1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What exactly does the anti theft system do?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by viking31, Mar 4, 2007.

1. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a 2006 #4 which does not have the anti theft system. That's fine with me as it is usually parked in a secure area.

But I have always wondered how the anti theft system adds another layer of security to prevent the theft of a Prius. Is it possible to start the Prius without the FOB? If so, is it relatively easy (or could it be done?) to "hotwire" a Prius?

Rick
    #4 2006

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The "stock" Prius comes with a "vehicle immobilizer". I'm sure someone will come up with a way to bypass it, but it's not likely for the "average" car thief. I suspect it would cost more than the car is worth to develop a bypass for the immobilizer. If they "flatbed" the car, it's easy to steal, though they would have to drag the front wheels onto the flatbed.

The "anti-theft" system most dealers sell adds a glass breakage sensor and turns it and the system on in the car (done in software - all the cars come with the system turned off). So you have to ask yourself, "do I want to hear my car honking and flashing lights as it disappears down the street when someone flatbeds it away?".

The Prius is an inexpensive car. I doubt thieves will want it. Just park it next to a Camry. It's the most popular car to steal. They'll take that and leave your Prius alone. ;)

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Mar 4 2007, 09:21 AM) [snapback]399914[/snapback]</div>
    That would be an Integra and Accord before the Camry.

The "anti-theft" system is Toyota speak for alarm. All Prius come standard with a vehicle immobiliser. The alarm is extra on uplevel packages (although you could activate it for free if you know how and your local Toyota technician is nice enough).

As David said, the GBS is an accessory and needs the alarm system. It will sound the alarm if the glass is knocked hard or a window is broken.

The Prius does not have a tilt sensor so it will not sound the alarm if it's towed away.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Mar 4 2007, 09:21 AM) [snapback]399914[/snapback]</div>
    Of course if you have the HID headlights, they may go after them and leave the car.

5. razzledazzlebee

razzledazzlebee New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Mar 4 2007, 12:21 PM) [snapback]399914[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't say it's "inexpensive." Civics are one of the most stolen cars, and they're less expensive than the Prius...

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    My comments on theft rates are based on the latest stats from the US (shown on Motorweek, as I recall, last week). The Camry was at the top of the list. :( Hondas now also have the immobilizer, due to being on the top of the list for so long.
    I suspect/hope the stolen Camrys were the "older model", without the immobilizer.

There are so many false alarms with car alarms people ignore them. Because of this, my RX-7, which has a stock alarm (starter shutoff, horn, lights), also has a "Viper" alarm installed (alarm horn - set to least obnoxious sound, vibration/tilt sensor to minimum sensitivity, and fuel pump disable). Further, the two alarms are tied together - they will trip each other.
    What I'm getting at here, is a car alarm is not very effective unless you take non-standard "steps". Further, if you have a vehicle immobilizer, you probably don't need an alarm. The alarm will just tell you after the fact that something happened.

8. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Mar 6 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]400915[/snapback]</div>
    That's why you need the Trunk Monkey. :D

Tom

9. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    hate to dig up an old thread. But I've been a bit confused on the alarm system. I realise all models come with the "immobilzer" and panic. I have a mixed bag prius, it has VSC, stock radio, 6 disc and smart key+back up cam, no nav/bluetooth. The car's manual make's it seem like all the cars have an alarm that will detect forced entry, i.e. opening any door after a window is broken, or the hood. Is this feature off from the factory? And should I just go to the dealer to have it activated. I only ask because I set it tonite waited 30 seconds..and walked up with a window cracked, and opened the locked door without any alarm going off.

any help on this? a search only pulls this thread up

regards

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The "Toyota Theft Deterrent System" (aka anti-theft) is simply an alarm.

There are 3 levels of protection associated with the Prius:

Engine immobiliser (standard): coded electronic immobiliser that disables the engine (and possibly other spots but I doubt it) unless the correct key is verified (either wirelessly via SKS or when inserted into the slot)

Theft Deterrent System (Optional/Accessory): This is the alarm. If the hood is forcefully opened, or the door locks unlocked from the inside when the system is armed, the alarm will go off. It will also go off if the battery is disconnected then reconnected. It will not go off if the window is broken. It is possible to activate the alarm without paying for it if you know a friendly service technician that's willing to do it for you (all cars come with the "alarm".. it's just deactivated on those without it)

Glass Breakage Sensor (Accessory): This one is tied to the windows and will sound the alarm should any window shatter or if they're tapped on quite hard.

11. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ok thanks tideland. Do you think any type of work around--hack will come out?

I guess I'll run down to the dealer and see what I can do, pointing out the book state's an alarm is there, doubt they will do it free but who knows. Regardless I may pay, it's a small price to pay probably for prevention of people stealing stuff out of the car right in front of my home, has happned before=/ This is vegas afterall, cartheft/break in capital of the US

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do a search over at PriusOnline. Danman32's posts should help you out.

If there are smash and grab type theft, then the GBS will offer some protection (Assuming people look when the alarm goes off nowadays).

13. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ok good deal, well I do look, it's right under my window in the driveway, too much junk in the garage to park a car, need to get to that someday:D

14. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i believe package 3 or might even be less then that, comes with the alarm turned on. at least thats the way my 2007 touring package 3 is. that
    rings an alarm if the doors or hood are forefully opened. if you want the glass breakge sensor that is extra

and the glass breakage sensor needs to be installed and turned on. they do not come with glass breakage sensors installed by default.

15. Grunthos

Grunthos Senior Azgoth Poetmaster

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the Toyota Configurator at Toyota's official web site, the alarm does, indeed, start at Package 3.

16. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Try it: Roll down your drivers window, get out, and lock the car from the outside (fob or SKS button). Reach in through the window and open the door from the inside. If the alarm goes off, you've got it.

Tom