1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the valet key used for?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Canicus, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Canicus

Canicus New Member

Los Feliz District, Los Angeles, California
    all! I have a question that I'm sure someone will have an answer for.

My 05 Prius has the SKS key fob with the little valet-type key inside it. What exactly is the key used for theoretically? I don't see a keyhole to start the car nor so I see a keyhole for the trunk. I can see using the key to unlock the door but besides that...what else is it intended for?

I thought maybe it was for valet parking but since there is no known-to-me keyhole to start the car, how do we use it?

Can someone please explain this to me. I should probably read the manual section for this but I figured you guys would know.

Thanks!

2. xevious

xevious New Member

You should definitely read the entire manual. There is important information about the operation of your new vehicle in there!

There's no such thing as a "valet" key for the Prius. SKS-equipped vehicles have exactly one mechanically-keyed lock; in the event that the battery in your fob dies, you'll need to use it.

Bonus points for answering why a fob with a dead battery can still allow the vehicle to start. (Hint: it's in the manual.) ;)

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hehe.. read the manual

but.. if you leave the car on.. and the doors lock behind you...

well.. let's say you have a kid in the car and he decides to lock it.. while you jumped out to get the mail. since the car is on, you can't use the buttons. you have the key instead.

like xevious said. use it to open the door. if the fob dies, or the battery dies... if the electronics give out in any way, you have a key to get in.

4. xevious

xevious New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid\";p=\"85429)</div>
    Do I detect the voice of experience? :)

5. propking

propking New Member

My Prius came with Valet Cards which you give to the valet and it gives them the minimum information on how to start, stop, park and lock the car. I personally wouldn't let a valet park mine anyway. Too many gadgets to cause temptation.

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lol.. no.. not experiance. i'm only 21. i won't have kids till after i'm 25. i set that standard for myself a long time ago.

7. Cyndrax

Cyndrax New Member

I don't have the manual in front of me, but does it have to do with inserting the fob into the ignition "slot," allowing the car to sense the key and start?

Brian

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The metal key goes into the only keyhole on the whole car: on the driver door. This is so if the fob or car (aux) battery dies, you can still get in the car and put the fob in the slot (in this case it authenticates passively), or open the hood to get to the jump terminal.

If you didn't have the metal key, and the fob battery died, then you couldn't unlock the car door, neither with SKS or wirelessly, as it requires the fob to transmit.

If the car battery died, the fob could transmit all day long til its battery died, but the car would not be able to 'hear' it to unlock the door, let alone have any power to actually unlock the door even if it could hear the fob.