1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What features does the anti-theft system have?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hooch, Apr 16, 2007.

1. hooch

hooch New Member

While considering options for the 2007 Prius, I asked the salesperson what does the anti-theft system do in addition to the anti-theft features built into the Prius without that option?

In other words, I was getting the smart key and immobilizer in package #2, but wanted to know what package #3 offered in the anti-theft system that wasn't in package #2.

The salesperson didn't know and went around asking others and could not find the answer from anyone at the dealership.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    either system... you can't steal the car unless you have a flatbed truck.

With the smart key system the car uses codes (just like any other car) but these codes change from response to response. So if you walk up to the car it will know you're near ... that's check 1... when you unlock the car it will change codes and check again.. when you start the car, it checks again.

it's said the only way to take a prius would be to replace 3 major computers in the car. unless you have a laptop, a lot of free time and a fob sitting near.. then you can copy the codes. from what's been said over the past 3 years on this board... no prius has ever been stolen.

3. lenkun

lenkun New Member

I guess it's still possible to steal the car even without the keyfob as long as the crook got your authorization code. The standard system basically acknowledges the code from your key when within range and once it matches, the car is unlock and the engine is able to startup.

Since the code is transmitted wirelessly through RF, it's possible for a nearby thieft(parked next to your Prius or outside your garage) to setup some appratatus to sniff out and capture the transmitted packet which contains the binary code. The car sends out a pulse of code in a given interval to see if the right keyfob is present. Once the data is captured, the crook then can dump out the authorization key using a reverse engineering and tools such as disassembler and HEX editor and then re-inject it into a rouge keyfob.

This is what the saleman told me when asking me to upgrade the package. He told me that with the upgraded security packet, it protects the key code by scrambling and encrypting in with a 256-bit AES key hash with SHA1 integrity and then both the car and keyfob performs a private key exchange handshake through RSA via a certificate authority provide by Toyota to validate the authenticity of the vehicle and the owner. Because of this extra layer of protection, the crook won't be able to compromise your vehicle security even if they got your code.

4. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Not that I want to do such a thing...but does anyone know if its remotely possible to 'hotwire' a prius?

Good question though I would like to know what the Anti-theft from Package 3 and up adds to the 'alarm' system..

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The "Toyota Theft Deterrent System" basically adds an alarm to your existing system and allows for a panic button (in most Toyota models).

That's basically it.

A Glass Breakage Sensor (GBS) is a dealer-added accessory and you must have the alarm to have the GBS.

If your area has a low crime rate of smash&grab types, then an engine immobiliser will do.

6. lenkun

lenkun New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darken @ Apr 16 2007, 01:14 PM) [snapback]424089[/snapback]</div>
    You can probably hotwire it by ripping out a lot of the computer controlled devices, but I doubt you can hotwire and startup up the vehicle remotely. You'll still have to be there physically to drive it off, unless you can remotely startup and drive the vehicle using the built in GPS.

7. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 16 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]424099[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks that more information then my local dealer could provide and makes perfect sense.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darken @ Apr 16 2007, 11:32 AM) [snapback]424113[/snapback]</div>
    np

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you want to go a step further than just protecting your Prius, consider getting a Trunk Monkey. Take a look at the "thrown from a bridge" video at http://trunkmonkey.com It's very funny. :D

Tom

10. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 16 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]424146[/snapback]</div>
    Very funny vid. I gotta get a trunk monkey... The wife would keep it as a pet LOL she would take it out of the car and then back to square one..hahaha

11. kiwiruss

kiwiruss New Member

I got my package 2 with an upgraded alarm that package 3 has.