1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What happens : 'surplus energy' on freeway

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Emcguy, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm aware that the ECU keeps the battery on 80% on the freeway but what happens when a short decent, followed by a straight results in 100% charge? Is the surplus energy blead (earthed) out or does the main MG get a short boost so that the ICE / gearing can relax for a short while. My assumption was that the MG would already be close to max power all the time.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Below 45 mph on level or down-sloping terrain, the car will run in EV mode, so the MG runs and consumes HV battery power.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When I studied this on a gen 2, the ability of Motor/Generator 2 (most attached to the wheels) to convert electricity into rotational power exceeded the ability of the battery to convert chemistry into electricity AND the ability of M/G 1 to convert rotation into electricity. It can AWAYS use more electricity than it has available, so never has to waste any.

The battery cannot always convert electricity into chemistry, so the computers may choose engine braking to waste that excess, but once stored, it never needs to waste it. I would be surprised if this was still not true.

Emcguy likes this.
  4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The engine will rotate to use up extra energy that cannot be stored in the full HV battery. The injectors are off so no fuel is being used in this state. I've observed this occur quite a bit in my old Prii. The engine spins at approx. 3,000-3,500 RPM.

5. nsfbr

nsfbr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The ECU keeps the battery at 60% nominally, not 80%. It may appear to be 80% on the little graphic display, but 80% is pretty much as high as the car will charge the battery, ever. I've noted this before, but all bars lit ~80%, no bars lit ~40%. That is part of how you make the battery last as near to forever as this technology can get. It has long been my guess that Toyota had originally hoped to expand the useful capacity of the battery once they had experience with the Prius, but found that the 40% - 80% absolute range cutoff served their purposes best.

That said, on long downhills the car will just coast faster rather than regen into the battery if it is fully charged, fully meaning 80%. So, the "engine drag" that is really regen will lessen and only the drag needed to pull the engine along (to keep mg1 from over-rev'ing) is felt. If you are in cruise control, I'm certain what happens with the v. Back when I drove a Gen2, I can tell you that the answer was that the car just coasted faster, as I learned on a long road trip as I coasted up to 75 and got a speeding ticket from the cop sitting at the bottom of the long hill.

ozjimjam and KK6PD like this.
  6. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    My v will also speed up when in speed control mode, if the battery is "full". Once that state is achieved, only the friction brakes will slow it down, which the speed control does not use. It uses engine braking, but that's not enough on a steep grade. I'm not positive what the radar assisted speed control would do if you're following another car.

7. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just to clarify, what was said above about engine drag is true _if_ you are continuing down a long steep slope. In the case mentioned by the OP, where it flattens out after a down hill the Prius will prioritize more electric drive to bring the battery back down to its nominal SOC. It will do this at any speed, not just when slow enough to run true EV. At higher speeds it will be blending more electric drive with the ICE or running warp stealth with the ICE spinning but without fuel and valves set for minimal drag.

Basically when you depress the accelerator you are requesting a certain amount of power, and the HV controller decides how to satisfy that request most efficiently based on a bunch of inputs from various other sensors and controllers.

Back when folks were hacking on the Prius to investigate PHEV conversions, it was found that there was a sweet spot around 74% SOC (as I recall) where the Prius would use lots of electric drive at all speeds. In a stock Prius you normally move out of that range pretty quickly, but in the PHEV conversions they could operate there for an extended period of time which was key to getting 100+mpg out of a gen 2.

Rob

Emcguy and F8L like this.
  8. nsfbr

nsfbr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The panic beep would alert you to the impending collsion and the crash avoidance system would limit your impact to something a bit more than $1k of damage. At least that's what I'd expect to happen based on the testing that has been done by IIHS. :)

(By the way, that is sarcasm. I have no idea if that is what would happen and I'm not intent on finding out.)

9. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I''ve been testing the radar assisted speed control on my 2015 Prius v wagon five w/ATP. Mine will definitely apply the brakes... and if necessary will brake very hard.

I approached stopped traffic on the highway... and it aggressively brought me down essentially to a stop. I applied the brakes manually once I slowed to a couple of miles/hour to keep the car stopped until traffic started flowing again.

I think the radar assisted speed control is my favorite new feature on this Prius.

/Jim

10. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Its not obvious when the CC and pre-colision system interact, but they do. If the car is beeping at you, its the pre-collision system.

11. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It does brake without beeping if necessary... so I do not think it is the pre-collision system. I do think that both would probably engage if necessary.

/Jim

12. Umar Muslim

Umar Muslim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    The Crash Control must initiate
    in such a case
    otherwise Toyota would get sued

13. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It is very clear when the crash control system initiates. The upper panel starts flashing red, and the alert sound is very loud.

I believe this is completely independent of the radar cruise control... which also does apply the brakes. There is no question that when necessary, the cruise control will apply the brakes as needed to maintain proper distance from the car in front of you.

/Jim

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From another PriusChat member

15. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So the PCAS (piled cardboard avoidance system) works?

16. duttonw

duttonw New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    very nice

17. CrazyLee

CrazyLee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The earth mover down the street would have been a better target!
    Guaranteed to stop the Prius!