1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the infatuation??

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 4MsPrius, Mar 2, 2012.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, of course I know why some folks are here on Priuschat. I've been a user since 2005, before I owned one and have made almost 7700 posts here.

I think JimboPalmer's post sums things up pretty well. I think you should read over http://priuschat.com/forums/other-c...uth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates.html about the EPA test. No, this doesn't cover whatever the EPA had to add on to test the EV "mileage".

If I didn't need to go at the time I first responded, I would've elaborated more.

For me, I posted part of my reasons why I got a Prius in 06 at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...hinking-trading-prius-maxima.html#post1186036. At the time, there was a $3150 Federal tax credit and CA HOV lane stickers (those yellow expired in July '11 and one needs to buy other vehicles like the Leaf, PiP, eAT-PZEV Volt, etc. to qualify for white or green stickers that are still valid). I like gadgets, our Toyotas have been reasonably to very reliable. Priuses and Toyotas in general do well in reliability.

Now, I'm pretty averse to buying another non-hybrid or non-EV, unless the car in question just doesn't exist in hybrid form. I do care to some degree about CO2 emissions (directly proportional to the amount of fuel burned) and our dependence on a non-renewable resource, oil, ~1/2 of which we import most of which resides in volatile regions of the world and where the people or governments don't like us much/have our best interests in mind. Some of the oil money somehow finds its way into the hands of terrorists and those who want to kill us.

At current prices, about $1 billion/day is flowing out of our country to pay for foreign oil. It seems like lunacy, to me. We're also competing against countries like China and India w/over 1 billion people each and each w/a growing middle class, more of which will be able to afford cars.

Driving a PHEV or EV can help reduce that dependence, w/an EV, much more so.

Also, the PiP, depending on the trip, when EV vs. HV mode is utilized, can help reduce the effects of the poor mileage (hit) that one normally gets on the first ~5 minutes of driving. Cold engine == poor mileage in all cars, but it's particularly noticeable when you look at your gas mileage history for those first few minutes on a Prius. If the drive is short enough, the engine may not even start at all.

Fortunately, electricity in NC is relatively cheap (EIA - Electricity Data vs. ripoff CA). However, if you're looking for a "payback" period vs. the most minimally equipped Prius Two, you might find that to be tough or to take a LONG time.

It really depends on your priorities and whether you think it's "worth" the extra money to get some EV only range provided by electricity from the wall, some of the behavior differences the PiP has over the regular liftback, and some of the extra standard equipment the PiP has.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Making a difference while also participating in an important chapter in our history is quite rewarding. Each person contributes a little with a great outcome for our children. Do we need any other reason?

3. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I get 50's mpg in winter and 60's in the summer, nuff said.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I completely agree with this. It applies to the purchase of an EV also. Buying a Leaf or a Tesla (if you can afford the latter) is helping show those companies and the industry that there is a market for the most radical, forward-thinking alternative to gasoline, and in the case of Tesla, the very existence of the company depends on whether or not people buy their cars.

Even in he case of the Zap Xebra, though Zap was never going to be a player in the market, buying a Xebra showed the industry that a few people were willing to make significant compromises to drive electric. And any time an auto executive saw a Xebra, or a Zenn, or a Gem on the road, he had to think "If a few people will buy that, a lot of people would buy a proper electric car."

5. 4MsPrius

4MsPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    CWderdna - thank you very much for your response. I will be looking into the other posts you recommended. I have to say that the main reason I am looking at this car is for the same reasons you have stated above, so we are on the same boat. This is more of a political statement for me and strongly agree with all of the above.

BTW, I did look at the 2006 post and was looking to see if anything has changed with this years prius. Again, thanks for taking the time.
    4MsPrius :car:

6. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's pretty much all of that for me. But there's several other factors that have all lined up at the same time to make it worthwhile to buy a PiP right now:

1) My current Prius is 7+ years old and has 161K miles on it and is averaging about 42 to 45 MPG.

2) A new PiP will give me an immediate MPG boost. This isn't even considering the additional MPG boost I'll get from the Plug-in capabilities of the car.

3) A new PiP will give me additional features I don't currently have on my current car (backup camera, iPod integration, better hands-free speakerphone system, a manufacturers warranty again, etc)

4) My son needs a second car for his family. His current car, a '95 Jeep with 244K miles gets about 20MPG. He'll be easily doubling his gas mileage & getting a more reliable car.

I could instead get a regular 2012 Prius II or III for cheaper. Most of the reasons stated above would still apply. But when I factor in the tax credit, the CARB rebate, and access to the HOV lanes again, it tips the balance in favor of the PiP. The so-called plug-in premium that I'd be paying for the PiP over that of a Prius II or III becomes rather minor.

