1. Offline

RhinoPrius Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have three Generation 2 Prius's and I want to know if anyone has converted their Prius to E-85 ? I would like to know if the claims of increased performance and mileage are true. There are many conversion kits claiming to be the best. They claim better performance and cleaner emissions on a Prius Generation 2. What is the best flex fuel conversion kit for a Prius? What has your experience been with E-85 ? Are the conversion kits legal in the State of California ? Please reply with your experiences. THANK YOU !
  2. Offline

cwerdna Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the normal looking post. IIRC, you'd posted multiple times before w/a crazy # of emoticons, for some reason. If so, those posts were deleted... it seems.

I don't know anyone who's done it. I hope you realize there aren't many E85 stations in the Bay Area. See Growth Energy Market Development.

It also seems foolish given the E85 MPG/BTU adjusted price at http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/. CR tested a flex fuel capable Tahoe. Per Test results: E85 vs. gasoline, their mileage went from 14 mpg on gasoline to 10 mpg on E85. More info on the links on the left side of the article.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2706.shtml and shows what's different between a flex fuel vs. non FF car.
  3. Offline

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    8.3333 * $3.65 E10= $30.42 400/$30.42 = 13.15 MP$
    8.3333 * $3.15 E85= $26.25 280/$26.25 = 10.67 MP$

Even if it was safe and efficient to run a Prius on E85, the Miles per Dollar would not work out.
    1 people like this.
  4. Offline

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's really no increased performance with a Prius since it's a naturally aspirated engine. The major gains are seen in forced-induction situations where E85 allows for significantly increased boost pressure.
  5. Offline

mynameisjim Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That video sounds overly sensational. "Buried way deep in the engine, clear down in here, VALVES!" He's not describing or pointing to a place where valves are normally installed.

I don't doubt his point, metals in our vehicles will react differently to E85, but I disagree with his method.
  6. Offline

cyclopathic Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yeah, go to Fueleconomy.gov and pick any Chrysler/GM flex fuel product. Reduced MPG kills all per gallon savings, YMMV