1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What food do you miss when you're away from home?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hkmb, Feb 17, 2014.

1. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This thread was in today's Guardian. It's dominated by British people, so it's interesting for me, but might be a bit lost on a lot of you.

Tastes of home: what food do you miss the most? | Life and style | theguardian.com

I can get most British food in Australia very easily. But when I lived in China, these were the things I really missed.

- Meat pies
    - Scotch pies
    - Decent cheese (not so much now, but when I first lived in China 20 years ago, there was nothing).
    - Cider (alcoholic cider, not the fizzy apple drink some Americans think of as cider)
    - Indian curries

Australia is pretty good for all of those, except for curries. They're OK here, but just not what you can get in Britain (and, Grumpy Cabbie, I hate to admit it, but this is an issue on which Yorkshire beats Lancashire. Your curries are fantastic.).

When I'm not in China (which is about 7/8 of the year now), the thing I miss most is mapo tofu (tofu with chilli, pork and Sichuan pepper): you just can't get a decent one outside of Mainland China, and it's usually the first thing I have to eat when I get to China. Hui guo rou (double-fried pork with chilli) would be next on the list.

My British friends who live in America usually say that it's savoury pies (meat pies and chicken pies) that they miss most.

So, what do you miss when you're away? What do you rush to have when you get home?

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    smelt
    razor clams
    blackberry cobbler

when I get back to WA

3. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Cornish pasties!

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Blackberry cobbler in particular sounds like a very fine thing indeed.

5. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mmmm.

You can get pasties here, but they're not very good. It's one of those things that only seems to work in Britain.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    After a trip to San Francisco as a child, I have desired sourdough bread. I always end up disappointed with what is available elsewhere.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hkmb's love of Sichuan hua jiao far exceeds mine, but I will certainly agree that there is lots of tasty Chinese food that is not done elsewhere. Those who have eaten CH food in the US probably have no idea. I certainly did not, before coming here.

Meanwhile "American" foods y'all take for granted are reproduced by chain restaurants here and sold 'as if'. They are most certainly not.

China has no shortage of chili pepper, but the palette of flavors is narrow. New Mexico, I'm thinking about you...

8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My love of Sichuan hua jiao far exceeds most people's.

Back in the olden days, when I first lived in China, you couldn't get foreign food, obviously. But it was also hard to get food from other parts of China. I had friends in Tianjin - mainly students - who were from Sichuan. They actually got properly depressed because of the lack of Sichuan food. Doctors told them that this was quite a common problem among Sichuan expats: there's some sort of dopamine release or something triggered by chilli and Sichuan pepper, and if you can't get it, you suffer from withdrawal. They were getting their parents to send them parcels of chilli and Sichuan pepper so they could cook for themselves.

Like you, my experience of Chinese food growing up in Britain had no relation to Chinese food in China. In fact, in Hong Kong there's a restaurant targeting the British expat market that sells "British-style Chinese food" for the people who miss sesame-prawn toast and luminous orange sweet-and-sour pork.

And yes, you're right about American food in China. If I'm being taken to lunch by a Chinese company, my heart sinks when I realise they've decided to take me for a "Western" - usually some dire steak at SPR Coffee.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I miss the fresh blueberries and raspberries from my garden.

And Pacific sockeye salmon. Yum.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Does British style Chinese come with an American fortune cookie?

11. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I miss ANY food cooked at home by my wife when I'm on 4-months contract on board my ship :rolleyes:

srellim234 likes this.
  12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Recently yes.

13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Original Cornish Pasty - Ginsters - Cornish Pasty Bakers

Mmmm I do love a good Cornish Pasty, though a local baker near me makes them and they're gorgeous.

Though if it were something I'd really miss elsewhere (other than proper fish n chips and mushy peas), then it would be pork pie and mushy peas. Mmmm. Doesn't get nicer than that, though it's not something that seems to be successfully made by anyone other than your local butchers. Nice and hot after a cold winters walk lol.

I think only ftl and a few others will know what I'm on about.

ftl likes this.
  14. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In-n-out for sure, which is why I avoid travelling outside of the West Coast (Best Coast) nowadays. Four years in Boston was cold and snowy and In-n-out'less enough for me.

15. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    One place where the "Like" button is entirely appropriate!

16. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There used to be one place in Hong Kong that did them, but it's definitely an American thing. There are a couple of places in Australia that do them.

17. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I've never really been a mushy peas person.

I'm lucky in that Australia we can get excellent fish and chips. ftl, have you ever found decent fish and chips in America?

I have never had a proper pork pie in Australia. There are good Scotch pies at a butcher about 10km from me, though, so that's a good thing.

18. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Around New York at least, there's nothing to compare with British fish and chips. We had Arthur Treacher's for a while, which was just about OK, then they were bought by Nathan's, the famous Coney Island hot dog chain. Nathan's always had good chips, but the battered fish is still only OK.

When we're in the UK a Cornish pasty is still my favourite lunch, and we usually manage a couple of proper fish and chip dinners.

19. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No proper fish and chips is a terrible thing. Given how many British people there are in NY, I'd have thought there would be someone willing to help you through your suffering. It's dreadful.

20. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And there are a lot of Irish too and all my Irish friends are partial to the odd Fish n Chips too.

I guess Sydney is different to other parts of Oz as I've got some friends near Brisbane and they have to drive a good 30 miles for good fish n chips. Or is that not far for you lot? :)

Talking of curries, Bradford is near me and was always great for a good one and brings back happy memories of some real rough and ready curry houses, but with cracking food. Haven't been since the riots though after a scarey experience. Shame, but that's how it is.