1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the Best way to delay Charge ?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jack520, Jul 21, 2014.

1. jack520

jack520 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The timer built into the Prius needs to be pressed each time a delay is needed ?

Is this correct ?

This is a pain in the butt...to remember .

Can you just hook up a timer on your wall plug that will only provide power during the off peak hours ?

2. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you can find a timer that will handle the power it would probably be ok. I have my timer set to finish at 5 AM so the battery doesn't sit at full charge much longer than necessary. Pushing the button doesn't seem to add much to the time/effort beyond that used to do the plug-in. For other recharges during the day the button is not needed.

jack520 likes this.
  3. woody weaver

woody weaver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Others have documented not having power during certain times doesn't harm the charge, so you are probably safe.

Note that then if you wish to run two trips during the day, you would have to disable the timer, which might be a bigger hassle.

There was an extended discussion about reducing battery wear by minimizing the time spent at 85% -- but I don't recall any quantifiable numbers on which to make a rational decision. On the other hand, if you are on a tiered energy use program, that would provide excellent quantification for a good decision (based upon your own ability to remember to press a button...

jack520 and CaliforniaBear like this.
  4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The timer button is close to the PWR button to shutdown. I just make a habit of hitting it after the PWR button.

jack520 likes this.
  5. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    +1. I know I want to charge almost every night, so it is an easy habit to form. When I park in the garage I lower the front windows, so it's easy to reach in from the passenger side later to push the timer button before plugging in. I then check the green light that tells me the timer is set. I do this when I know I won't be driving again that day. If I'm going to plug in immediately for timer charging I hit the button before leaving the driver's seat. Seems to me if you are going to have a timer on the wall you would have to remember to check its operation too. :rolleyes:

jack520 likes this.
  6. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    From my experience, I think that you don't even have to wait for your last drive of the day to hit the timer button, as long as you don't intend to charge until the timer setting. The timer seems to stay on just fine if I press the timer button on the way home, stop for gasoline (!) or groceries, continue home, and plug in for the night. The green timer light is on solid while driving, and flashing when the car is off.

CaliforniaBear and jack520 like this.