In 2005, the MSRP on my car was $26,000. When I factor in the tax credit and the CARB rebate I'm getting, it lowers the PiP's effective MSRP to $29,000. The same car I bought in 2005 today would be $30,000. So not only am I getting more car, I'm spending less money than I did 7 years ago. Of course, if I simply kept my current car and didn't buy a new one, I'd be saving even more money.

1 person likes this.
  7. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    News flash: Chevrolet has suspended Volt production due to excess unsold inventory. Maybe the fire issue with damaged batteries, and the fact that until a new emissions option became available in February, it did not qualify for the HOV sticker, has something to do with that. Hopefully we PiP buyers will be in sufficient numbers to convince Toyota that there is profit in this product line.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They know there's profit in it. It's not a LEAF. It's a Prius with a new lithium battery in place of the existing NiMH (they're making lithium batteries anyway for the alpha), a charging circuitry, a beefed up inverter, and some new software.

Next generation battery will probably mean a bigger battery available through higher energy density.

9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, you guys have it all wrong! The Number One Reason to buy a Prius Plug-in is: PriusChat, the Best Online Car Community on Earth!

I commute 45 miles each way to work. Because of a medical condition one of my children has, I cannot move. I bought a Prius two years ago to save gas. Not only do I save on gas, but I really love this car. The Plug-in Prius represents the ability for me to get home early enough to have dinner with my family, something I've rarely done in the past five years.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I wonder if makes sense to trade our 2006's for a PiP?
    I have no HOV nor $tate incentives, I am EV-skeptic as far as politics, strictly business here.
    We trade in for good price and sacrifice some space and a spare but hopefully my SARIS roof rack fits PiP.
    We avoid any traction batt etc costs and get the Toyota cost deal if avail.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and, you'll be in good company. of course it makes sense.:D

12. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not sure why you expect to give up space with the PiP. By fueleconomy.gov numbers 2012 PiP has ~37% more cargo space than the 2006 Prius, 22 cuft vs. 16 cuft. The space difference between the 2012 Prius and PiP is limited to just the underfloor storage area as far as I know. That could matter if you routinely pack the car to the gills and need that extra cuft or two under the floor, but with either new model you should have more room than your Gen 2.

If you are only basing the decision on money, I think its a hard sell. For most people the cost savings of a PiP vs. a liftback will be a few hundred dollars per year at best. In a way the standard Prius is the PiPs worst enemy ;) With some of the deals on PiPs right now you might be able to break even or better at least if you would have bought a III or higher. Breaking even vs a II might still be tough, but could be possible depending on your electric rates.

If I could afford a new car right now I would probably buy a PiP, mostly to continue to reduce our carbon output (just installed solar), reduce foreign oil consumption, I enjoy being on the cutting edge of technology and I believe in supporting companies who are taking risks to move us away from fossil fuels.

Rob

13. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Its already the best most efficient car on the road, the regular prius. So for the same price you get all that plus carpool and better mpg, and get to help be a part of building a compatible EV infrastructure for the future.

miscrms likes this.
  14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you...we do pack to the gills sometimes so the space is important to me. We do have roof box/rack.
    Do you think the 22 cuft vs. 16 cuft is a mistake? or true? maybe they forgot to add the underfloor storage to the 2006?

15. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm curious about that to. Don't have any experience with the Gen 3 so I can't say really. My understanding when it came out was that it was a bit wider and taller in the back, so maybe that makes the difference? We have a rack and roofbox too, great solution for those rare times we need more room IMHO. I'm still amazed how well the Prius meets the needs of our family, when the conventional wisdom would tell us we need a van or SUV. While I'm a big proponent of plugs, getting more people to realize they could be driving a 50mpg Prius instead of a 16-22mpg minivan or SUV would certainly do much more to reduce our nations dependance on oil.

Rob

16. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    FWIW I took the OPs post to mean, I know I want one, I'm just not sure why :) I know I do. So far my logical brain that says keeping my gen 2 and eventually adding a plug-in kit when I can afford it makes more sense has won out. There are days its a real struggle though ;)

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sometimes, a car is more than transportation. and what's wrong with that? we spend our money on other things that make us happy. just because we drive pri, doesn't mean we have to calculate to the last tree hugged! :)

18. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    because the chicks dig it (and by chicks I mean my beautiful wife of course).

19. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I also am not fan of terrorism, and I hate that they get 5 cents every time I go to the store on gas.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was hoping CWERDNA would convince me to hold the 2006 as he and I both have 2006's we really like a lot.
    because the chicks dig it? Dang bust apparently I need more than a Prius unfort. My spouse takes ownership of all the new cars in the house, if that's what you mean.