1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What exactly does having a VIN mean?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sunnysandiegan, Feb 8, 2006.

1. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

Our dealer has a complete VIN for our vehicle and it has our names (DH & I) next to it. Meanwhile, the vehicle is nowhere to be found and it is past the expected "due date" window. I got a call from the sales manager a little while ago. After a frank discussion, we've reached an understanding that the car's whereabouts are unknown. Yet he insists there really is a vehicle in the U.S. coming to his dealership for us. (We have a deposit with his dealership.)

Can anyone tell me exactly what a 'having a complete VIN' really means???

Thanks!
    Karin

2. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It means that Toyota has assigned a serial number to the car. If you have a copy of the VIN number there are ways to ascertain if it is validly constructed; too bad I cannot tell you of hand how to do that just by reading the number. If so, then it makes sense that the car is real, however the car might not be in the states yet. The dealer should have a report or manifest which indicates the VIN numbers of the vehicles which are schedueled for delievery from port to them. That is probably the first place you want to start looking to determine if the vehicle has been shipped form port or not.

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Vin=Vehicle Identification Number

A VIN will have 17 digits and in your case begin with a J. All the VIN means is the Vehicle has been built. In reality it could be anywhere between Japan and your dealership. Also in todays world they can find out where it is just like fedex can track your packages.

4. sunnysandiegan

Thank you both!

Next question:
    Anyone know where the Prius supply in San Diego comes from? I thought it was the port in Long Beach. Is that correct?

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The two ports which Toyota uses on the West Coast are Portland, OR, and Long Beach, CA. The ship stops first in Portland before continuing to Long Beach. Perhaps they offloaded your car at the wrong port.

This is the route map:

North America Routes / Route 2

This is the sailing schedule:

Sailing Schedule February-March 2006.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  7. sunnysandiegan

Thank you very much!!!

Is there a way to see the schedule for January? That is when I was told it shipped from Japan. I clicked around on the site, but it appears to only update (versus keeping all info). Maybe someone saved it before it was updated?

This dealer is "missing" 5-6 Priuses all expected at the same time and none have arrived. They did get a Corolla shipment the other day, but I don't know if that has any bearing on Prius deliveries or not. (Corollas may come from a completely different plant/shipping point, etc.)

8. sunnysandiegan

Oops...duplicate posts.

9. sunnysandiegan

I wonder when they added the Benicia port to the sailing schedule? Maybe that is the hold up on my car. Perhaps the time to make that extra stop is the only delay?

10. jef

jef New Member

Inglewood (Los Angeles county), California

Wow. Who are they? I wish I could track my car myself, that would be cool. Is there a website for that?

Yes I am suffering from Prius Anticipation Syndrome.

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, Benicia has been added, and is real. That's where my cars are coming in for Sacramento. Two days from port to dealership now instead of five. But still no cars...

12. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I'd guess it means that the car is at least on the boat heading toward you.

I was told they do the assignments with the list of cars that's on the boat... meaning they had a few silver pine mica's on the boat and my dealer requested one, so they assigned it to them.

Once it's off the boat, it's already assigned to a date to meet a (train, truck?). After a train ride, it ends up at some depot outside Chicagoland where it gets on a truck that takes it to my dealer.

All of that could be a month or so. Either my dealer really doesn't know when my car is showing up, or they like to leave it loose. They told me 8th - 27th as a range. I've had my VIN for a week or two.

In today's modern shipping/tracking thing, you'd expect that they'd know where the car is(within feet) at all times and have a system that gets it to the dealer on a fairly well defined schedule. I guess not, seems a little relaxed.

13. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In my case, I'm told that there's a car with my requirements on the boat due in port on the 16th (pending weather, pirates, what have you). The dealer only has a "partial VIN." This I simply do not understand. If the car exists, why would the dealer NOT have the VIN? It just doesn't leave me feeling very confident in the whole proceedure!

This process just seems so vague and random. If it drives the customer nuts, just imagine what it must be like for the dealer!

14. agile pagile

agile pagile New Member

Yes here in Benicia, I can see all your Prius" lined up on the waterfront ready to be adopted. Sure is a beautiful sight!

15. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

When I got my Prius, I was given a VIN but told it could change. I was thinking that was odd, either you have a VIN for a car or you don't. They explained that sometimes the last part of the VIN might be different do to someone not paying attention. It happened that mine did not change when it came in.

Ken

16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Really!? Could you go down and write all the VINs down? :)

Seriously though... there are really cars on the ground in Benicia now? I was told that one of mine would arrive at the Benicia port on the 10th. Maybe it is already there? I'm sure they're busy adding all that "port added" crap that I'll be forced to pay for since the dealers' hands are just tied on that stuff.... :(

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Man. I just do NOT understand this. Can any of the dealer members comment on this? The "partial VIN" thing just doesn't make sense. "Not paying attention?" Well, that could happen at any time of course. Is policy built around that assumption? Yikes.

18. jef

jef New Member

Inglewood (Los Angeles county), California
    So I considered that there has been a spotting of new Priuses' in Benicia on Feb 9 (was that when they arrived there Agile Pagile?) and the fact that my dealer told me that my car would be arriving in Long Beach on Feb. 11, and that the Toyofuji ships on the schedule linked above take two days to get from Benicia to Long Beach. Well I think it all adds up.

Looking at the schedule again, and extrapolating back one sailing, it seems perfectly reasonable that the New Century 2 would be in Long Beach today because it looks like it leaves Japan 14 days after it arrives in Long Beach.

So does anyone live in downtown Long Beach? Wanna go over to the Port of Long Beach, Pier B, and see if there is a car carrier docked there right now? :)

My Prius Anticipation syndrome is getting more serious by the day.

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The only way your VIN could change is if the dealer sells the vehicle to someone else. ;)

20. sunnysandiegan

I can tell you that my VIN did indeed change just a little bit. The VIN I was given was physically at the dealer, also, but it was not ready when I got there. Another salesman had a different Seaside #3 all ready to go for his client, but they did not show up when expected. The cars were identical by color and package, so I was given the one that was ready and they will be given the one I had a complete VIN for whenever they pick it up. The interesting thing is it took quite awhile for the salesmen to figure this all out. I gather from what I witnessed and overheard that this is not common at my dealer, but acceptable.

I am just happy my Prius is HERE!!! I love it!!! :D