1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what is RPM range? and does anybody else miss their tach?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by derekderek, Oct 16, 2014.

1. derekderek

derekderek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    bugs me i don't know what rpm engine is at and sometimes even whether it is running or not. i understand it is entirely superfluous but i still find myself lifting off gas to make it shift. old habits...

2. X HCH2

X HCH2 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Most of us that want more info just get a Scangauge. RPM can be constantly displayed.
    X

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or a phone app. or the pro dash if you really want all the info right in front of you!

4. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    According to my Ultragauge, the Gen2 redlines at 5k RPM.

5. derekderek

derekderek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i don't need red line. people who wanna know that don't buy prii. i am wondering if it is at 1200 or 2500...

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    According to my scan gauge 2, my Gen 2s PRMs at 60 MPH was between 1500 and 2200 on level ground.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the car is moving forward at the speed that you intend, then why does it matter what speed the engine is running at?

If you care about the engine speed, it would be more interesting to see what speed MG1 and MG2 are operating at. MG1 speed and direction especially would be much more interesting to monitor, as the gasoline engine turns on and off.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  8. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You asked for the range, I let you know that the max is 5k and the minimum is obviously 0.

If you want a tach, Scangauge, Ultragauge, bluetooth OBD2 scanner for phone, and adding an aftermarket tach would be some of your options.

9. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you install aftermarket tack that attaches to ignition tack may need some modification to work. And it doesn’t work when engine is spinning but not using fuel.

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The OBDII tachs mentioned show RPM even when the ignition is off. On the ScanGauge 2 it is important to tell it you have a hybrid, or it will go to sleep when RPM = 0

If you are used to 'car guy' meters, I run RPM, Volts DC, Engine Water Temp, and Intake Air Temp. There are literally over a hundred gauges you can program it to show. (4 at a time)

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I miss the tach a bit. I miss coolant temp a lot. Resolve both omissions, and a LOT more, with a ScanGauge II. Still, built- in decent gauges would be nice.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have filmed lots of Prius driving videos, some with aftermarket gauges.

Here's one with the 2010 of the ScanGaugeII:

This one is with my 2012 PHV of my phone running the Torque app:

And this is with my 2012 PHV using an export & convert of the data collected by Torque:

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I can see the value of MG1 rpm but not the value of MG2 as this is a fixed value of road speed "approximately 120 x mph" depending on tyre size on the vehicle shown.

John (Britprius)

#13 Britprius, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  14. hieronymous

hieronymous Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I can see some value in MG2 rpm when the car is cruising about 80kph and MG2 is generating to power MG1 as an overdrive for the ICE - for me that continues to be a really "cool" aspect of the HSD technology.

15. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    RPM of MG2 is always directly related to speed of front axle. It would be interesting to see power consumption or generation but RPM doesn’t tell anything about power (almost).

If Prius is going forward and we need “underdrive” so that engine can have high RPM power is MG1 that is spinning backwards (cause engine is spinning it that direction trough power split device) to MG2 that is spinning forwards at speed directly related to speed of car.

If Prius is going forward and we need “overdrive” so that engine can have low RPM power is MG2 spinning forwards at speed directly related to speed of car to MG1 that is spinning forwards (cause of power sent to it).

So its RPM and direction of MG1 that is interesting. Both of those situations are simplified since normally power is also sent to or received from battery.

#15 valde3, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  16. Justin Walter

Justin Walter New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi John - I'm a new 2008 Prius owner and would love to be able to add the data that you show on-screen. I've bought a bluetooth ODBII Interface (ELM327), but cant see where to connect it??. Also do the vehicle manufacturers have more than one type of connector.
    I worry that the engine overevs when accelerating fast and the information you illustrate would be great.

17. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did that, but found that the frequent off-on cycles made the rpm info less useful than on a traditional car. I shifted that Scangauge field to gallons per hour fuel consumption , which seems to fit the Prius's mission better. "Engine Load" might be even better if you were trying to "drive with load" and pulse the engine at 80% load before gliding.

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There's no reason to, since the system won't let you. Unlike a traditional vehicle, pushing the throttle to the floor doesn't allow RPM to climb as high as the fuel burst will push it. The engine is held to a maximum of 5500.

19. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you change the type of engine from gas to hybrid in the scanguage, the display does not turn off with the engine.

20. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ^^^to clarify--you are correct that the engine type must be set to "hybrid" so that the Scanguage does not turn off as the Prius engine cycles off. But even when that is done, my point was that rpm info on our Prius was essentially "engine on" (rpm>0) versus "engine off" (rpm=0), which was redundant with what I could hear. In contrast, I cannot distinguish fine gradations of fuel consumption or engine load by ear, so I substituted those fields for rpm. Just my preference for getting maximal useful,info with the Scanguage.