in the car, and my speed was ~ +/- 85 MPH all the way. It didn't miss a beat. I'm impressed. I got ~ 52 MPG. Unbelievable.

So we have a new 2013 Prius 4. I'm curious though and we are still on the original tank of gas, but the "distance to empty" read 600 miles when I got it from the dealer. Can this possibly be correct?

My old 2011 when new got ~ 460 miles per tank. After a few months it got ~ 390, my guess being California's goof - ball gas formulas being the culprit. Or maybe the fuel bladder shrunk. Or maybe my Prius just decided on it's own how far was far enough... It's a mystery to me.

Does anyone actually get 600 miles per tank? The tank is still 11.9 gallons.

12. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The 3rd generation Prius doesn't have a fuel bladder, and California gas shouldn't be too different from any other gas. You, yourself said that the Prius got 52 MPG in Phoenix at 85 MPH. At that economy, and assuming an 11.9 gallon tank, your distance to empty would be 618.8 miles.

13. Reetha123

Reetha123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    One
    Nice information sharing

14. MamaNinja

MamaNinja New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More than happy to share that I average 47-48 mpg on my 2009 (bought used this Labor Day 2013 with -- brace yourselves -- 13,646 miles on it. B-r-a-n-d n-e-w!!!!!!! Noticed that it takes a longer time to go from 10 pips to 9 (almost 180 mi) -- but from then on it tends to go quicker.
    Guess the acceleration trick is to start quickly (great pointer, thanks!) then just touch up the gas pedal to keep gliding. Even in city traffic I am getting 46-47, on highway 49 mpg.
    So so so happy to spend $105 in gas a month!!!!!!! What a car!!! Owe it to my boyfriend (Prius 2009, 245,000 miles).

15. benkhanobi

benkhanobi Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Been a Prius owner over 3 years- caught the wave in early 2010 when the rental Prii were all taken to the auction due to the runaway Prius scare that was all over the Internet- I bought an 8 yr 125,000 warranty just before the factory warranty expired- consequently I would have no fear driving this car to California and back. I would like to have the Toyota lead seat engineer ride in my car seat for a 3000 vacation and see how he likes it.

16. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm curious to know about this, too. I keep getting out of the car only to realize I've left the lights on.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Factory default is to turn off the outside lights after 30 seconds, giving you light to unlock the door of your home. But it can be customized to turn off immediately, or be extended by about a minute.

Left alone, it will turn off shortly. But that turnoff requires you to exit the driver door without having touched the light switch. If you exit instead via any other door, or touch* the light switch after turning off the ignition, this auto-off feature will be defeated and drain the 12V battery.

* The switch is change-sensitive, not truly touch-sensitive. If after shutting off the car you reflexively turn the light off, then remember that you want some temporary outside light and turn the switch back on, you have overridden the auto-off feature. It will no longer shut off automatically.

18. benkhanobi

benkhanobi Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    20 years ago my Cadillac did that- I was constantly getting yelled at in parking lots- hey mister, you left your lights on. Hmm, my 92 deville got 28mpg on trips- gotta love that air ride suspension and real cushioned upholstery. My car pool riders all fell asleep in 10 minutes-

19. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for responding in both threads, Fuzzy1! Maybe I will experiment with the timing when I get to the garage at work tomorrow. I wonder if I leave the lights on but then lock the car with the fob if it will override the thirty seconds and automatically turn them off? This might be a good "compromise" because most of the time when I am getting out of the car in the dark I will be heading towards my front door and need to be pulling my keys out anyway. Or, again, just learn to stop being an addicted-to-auto-lights n00b and remember to turn the lights off and on.

Sidenote: I am thrilled this is my biggest "complaint" about the car so far. :)

20. mike niemi

mike niemi New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is a NTSB/Toyota Extended Warranty out for 2004 to 2009 Prius cars. The Combo Meter (instrument cluster) will keep running or quit before the 12v battery will drain, this has been a known problem for 18 weeks. I had the combo meter replaced and the center console went out 2 days later. I turned all the light switches to OFF. I turn off the A/C or heater, turn off Radio, turn off headlights, make sure the seatbelt is NOT ajar in the door. The frickin thing still goes dead. Towed in today for 5th time after Combo meter fix. I can hear random noises as the car is running something. According to Toyota ExtraCare, the 12V tiny battery is suppose to come with a 3 year warranty, not one. So, who ever says that is conning you. While overall the car is great, I had the little battery fail 5 times. But something else is making an electronic unit hum or buzz, and I use the FOB to lock it, that is suppose to turn everything off. In Nevada its gets to maybe 24 below. Period. Toyota has robbed me of my pleasure of driving and left me with a 3 ton brick of a computer. If the dealer wont step up, I will see about filing a lawsuit. No where does it say I have to drive it every few days or cold weather will kill the battery. And with the center console dead, if I did get it jumped, I have no battery indicator, no back up cam system, very few controls. The majority of owners probably have jobs or tasks they do everyday. I am retired. I dont drive everyday. Makes me want to buy a FORD.